Marantz AV 10 15.4CH AV Processor Bench Test Results!

M

multisport4me

Audioholic
I been telling audio/video users that. My Yamaha Aventage has a lot of bells and whistles. I don't game and don't use/have a 8K tv. Or do I have the need for One of those fancy auto room correction apps that you can use with your PC to watch the squiggly lines go by and go oh you see I improved it by 1%.
Not sure if you're referring to latency or the need (or lack thereof) of room correction. Like you, I don't game so I cannot speak to latency. If you're not using any DSP functions I would imagine Pure Direct is still very very low latency if you are a gamer using the analog inputs. But again, I'm not a gamer and I don't know if any reviewers have measured game latency using the analog inputs.

As far as squiggly lines and 1% improvement....I ain't touching that one with a 10 foot pole. Room correction is almost as divisive as religion and politics. I'll just say, I like RC to get me a good 24 miles or so and then end up tweaking to what my ears like in the last couple of miles. Outside of that, I'm Switzerland - to each his own.

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
"As far as squiggly lines and 1% improvement....I ain't touching that one with a 10 foot pole. Room correction is almost as divisive as religion and politics. I'll just say, I like RC to get me a good 24 miles or so."

Most don't use/need every bell or whistle. I never wanted or needed Analog 7.1. Like you stated as for your use. Basically irrelevant.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Wait?! What?! Could it be so? Even the best of the best can have a slip?:)
View attachment 64457
rong. 7.1CH can be used for 2.0 of course, just using L and R inputs. I wrote Marantz to ask how could I bypass internal DAC now that they have removed the 7.1CH analog inputs and I have to use the normal RCA input. And you can see the reply: IT CANNOT BE BYPASSED
I'm sorry but that is wrong. My measurements prove the AV 10 have a true analog bypass. The analog inputs to output path are flat to 80kHz, the limit of my test gear. If there was an ADC conversion, you would see a sharp rolloff at 1/2 Nyquist frequency. That's not happening here.

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
I'm sorry but that is wrong. My measurements prove the AV 10 have a true analog bypass. The analog inputs to output path are flat to 80kHz, the limit of my test gear. If there was an ADC conversion, you would see a sharp rolloff at 1/2 Nyquist frequency. That's not happening here.
@gene I Quoted the original poster's comment that's why I asked for more clarification.
So @Deckard71 is Not correct in his Assumption of the bypass, I guess he has a little more schooling to do. Thank you for clearing that up @gene Really appreciate it. Andrew and I were discussing this in a chat, he and I came to the same conclusion that he is wrong. :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
@gene I Quoted the original poster's comment that's why I asked for more clarification.
So @Deckard71 is Not correct in his Assumption of the bypass, I guess he has a little more schooling to do. Thank you for clearing that up @gene Really appreciate it. Andrew and I were discussing this in a chat, he and I came to the same conclusion that he is wrong. :)
In order for the ADC to be engaged and me not see it, Fs would have to be 192kHz. I doubt Marantz is employing 192kHz ADCs and still I would have likely seen a rise in noisefloor. I sent this thread to the designer of the AV 10 to get his input. Regardless, from my measurements, the Analog inputs are transparent well within the audio band and beyond the limits of human hearing.

D

Deckard71

Junior Audioholic
assumption? Is the reply from MARANTZ to my query

read it twice

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
assumption? Is the reply from MARANTZ to my query

read it twice
"Current AV10, cinema 40, 50 etc… the new series" @Deckard71 your comment.

Gene stated your Assumptions is wrong regardless of what Maranta sent you.
I ask You first, for a little more clarification, you came back with" Current and 40, 30 models. Maybe there's a "Lack of Communication" :)

Last edited:
D

Deckard71

Junior Audioholic
Gene stated your Assumptions is wrong regardless of what Maranta sent you.
I do not have any “assumption”. I was planning to upgrade from marantz sr7013 to AV10 and I contacted Marantz to know if it was still possible to have 100% analog path, now that they have removed the 7.1CH inputs, which were the only inputs that were not digitized in the former series.

I know it is painful to pay $7000 like you to find this, I am sorry for you. That’s why I asked Marantz before

if they provide a different answer, unbiased from commercial interests, I will happily upgrade. But they have to prove how the new series avoid digitizing the signal. I do not care if the DAC inside is transparent, it still invalidates the use of an external DAC

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I do not have any “assumption”. I was planning to upgrade from marantz sr7013 to AV10 and I contacted Marantz to know if it was still possible to have 100% analog path, now that they have removed the 7.1CH inputs, which were the only inputs that were not digitized in the former series.

I know it is painful to pay $7000 like you to find this, I am sorry for you. That’s why I asked Marantz before

if they provide a different answer, unbiased from commercial interests, I will happily upgrade. But they have to prove how the new series avoid digitizing the signal. I do not care if the DAC inside is transparent, it still invalidates the use of an external DAC
Again I defer you to my measurements. The analog input is ruler flat to 80kHz with > 106dB SINAD. It doesn't matter if there is an analog bypass or not. The analog inputs are transparent well beyond your hearing capabilities.

D

Deckard71

Junior Audioholic
Again I defer you to my measurements. The analog input is ruler flat to 80kHz with > 106dB SINAD. It doesn't matter if there is an analog bypass or not. The analog inputs are transparent well beyond your hearing capabilities.
So if I add an external DAC, for example a Gustard R26 that I have in mind, would I hear the sound of the Gustard even if it has been digitized by the marantz?

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic

Marantz AVR's are fantastic AVR's, we don't get the same Marantz gear here in the States that's sold over in Japan and the European market it's a lot better than what we get here in the states I could be wrong. Either way outside of my budget.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
So if I add an external DAC, for example a Gustard R26 that I have in mind, would I hear the sound of the Gustard even if it has been digitized by the marantz?
Why would you add a DAC to a Processor that already has great DACs? Use the digital output of your streamer so you can take full advantage of bass management and upmixing that the AV 10 offers.

D

Deckard71

Junior Audioholic
Why would you add a DAC to a Processor that already has great DACs? Use the digital output of your streamer so you can take full advantage of bass management and upmixing that the AV 10 offers.
But that is a different story, the point is that you cannot, even if you want. Is like asking me why do I want a car that reaches 200 miles per hour when the limit is 100

I don’t like the sound of delta-sigma DACs, I like the organic sound of R2R DACs

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
@Deckard71 Wow! You just got probably some of the best advice you could get for free, most people have to pay Gene $200 a hour for advice and expert recommendation. man's feeling generous to day.

Many have tried to debunk @gene on his website many have failed miserably.

Last edited:
D

Deckard71

Junior Audioholic
I appreciate Gene’s reply. But my “assumption” (which in fact is a reply from Marantz) is right: you cannot bypass Marantz internal DAC

M

multisport4me

Audioholic
I appreciate Gene’s reply. But my “assumption” (which in fact is a reply from Marantz) is right: you cannot bypass Marantz internal DAC
Actually, your first mistake is that you assumed. In this case, you assume an email from customer support is from the product engineer(s) that designed the damn thing. Wanna guess when Gene talks to someone at D&M whether or not they are a phone/email support person vs. someone like a product manager or product engineer? Not to mention the fact that Gene IS AN ENGINEER! I betchya a dollar the person that emailed you, is not.

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Rule #1 Boss is always right aka Gene. Rule #2 if Boss is wrong, read rule #1 again.
Look I get it, Marantz, Designed and built the AV10 and the 40-50. I'm sorry I asked for a little more clarification. My head hurts now, and I have Yamaha Aventage A4A, try dealing with Yamaha's terminology

@Deckard71 "I know it is painful to pay $7000 like you to find this, I am sorry for you" That’s why I asked Marantz before" Your comment.

I never paid close to 7K for any one piece of gear at anytime in my lifetime. Not on audio or video gear. I believe you have me Mixed up with another member I never spent that kind of money on A piece of gear at one time

. Don't feel Sorry for me I I didn't ask for your empathy. I ask for a little more Clarification on what you stated. I spent way more than 7K on new cars and trunks, motorcycles.

@AcuDefTechGuy.he has Deep Deep pockets! Millions and millions and plus he has a Cash Cow that stays in his front yard as a pet. Talk about giving Yellowstone a run for their money.:)

Last edited:
M

multisport4me

Audioholic
Back to semi-reality. Let's talk about, vaporware. :) As in - when are we getting Dirac Live Bass Control (DLBC)? Firmware U32, where are you?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis