Behringer A500 Amplifier: Objective Test Results

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
It will also lower your chances of ever hearing any sound ever again.
This assumes an irresponsible listening habit. Sir, I am one that uses ear protection when I vacuum a carpet.

-Chris

majorloser

majorloser

It will also lower your chances of ever hearing any sound ever again.
On a good note......

eventually the blood WILL stop dripping out of your ears :D

"....in nearfield application" LMFAO

WmAx is da' MAN!!!!!!!!

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
The other posters have covered the reason nicely. I did it for the same ultimate reason(unusually high SPL with no clipping). I will be doing editing of uncompressed live recordings. I can not risk amplifier clipping in this application. I believe that about 1000-1200 watts RMS per stereo channel in nearfield application will lower my probability of experiencing amplifier clipping.

-Chris
I bow before the Lord of the Amp.

it's like the lord of the dance but no tights :D

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
...once you start pushing them the difference is obvious. The A500's just do not seem to give out and if I tried to make them give out I think that speaker damage would result. At reference levels everything is crystal clear...
What I notice is I now get clean sound at even insanely high dB's without any strain to the amps. My previous amp was a B&K 7270 which was rated at 200wpc.
Hold on a minute though. If you're both using powered subs to handle the bass, which I understand is what principally draws power from an amp, then surely even a moderately powered receiver wouldn't come close to being overtaxed, given that it'd only be playing mids and highs. No? :confused:

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Hold on a minute though. If you're both using powered subs to handle the bass, which I understand is what principally draws power from an amp, then surely even a moderately powered receiver wouldn't come close to being overtaxed, given that it'd only be playing mids and highs. No? :confused:
No, any signal could cause an amp to clip not just low frequencies. I am sure it is overkill, but my high end sounds cleaner when I have it reference levels on movies or playing a song loud. Is my reveiver loud enough by itself? You bet it is the RXV 2600 is no slouch. But now it is even better and looks really cool:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Did anyone ever take some pictures of the inside of the Behringer A500? I would be currious to see what they have under the hood.:)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Yeah that is what they are, but bridged mono that is 3300x4. Don't worry about much because whether you run them in stereo or bridged mode you WON"T be lacking for power.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah that is what they are, but bridged mono that is 3300x4. Don't worry about much because whether you run them in stereo or bridged mode you WON"T be lacking for power.
My Teac CR-H220 has bigger caps than it does.:D The power supply should more than make up for it. Perhaps a mod would be in order for the Behringer, there is certain room for more capacitors.:)

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Perhaps, at the price they are someone who knows what they are doing could experiment. I don't have any issues with the way they sound though. Not for less $1100.00 for all six. Try finding 12 to six channels with balanced inputs for that kind of money.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Perhaps, at the price they are someone who knows what they are doing could experiment. I don't have any issues with the way they sound though. Not for less $1100.00 for all six. Try finding 12 to six channels with balanced inputs for that kind of money.
Are they true Balanced inputs? I have found that many lower end gear that have XLRs aren't truly balanced.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Are they true Balanced inputs? I have found that many lower end gear that have XLRs aren't truly balanced.
Yes they are, not the highest quality ones, but you can't complain for the price they are.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Three questions: 1) Is there a fan (hence fan noise)? 2) Does it have standard RCA inputs for connecting a CD player? 3) Does it have standard 5-way binding posts for the speakers?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
no fan.

it has rca inputs, but you will need a preamp to control volume ... unless you want to control the left and right signals separately using the gain knobs.

i've used both bare wire and banana plugs ... never tried spades.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Three questions: 1) Is there a fan (hence fan noise)? 2) Does it have standard RCA inputs for connecting a CD player? 3) Does it have standard 5-way binding posts for the speakers?
Only if you have a CD player with a variable output should you direct connect it to the amplifier.

M

miky702

Audiophyte
Is a500 a good amp used mainly for subs? I have 2 small 10inch subs that each of them requires 250watt at 6ohm. A500 is rated a bit below that but I'm thinking maybe just 1 a500 can power both subs. Is that a good idea? Any other recommendations? Maybe a more powerful amp?

pmac

pmac

Junior Audioholic
Help AND Thanks IN ADVANCE!

The Audio Critic Magazine measured a Behringer A500 amplifier(test measurements made using Audio Precision Analyzer and PowerCube). I thought that people here would be interested in the results since it appears to be a superb value.

Of special note...

-bridgable to use a high power monoblock
-balanced and unbalanced inputs
-rock steady stability into 4 ohm loads and into highly inductive/capacitive loads(required for some rare difficult loads that many recievers may have problems driving)
-$180 street price!

Signal:Noise: -99dB

Crosstalk: -55dB

Frequency Response: -0.3dB @ 10Hz, -0.1dB @ 20Hz, 0.0db @ 1000 Hz, -0.2dB @ 10kHz, 0.6dB @ 20kHz,-2dB @ 40kHz

138 watts @ 8 ohms @ 1000Hz @ 1.000% THD+N, both channels driven

120 watts @ 8 ohms @ 20Hz @ 0.030% THD+N, 1 channel driven

120 watts @ 8 ohms @ 1000Hz @ 0.025% THD+N, 1 channel driven

120 watts @ 8 ohms @ 20000Hz @ 0.045% THD+N, 1 channel driven

220 watts @ 4 ohms @ 1000Hz @ 1.000% THD+N, both channels driven

180 watts @ 4 ohms @ 20Hz @ 0.056% THD+N, 1 channel driven

180 watts @ 4 ohms @ 1000Hz @ 0.050% THD+N, 1 channel driven

180 watts @ 4 ohms @ 20000Hz @ 0.050% THD+N, 1 channel driven

Harmonics of THD are primarily 2nd order, with subsequent harmonics approaching or under -100dB.

Power output was tested from 0 degrees phase resistive load(results given above) and into other phase angles up to +/- 60 degrees. Little variation of output voltage occured, regardless of phase angle.

-Chris
So for an economical solution would this be recommended to use as an Amp for driving the lows on a pair of front speakers that are Bi-Amp capable? I hve or intend to have once it is all set up properly 7.1 with the new 3808 i just picked up. and want to Bi-Amp the front B&W's I also just picked up. The 138 wat into 8 Ohmx2 is relatively close to the Denon per channel specs. I was under the impression is was not a stereo 8 Ohm device (I am new to allot of this stuff. So what I assume usually is wrong :)

I have another question please, I really need advice for this as there is an aspect to this whole decoding thing that looses me.

I have a PS3 for Blu-Ray (I have an HD DVD player as well with similar issue).

1. I hear the PS3 is not DTS HD Master audio capable for decoding, nor is it capable of Bitstream output to send the audio direct to the receiver to allow the receiver do the decoding? True False on both counts?
To further this, I look into the PS3 BD Player settings and it has an audio setting and it says PCM and "Bitstream" huh?! So i dont get it, PLEASE EXPLAIN to a newbie in laymans terms for the most part.
What setting should it be on when I have a DTS Master BD Movie such as the New Simpsons movie? (Dont pick on my movie choices :) I have two young boys)
The movie doesnt allow me to choose any other option in the movie settings for Dolby 5.1 for example. Just different languages.

The Receiver doesnt give me decoding options on Blu-Ray once the PS3 is turned on, the DTS and Dolby disappear, it just gives direct or standard and some other simulated options.
So basically...
We have 3 settings, The PS3, the actual movies settings, and the receivers settings.
Lat option question is this...I fit is a movie for Dolby HD Lossless aution should any of the above change? Will I be required to make changes based on each flick i watch?
Where do I start to ensure I am getting the proper sound.

Wow thats allot of questions, but I need to know, OCD compells me to learn and ensure I have all the info I need so I hope you are all pros willing to help a layman like me :)

Thanks IN ADVANCE

Happy Holodays

S

starflight

Junior Audioholic
I am so tempted to buy a pair of these for bridged usage. but every where I check it is $200 with free shipping. That's not a bad price but does anyone still know if there are any cheaper places to buy this?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis