Bi-amping Denon X1300W and Klipsch RP-280F

P

Petrolhead

Audiophyte
I have a problem with sound quality at high volume, seems distortion or clipping starts at between 75 and 80 percent.

There is a power meter on the receiver that show high output if i set it at 80 percent and the meter quickly falls of and the sound turns bad.

I only run two channels. Will it help Bi-amping the speakers and spread the load over more channels, or will it be the same?

I don’t need that just more power, just a little. Or do I need something else to run it?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have a problem with sound quality at high volume, seems distortion or clipping starts at between 75 and 80 percent.

There is a power meter on the receiver that show high output if i set it at 80 percent and the meter quickly falls of and the sound turns bad.

I only run two channels. Will it help Bi-amping the speakers and spread the load over more channels, or will it be the same?

I don’t need that just more power, just a little. Or do I need something else to run it?
It the same power supply, so no it won't help. Running them full range at loud volumes can cause them to distort. Add in some clipping too, depending on the content, and it's hard to pinpoint exactly which.. Can you demo those speakers with a more powerful amp?

P

Petrolhead

Audiophyte
It the same power supply, so no it won't help. Running them full range at loud volumes can cause them to distort. Add in some clipping too, depending on the content, and it's hard to pinpoint exactly which.. Can you demo those speakers with a more powerful amp?
Thank you for your reply. I unfortunately can’t get access to anything like that, but what you are saying is that it could be the speakers also?

I am also running a Klipsch R115-SW.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you for your reply. I unfortunately can’t get access to anything like that, but what you are saying is that it could be the speakers also?

I am also running a Klipsch R115-SW.
What do you have the crossover set to? And do you have them set to small or large?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
According to the Specs from Klipsch these speakers are very efficient at 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m. (About one watt.) That means they don't need a much power to get really Loud.

I'm guessing that @Petrolhead is driving them too hard, and is into Clipping and may have damaged them if the duration was too long. Get a Sound Meter and see what the level is 3 feet away from the speaker just as it starts to distort. If you don't have a meter, use a free App on a Cell phone. Please advise the level you obtain and we can go from there.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

My hunch is that you are overloading that horn tweeter. Crossover is 1750 still in a significant portion of the power band. I suspect if you did use more power you would blow the tweeters, and those are known for that at high power.

Klipsch speakers play pretty loud and I don't know why you would want to play them louder.

Designing a really high powered speaker for concert level is a formidable undertaking. You are not going to do it at the price level of those speakers.

P

Petrolhead

Audiophyte
What do you have the crossover set to? And do you have them set to small or large?
Thank you!

Crossover for front speakers are set to 40Hz on the receiver. Sub is on LFE port and setting for that is LFE + Main. «LPF for for LFE :120HZ

Fronts are set to Large.

P

Petrolhead

Audiophyte
According to the Specs from Klipsch these speakers are very efficient at 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m. (About one watt.) That means they don't need a much power to get really Loud.

I'm guessing that @Petrolhead is driving them too hard, and is into Clipping and may have damaged them if the duration was too long. Get a Sound Meter and see what the level is 3 feet away from the speaker just as it starts to distort. If you don't have a meter, use a free App on a Cell phone. Please advise the level you obtain and we can go from there.
Thank you!

I don’t think they are damaged. I am not first owner, but they play awesome. I have just gently tried pushing them and they have been klipping only for seconds.

Ok I will try that when I am home alone and report back to you.

P

Petrolhead

Audiophyte
My hunch is that you are overloading that horn tweeter. Crossover is 1750 still in a significant portion of the power band. I suspect if you did use more power you would blow the tweeters, and those are known for that at high power.

Klipsch speakers play pretty loud and I don't know why you would want to play them louder.

Designing a really high powered speaker for concert level is a formidable undertaking. You are not going to do it at the price level of those speakers.
Yea you are right regarding volume, but sometimes I just want a bit of concert level. The maximum height on the ceiling in this room is about 4,5 meters or 15ft, so I might be better of with a couple RF7’s or something?

One thing I struggle to understand is why Klipsch rate the speakers at 150W, as you guys say with their sensitivity I have a hard time understanding this. This is why I first suspected my amplifier. As this is 80W per channel. Way below the speakers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis