Upgrading svs pb-1000

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
I've had my svs pb-1000 for 2 years now and am looking to upgrade. Used mainly for home theater, room size 14'x35'x7', in my basement.
First question, pb-2000 pro or sb-3000 pro? Next question would be do I sell my 1000 or put it behind the seating and use as a 2nd sub (or vice versa)?

Thanks!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you are going to pair the PB-1000 with another sub, it should be a ported sub like the PB-2000 Pro. Do not try to run the PB-1000 with the SB-3000. I would keep the PB-1000 and run it with another sub.

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
If you are going to pair the PB-1000 with another sub, it should be a ported sub like the PB-2000 Pro. Do not try to run the PB-1000 with the SB-3000. I would keep the PB-1000 and run it with another sub.
I know it is typically room dependant, but which sub should be in the front and which in the rear? I think I would have to get their wireless adapter for the rear sub, do they work well?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ed usually recommends not running the 1000 series with the 2000 series due to the phase response and port tunes resulting in cancellations. It’s the same with the sb3k and I agree with shady not to use that with a pb1000. If you’re staying with svs, it might be worth asking about trading up. If they won’t give you anything, what I’d do is sell the pb1000 and invest in a different pair altogether. That’s a pretty large space, and considering you’re looking for an upgrade after two years makes me think it’s time for something better. IMO Rythmik, RSL, PSA, monolith and HSU for example offer better value overall. Depending on budget, I would probably recommend a pair of RSL 12s.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I know it is typically room dependant, but which sub should be in the front and which in the rear? I think I would have to get their wireless adapter for the rear sub, do they work well?
If your going to do mismatched subs, I would put the weaker sub closest to the LP.

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
Ed usually recommends not running the 1000 series with the 2000 series due to the phase response and port tunes resulting in cancellations. It’s the same with the sb3k and I agree with shady not to use that with a pb1000. If you’re staying with svs, it might be worth asking about trading up. If they won’t give you anything, what I’d do is sell the pb1000 and invest in a different pair altogether. That’s a pretty large space, and considering you’re looking for an upgrade after two years makes me think it’s time for something better. IMO Rythmik, RSL, PSA, monolith and HSU for example offer better value overall. Depending on budget, I would probably recommend a pair of RSL 12s.
It's not that I am all that dissatisfied with the 1000, but it seems to distort a bit at times.

If I were to sell the 1000, would the pb-2000 be a better option than the sb-3000?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It's not that I am all that dissatisfied with the 1000, but it seems to distort a bit at times.

If I were to sell the 1000, would the pb-2000 be a better option than the sb-3000?
Well below about 35hz the pb/PC2k is a better option than the sb3k. But anywhere above that the sb3k wins. IMO you should be looking to have at least two subs, and ideally they’d match. Two pb/pc2000 pros would be a very big upgrade with more extension, more output, much less distortion and the ability to help smooth out the response. I personally think that the rsl 12s is a better subwoofer than the 2k series, but you’re already in the svs ecosystem so…..maybe a pair of pb3000’s?

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
Well below about 35hz the pb/PC2k is a better option than the sb3k. But anywhere above that the sb3k wins. IMO you should be looking to have at least two subs, and ideally they’d match. Two pb/pc2000 pros would be a very big upgrade with more extension, more output, much less distortion and the ability to help smooth out the response. I personally think that the rsl 12s is a better subwoofer than the 2k series, but you’re already in the svs ecosystem so…..maybe a pair of pb3000’s?
I'm trying not to spend more than $1000, and right now the pb-2000 are on sale for $899. I would not be opposed to REL, but like you said, I'm already in the svs ecosystem.

My plans are to just upgrade something every other year or so, so possibly would add a 2nd sub either next year or the year after that. Would the pb-2000 be worth the upgrade from my original 1000, or would it be worth while to go for the pc2000 or even pb3000?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'm trying not to spend more than $1000, and right now the pb-2000 are on sale for $899. I would not be opposed to REL, but like you said, I'm already in the svs ecosystem.

My plans are to just upgrade something every other year or so, so possibly would add a 2nd sub either next year or the year after that. Would the pb-2000 be worth the upgrade from my original 1000, or would it be worth while to go for the pc2000 or even pb3000?
I’m assuming you meant RSL, and not REL?
IMO, the 2000 series is definitely an upgrade to the 1000. Is that a 1000 pro?
The pb3k is imo, SVS’s best value subwoofer.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That is abthought. I've seen a pair of lightly used pb1000 on local sale, but my amp only has 2 sub outputs.
Yes. As HD said the signal can be split.
Fwiw, my opinion is that high quality bass is an investment. The 1000 series is a gateway subwoofer, and if you’re spending money, it’s worth going bigger.
Is yours the pro with 12” driver? Or the older 10” one?

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
I’m assuming you meant RSL, and not REL?
IMO, the 2000 series is definitely an upgrade to the 1000. Is that a 1000 pro?
The pb3k is imo, SVS’s best value subwoofer.
Yes, meant RSL (auto correct).

The 1000 is not a pro.

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
Yes. As HD said the signal can be split.
Fwiw, my opinion is that high quality bass is an investment. The 1000 series is a gateway subwoofer, and if you’re spending money, it’s worth going bigger.
Is yours the pro with 12” driver? Or the older 10” one?
The older 10".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis