Upgrading svs pb-1000

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
Both really and those two pics don't seem to show the whole story....what are the two speakers under the tv, tho?
Both the shelf speakers and center are some older Infinity Primus, with my reciever being a new Denon AVR-X1700H.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Both the shelf speakers and center are some older Infinity Primus, with my reciever being a new Denon AVR-X1700H.
Dang, didn't even notice that was a center. The placement of all three is pretty bad, probably the root of your problem.

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
Dang, didn't even notice that was a center. The placement of all three is pretty bad, probably the root of your problem.
Yeah it's only a 3.1 system. I would like to turn it to 5.1, but the room is pretty narrow and would be hard to run speaker wire everywhere. Should the 2 shelf speakers be wider apart? Or should the sub be behind the LP?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I did. Seems like the 12s is the better value, but which is the better overall sub on your opinion?
IMO the rsl is the better overall subwoofer, and the better value. To be clear though, the svs has a premium attached to it in the way of the “bill of rights”. Their CS is exemplary, but that’s why their subs cost more.
RSL also has amazing customer service and is a nice family owned company. I vote for the RSL.

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
IMO the rsl is the better overall subwoofer, and the better value. To be clear though, the svs has a premium attached to it in the way of the “bill of rights”. Their CS is exemplary, but that’s why their subs cost more.
RSL also has amazing customer service and is a nice family owned company. I vote for the RSL.
Sounds like a deal. Would one 12s be better than two of the 10s's?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Main advantage of multiple subs is smoothing response thru the room....if only concerned about your own seat, a single sub may suffice in terms of response at your seat. I'd always prefer duals, and generally matched ones to make integration a bit easier but there are such as Geddes' that go for more dissimilar subs.....

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
Main advantage of multiple subs is smoothing response thru the room....if only concerned about your own seat, a single sub may suffice in terms of response at your seat. I'd always prefer duals, and generally matched ones to make integration a bit easier but there are such as Geddes' that go for more dissimilar subs.....
Well I think I'll go with the single 12s at this time and maybe get another next year. This whole thing is a process, upgrading things one year at a time...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I think I'll go with the single 12s at this time and maybe get another next year. This whole thing is a process, upgrading things one year at a time...
Design is somewhat involved too. Might even just try the simple tool available with REW (RoomEq Wizard)'s room calculator (don't need a measurement mic to use)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sounds like a deal. Would one 12s be better than two of the 10s's?
Well as noted, multiple subs are most effective for smoothing bass response throughout the room, while also adding headroom and reducing distortion. My thoughts are usually to buy the single best sub you can afford now, and then start saving right away for a second one. If the pb1000 was ok, then you will be very satisfied with the 12s. Then just get another as soon as you can. If it were my room, I would work on the front wall and speaker/tv placement. I would recommend lowering the tv, and moving the mains to the sides of the tv. Any pics of the back of the room? Might be able to help think of some way to place surrounds.

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
Well as noted, multiple subs are most effective for smoothing bass response throughout the room, while also adding headroom and reducing distortion. My thoughts are usually to buy the single best sub you can afford now, and then start saving right away for a second one. If the pb1000 was ok, then you will be very satisfied with the 12s. Then just get another as soon as you can. If it were my room, I would work on the front wall and speaker/tv placement. I would recommend lowering the tv, and moving the mains to the sides of the tv. Any pics of the back of the room? Might be able to help think of some way to place surrounds.
I might have to put a couple shelves up to hold the speakers and reciever, and get rid of the old TV stand. This would make room to the outside of the TV and room for the sub towards the middle.

There is quite a bit of room behind the main LP as seen in the pic. It is taken about 20' behind the LP. Excuse the mess, its Christmas with 5 kids...
20231226_230531.jpg
20231226_230531.jpg

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
As someone who owns an RSL12S and 3 Speedwoofer 10's, I think you are going about this backasswards.
Get some real speakers first, then worry about the Boom Boom.
Boom Boom is the easy part.

Unless you are a total basshead and like that sort of thing, even one 12S is going to overwhelm your meager setup.

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
As someone who owns an RSL12S and 3 Speedwoofer 10's, I think you are going about this backasswards.
Get some real speakers first, then worry about the Boom Boom.
Boom Boom is the easy part.

Unless you are a total basshead and like that sort of thing, even one 12S is going to overwhelm your meager setup.
Noted, however, that is a job for another time. I started this whole thing as a budget build and now find myself going down the wormhole! What speakers would be a good fit for this room IYO?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Noted, however, that is a job for another time. I started this whole thing as a budget build and now find myself going down the wormhole! What speakers would be a good fit for this room IYO?
Well, that gets into a whole 'nother ballgame. Many different paths.

Thats a big space...maybe something like the Heco 1000 towers that can be had at half price on sale.

Not to sound demeaning, but your current speakers are about as bottom of the barrel as it gets.
Adding a top notch sub to those will just make them sound even more inadequate.

I would bet that your current sub can be coaxed into much better performance also with a little work.

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
Well, that gets into a whole 'nother ballgame. Many different paths.

Thats a big space...maybe something like the Heco 1000 towers that can be had at half price on sale.

Not to sound demeaning, but your current speakers are about as bottom of the barrel as it gets.
Adding a top notch sub to those will just make them sound even more inadequate.

I would bet that your current sub can be coaxed into much better performance also with a little work.
Not demeaning at all, I knew that going in to this build. I hadn't planned on even purchasing the pb1000, but the old sub I inherited was awful. I felt upgrading the sub was the first thing I needed to do, now I will have to focus on the other speakers.

Do the Hecco speakers come with a center channel as well, or is all this separate?

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
Next question would be, will my current reciever be able to handle them (denon x1700h)?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Next question would be, will my current reciever be able to handle them (denon x1700h)?
Center would be seperate....with better speakers, you might not even need a center though given your layout.
Something like the Hecos would provide a pretty convincing phantom center effect that close together.
Your Denon will be fine for whatever you end up with.

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
Center would be seperate....with better speakers, you might not even need a center though given your layout.
Something like the Hecos would provide a pretty convincing phantom center effect that close together.
Your Denon will be fine for whatever you end up with.
I think I will try to rearrange my setup a bit, might get a narrower center stand. I'm looking online for end of year deals right now, and klipsch has some good ones (so it would seem). What are your thoughts on the R-34C or the RC-62 II center channel speakers? They are on sale for $199 and $179 respectively. AS for the rest, there aren't a whole lot of book shelf or tower speakers to choose from. They have the R-610F for $164 each and the RW-51M for $399 each.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis