Two channel music question. Marantz Receiver vs Yamaha integrated?

M

MacPro

Enthusiast
The two options I'm considering in my budget (used):

Option 1: Marantz SR7011 Receiver
Option 2: Yamaha A-S801 or 1100 integrated.

Speakers are 8ohm 86db, stand mounts. in a 160sqft room. No sub yet.

I'm at a bit of a cross roads in my stereo setup and I hoping I can get a little advice from people with experience. (if I'm in the correct forum area). I'm soon to be buying a amp for two channel listening only and I am torn between a receiver and integrated. Most reviews I've read, point me to an integrated only, but I like the idea go the room correction in the receiver.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
IMHO the Marantz SR7011 Receiver is definitely the way to go. It was the flagship unit when it was released and has a lot of features for you to try out and enjoy. It has a bit more power and lots of inputs and outputs to take on almost anything you'd like to put through it later. You could have a lot of fun with it.

I hope this is helpful.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd go with the avr, especially if you want to use a sub later as neither of those Yamahas have bass management.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The SR7011 will give you more flexibility in connectivity, video, and room correction. In order to use the $20 Editor app, don't go for models older than the SR7011, or the Denon AVR-X4300H, anything older you won't have that option. If you want to benefit from room correction, the app is virtually a must.

If you can find a better deal on the AVR-X4400H, it should be better in terms of audio performance (lower distortions on paper, though likely not audibly better) and may be more reliable as it should run a little cooler and have less parts to fail (no useless HDAMs and 7.1 analog inputs;)). They are sort of identical twins.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Depending on your room conditions, you will appreciate the ability to use room correction with the Marantz or the Denon that Peng suggested.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja

I'm at a bit of a cross roads in my stereo setup and I hoping I can get a little advice from people with experience. (if I'm in the correct forum area). I'm soon to be buying a amp for two channel listening only and I am torn between a receiver and integrated. Most reviews I've read, point me to an integrated only, but I like the idea go the room correction in the receiver.

It seems to me that, if you want to listen to radio, the receiver would be the way to go. Otherwise it is 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I would go with the AVR. Even if all things sound quality wise were equal, the price for dedicated 2-channel is comparatively ridiculous, IMO. Especially if you want to build a system of 100 WPC or more.

Anymore, when I use two-channel separate amps/receivers or integrated, I end up using my vintage equipment instead, and only with actual full range speakers that can reach into the middle 30hz range, or so. The other thing is I opt for significantly more displacement (8" or bigger) speakers when there are no subs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Everyone is biased about what they think is best.

Both options can sound great. I think AVR is more versatile. Just have to think about what makes you the happiest.

Some people gotta have integrated amps, some people don’t. Some gotta have AVP, some don’t. The aesthetics also play a part. Some love the aesthetics of the Integrated amps.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Everyone is biased about what they think is best.

Both options can sound great. I think AVR is more versatile. Just have to think about what makes you the happiest.

Some people gotta have integrated amps, some people don’t. Some gotta have AVP, some don’t. The aesthetics also play a part. Some love the aesthetics of the Integrated amps.
I think they're all good. Therefore, I have all the different types. There are no rules, really. Even with multiple different types of setups, I still don't have an absolute favorite. They all do something well. The AVR just happens to do all of it well, IMO. At least for what I get into.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think they're all good. Therefore, I have all the different types. There are no rules, really. Even with multiple different types of setups, I still don't have an absolute favorite. They all do something well. The AVR just happens to do all of it well, IMO. At least for what I get into.
Just different way of implementation as long as you can achieve the same end result - the sound quality you like.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

If this is an audio only system and not AV, then a receiver will not be very handy, as without a TV you can't even set it up. If there is no contemplation of having a TV screen in the set up, then avoid one.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If this is an audio only system and not AV, then a receiver will not be very handy, as without a TV you can't even set it up. If there is no contemplation of having a TV screen in the set up, then avoid one.
The front panel of an avr for a simple 2.0 or 2.1 system may take a little time and your reading glasses, but doable.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have no TV in the system and use the front panel on the AVR. Rest of the EQ and sub amp EQ is on the computer and I don't even need the remote. It's basically the same as if I had a basic 2 channel amp that has no TV menu either, but just with more features.

If I had to lie on my belly to adjust it, the bass management options would still be worth it, comparatively.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For simple 2CH, the AVR can also be treated like an integrated amp - plug and play, especially if you use Direct Mode.

The advantage of an AVR would the additional features (MusicCast music streaming and WiFi Remote Control) that you MIGHT want now or LATER. Is there a possibility that you might use more than 2CH (like for MCH movies) later? IOW, the AVR is more “backward-compatible”.

The advantage of the integrated amp is the aesthetic for some people. I probably wouldn’t mind looking at this. :D

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Late to the discussion. Two different beasts. One is a multichannel avr, and the other is a simple 2 channel integrated amp. The Yamaha will provide very good listening for 2 Ch. stereo. Many of the loaded modern AVRs focus on spreading the power amongst many speakers and can sometimes fall short on the power supply demand. If you want two channel listening, go with the Yamaha. I prefer the simplicity of a 2 channel rig.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Late to the discussion. Two different beasts. One is a multichannel avr, and the other is a simple 2 channel integrated amp. The Yamaha will provide very good listening for 2 Ch. stereo. Many of the loaded modern AVRs focus on spreading the power amongst many speakers and can sometimes fall short on the power supply demand. If you want two channel listening, go with the Yamaha. I prefer the simplicity of a 2 channel rig.
Altho most avrs benefit for 2ch use as the power supply isn't needed for other amp channels. I have an avr that's rated for 150wpc (2ch rating) but in bench testing delivered around 170wpc into 8 ohm, 235 wpc into 4 ohm (.1% thd IIRC), better than many integrateds offer (plus has on board bass management, which most 2ch integrated amps don't). It's fairly easy to use just a 2.0 or 2.1 mode....and I probably paid less for the avr than anything close in a 2ch integrated....

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Altho most avrs benefit for 2ch use as the power supply isn't needed for other amp channels. I have an avr that's rated for 150wpc (2ch rating) but in bench testing delivered around 170wpc into 8 ohm, 235 wpc into 4 ohm (.1% thd IIRC), better than many integrateds offer (plus has on board bass management, which most 2ch integrated amps don't). It's fairly easy to use just a 2.0 or 2.1 mode....and I probably paid less for the avr than anything close in a 2ch integrated....
Glad you are happy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Glad you are happy.
I do find avrs more useful....and when I had strictly 2ch gear I preferred separates....an integrated was just a receiver without a tuner :) No particular magic in the integrated form factor, altho some particular executions can measure better than others....

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
I do find avrs more useful....and when I had strictly 2ch gear I preferred separates....an integrated was just a receiver without a tuner :) No particular magic in the integrated form factor, altho some particular executions can measure better than others....
I find modern AVRs to be way too much in a box. Let me sell you 11 speakers. Nauseating.:oops:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I find modern AVRs to be way too much in a box. Let me sell you 11 speakers. Nauseating.:oops:
I find 2ch integrateds to be far too little in a box what with lack of many digital options and bass management particularly let alone hdmi to use with video. Just have to find the box that works for you....I have four multich av systems and only one 2ch system (using some of that old 2ch separates gear I have). What most seem to have an aversion to is buying 11 quality speakers and settling for less trying to equate a 2ch system with a multich system based mostly on budget....YMMV.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis