Subwoofer repair - Minnesota

J

Jack N

Audioholic
Does anyone know of a repair shop in Minnesota or western Wisconsin that fixes subwoofers?

J

Jack N

Audioholic
Ya, I thought they would too. Unfortunately they only repair drivers, nothing on the electronics side. Thanks though.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Does anyone know of a repair shop in Minnesota or western Wisconsin that fixes subwoofers?
What subwoofer and what is wrong with it? Where do you live in Minnesota? The class D amps that are in subs, are an absolute misery to work on. The other issue is that almost no one issues service manuals any more. Without a service manual no one can begin to service a unit like that.

If you tell me what you have, and what is the matter with it, and you live in, or close to the metro, I may be able to help you if the unit is realistically serviceable. That is one reason why I have such a lot of classy older gear. Service manuals were easily available in times past, and I have been able to keep my good older gear in prime condition in the main. I have a pretty decent service area at the back of my equipment chase.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
What subwoofer and what is wrong with it? Where do you live in Minnesota? The class D amps that are in subs, are an absolute misery to work on. The other issue is that almost no one issues service manuals any more. Without a service manual no one can begin to service a unit like that.

If you tell me what you have, and what is the matter with it, and you live in, or close to the metro, I may be able to help you if the unit is realistically serviceable. That is one reason why I have such a lot of classy older gear. Service manuals were easily available in times past, and I have been able to keep my good older gear in prime condition in the main. I have a pretty decent service area at the back of my equipment chase.
What a nice thing to do.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I wish I had a better setup for electronics repair. Still missing a few important pieces of diagnostic equipment. I still follow a few channels on Youtube that do electronics repair and I think those plate amps are serviceable as long as there is not too much of that horrid glue poured over the components. You can break the circuit down to a switch mode power supply, pre-amp (which includes the crossover and filtering) and the amplifier section. As many amps have an auto-on feature, there is also a constant source supply to run the start up circuit. Once you have seen enough of these amps, you develop the ability to identify the various parts of the circuitry even without a schematic.

The majority of failures seem typical: bad capacitors or blown output transistors. Old glue can also become conductive. A single bad cap can cause the switch mode power supply to fail. Repairability also hinges on the use of surface mount components. If any small surface mounted parts become defective, you need a digital microscope to be good at replacement. Resistors, caps and transistors can be replaced with a soldering iron, but surface mount ICs need hot air.

The repair costs can be hard to justify on a $250 sub but for a good quality unit it would be worth investigating. It's getting difficult to find competent repair technicians, though, willing to take on these types of repairs.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I wish I had a better setup for electronics repair. Still missing a few important pieces of diagnostic equipment. I still follow a few channels on Youtube that do electronics repair and I think those plate amps are serviceable as long as there is not too much of that horrid glue poured over the components. You can break the circuit down to a switch mode power supply, pre-amp (which includes the crossover and filtering) and the amplifier section. As many amps have an auto-on feature, there is also a constant source supply to run the start up circuit. Once you have seen enough of these amps, you develop the ability to identify the various parts of the circuitry even without a schematic.

The majority of failures seem typical: bad capacitors or blown output transistors. Old glue can also become conductive. A single bad cap can cause the switch mode power supply to fail. Repairability also hinges on the use of surface mount components. If any small surface mounted parts become defective, you need a digital microscope to be good at replacement. Resistors, caps and transistors can be replaced with a soldering iron, but surface mount ICs need hot air.

The repair costs can be hard to justify on a $250 sub but for a good quality unit it would be worth investigating. It's getting difficult to find competent repair technicians, though, willing to take on these types of repairs.
The problem is that schematics are not published, let alone a service manual. In my view that needs a change in law. It is a disgrace. As I said that is why I use as little modern equipment as possible. Peter Walker included the circuits and all the relevant test points and voltages in the instruction manual. He respected his customer's intelligence. If you needed help, it was not uncommon for him to be on the phone!

For the OP, if his sub is decent and not a junk product, then probably the best solution is to fit a new plate amp, or convert it to a passive sub.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis