How much do you invested in cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry HiFiHoney, if this guy is your friend, but this guy is full on himself.

J

JKL1960

Audioholic
Frankly, if you've dropped $20K or $30K on an audio system and want to drop $2K on wires I really don't care. What bugs me is the number of people who have a very modest system and spend a huge amount on wire with the unreasonable expectation that it will improve the sound.

My own opinion on fancy designer wires is that wire shouldn't change sound. I have no doubt that some designer interconnects are designed to change sound. If it attenuates the high end resulting in a warmer sound you might like that. I don't. I consider that wire broken. The fact is that good quality RG6 will get the signal there in perfect condition. In my opinion this makes cheap old coax better than any high end wire that might colour sound. If the high end wire doesn't colour sound then sonically it doesn't work any better than plain old coax. Money was just wasted. (I'm a cheap SOB. :p)

I have a medium end setup, surround speakers and amp about $5K, but if I was to use really high end equipment I would deliberately hook it up with plain jane cheap wire just to freak people out.

If a wire changes the sound it's broken. I would also never consider the human ear as an adequate test for finding broken wire. Sensitive test equipment doesn't tire and gives consistent repeatable results.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
My cables dance! When I disconnect them and jump rope with them they dance! And if I stick them in my ear they sound Transparent!:D But I'm still a snob? Maybe I'll get KaKa Kables and I'll stop being a snob, oh and re-subscribe to Stereovile mag.:D

My HT system is quite modest compared to my 2.0.

Panny 42" plasma
Panny SAXR 700 1080p receiver
Panny DVD S-97
Gallos surround
Gallo Sub
All BJC cabling
Direct TV hi-def receiver

total about $5000.00

Krell KST-amp
Krell KSL -pre
Proceed PCD-CD
MIT cabling
Accoustat electrostaic speakers

new about $15,000.00 back in '91

Last edited:
J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Not to worry guys. Mr. Chad is just rubbing our faces in it. He likes throwing the term "snob" around so much he used it to define members in other forums as well in his fourth post:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=361999#post361999

Not that it really matters but I forgot to list the Monster 3500 power unit, I have another Monster strip with only lights bit no meter but cant recall model, I also left out a Luxman T117 tuner (it dont look like a big deal but it rates #7 on the top 100 tuners of all time shootout, I also left out a Sony AVS 3500 system control and the Pioneer Hidef DVR cable box, all video runs with Audioquest YIQ3 Silver Component cables, I also run budget HDMI but Comp cables smoke it.
Thanks for the tips and help with pics, I still want to post new more detailed pics after I peak around at other systems, some of you make me real jealous, others make me smile cause I see you guys are on your way, tho mine isnt a super elite system I went Pro Logic in the early mid 90's and have stepped up every couple years to get where I am now......so I see myself in many here, I hit a wall a few years ago when a disease took over and now I am disabled but I have come far enough to be pretty happy for a bit longer hehehe!
There is a great spirit of help and support in these forums, makes other forums I participate in look really silly and snobish......cheers!

Oddly enough, he writes that he uses "budget HDMI" cables, Sony equipment and Monster equipment. And then he goes on to wite about "jealousy" and snobishness [sic] (he tossing that term around so much you think he'd learn how to spell it correctly). There are just too many contradictions in his posts for it to be real.

Most importantly, he begins his post with how one of his Monster units has "only lights bit [sic...again] no meter." I see now what is most important to the op. :p He does seem to like discussing what he has, what others don't have, and how true and right he is cabling scientology. A troll is a troll is a troll.

majorloser

majorloser

The title of this thread says it all, "How much do you invest in cables?"

Cables are NOT an investment. There is no appreciation in value from the purchase. They either work properly or they do not. Though, don't get me wrong, quality of construction and appearances are worth significant merit.

The thread should read, "How much money did you waste on cables?"
(And I'm sure we have all done it at one time or another)

And for those that bought cables made from some precious metal....
You won't live long enough for the metal to be worth more than you paid.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
The title of this thread says it all, "How much do you invest in cables?"

Cables are NOT an investment. There is no appreciation in value from the purchase. They either work properly or they do not. Though, don't get me wrong, quality of construction and appearances are worth significant merit.

The thread should read, "How much money did you waste on cables?"
(And I'm sure we have all done it at one time or another)

And for those that bought cables made from some precious metal....
You won't live long enough for the metal to be worth more than you paid.

I find it truly odd that I'm agreeing with you loser! jk You hit it right on the head...again! Investment. Precious metal. Sheeesh.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I've got a pair of MUSIC HOSES for sale, any takers?:D

Also some cheap land by the Everglades, you can set up a nice cable factory, that's if you don't mind the gators though! Hey that's it! Alligator- skin covered cables, now that's snobbish. They go great with my Gucci loafers.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
With any luck no amount of age, wisdom and income is going to make me think it's okay to start tossing around terms like "mildly retarded" and "stupid" in places where people are sure to be offended.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
With any luck no amount of age, wisdom and income is going to make me think it's okay to start tossing around terms like "mildly retarded" and "stupid" in places where people are sure to be offended.
You have both tact and thoughtfulness in your corner Alex. :)

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
And which one are you, John? :p
I am not but one Halon. :)

Much to my chagrin, I have philosophical engagements with a good friend of mine that in communication it is one's job to make the other understand. That assumes that one wants first to understand, and that he reads (listens to) plain language as it is written (spoken), and that he does not infer and inject all kinds of "stuff" into an otherwise plain comment.

I am not but one Halon...I am many things. :);)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Hey, didn't Matt say he's going to lock this puppy today at roughly noonish? Sooo get yer comments in while you can!:D

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I am not but one Halon. :)

Much to my chagrin, I have philosophical engagements with a good friend of mine that in communication it is one's job to make the other understand. That assumes that one wants first to understand, and that he reads (listens to) plain language as it is written (spoken), and that he does not infer and inject all kinds of "stuff" into an otherwise plain comment.

I am not but one Halon...I am many things. :);)
LOL - very nice. :D

Hey, didn't Matt say he's going to lock this puppy today at roughly noonish? Sooo get yer comments in while you can!:D
With ten minutes left - I'm still in there! :D

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Lock it up? Why? We are engaged in civil discourse on the myths of cable enhancements. That is all.

We also shot the op down down for his disparaging words to those that have disagreed with him, but as been repeatedly written: ask a direct simple question, and you will get many members here eager to help. Ask a convoluted question (post) inundated with hype and myth, and, in the vent, this is what you get. Right? Am I not right (meaning correct)?

I find it ironic that the op has cast the term of "snob" on those here that don't agree with spending oodles of hard-earned money on cabling, yet the op has admittedly spent $2,000.00 +. Get good quality cables, yes. Spend ten times, or one-hundred times the mean? Why??? :confused:

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I just gave him my first ever negative point for that post. Congratulations Chad. Welcome to the dark side of this forum...

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I just gave him my first ever negative point for that post. Congratulations Chad. Welcome to the dark side of this forum...
Hahahahaha.

"First ever negative point." We could have a discussion on that. :p

Bravo Halon! ;)

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
"First ever negative point." We could have a discussion on that. :p
Ahhh... damn. Well, "When in the Steam Vent, prepare to do battle" It does get hot in here from time to time, but outright name-calling and condescending attitude I felt warranted a bit more than the usual "Oh no you did-n't" approach. Hence, red chicklet (or whatever those things are called). :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis