Two channel music question. Marantz Receiver vs Yamaha integrated?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I find modern AVRs to be way too much in a box. Let me sell you 11 speakers. Nauseating.:oops:
Hate to use car analogy, but I does remind me of the days when I was driving the likes of V8 Hemi equipped Durango, V8 Explorer, V8 Chev Suburban when I only needed a Honda Civic with manual shft lol... But the fact is, aside from the gas consumption, I preferred the big V8 SUVs, guilty as charged in terms of carbon foot print though, and won't do it again.

Analogy aside, as HD said, if the used AVRs saves money, it is the way to go because integrated amps are technically a silly thing, they are not separates, and the likes of A-S801 mentioned used parts and circuitry that make it no difference than mid-range AVRs in terms of sound quality on paper, they are (just the one mentioned, as all amps don't sound the same) all going to sound the same in direct mode with no DSP/RC involved) and use well below clipping. But then, AVRs, as mentioned, offer DSP functions, RC (especially those with XT32 SubEQ HT, Dirac Live) possibilities, those things will definitely make provable and audible differences that one may appreciate.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I find modern AVRs to be way too much in a box. Let me sell you 11 speakers. Nauseating.:oops:
What! Just 11! I have to have somewhere to store all the speakers I have built over the years.

That is actually five, as the right and left are two for one, as they are dual lines.

Another four, and there are four in the ceiling, So 13 in that room.

That is another four.

That is actually another four as there is another sub you can't see.

I have another four in the store room, that I don't have a use for at the moment.

Now I suspect you had better look for an antiemetic.

So that is 25, with 21 hooked up. You have some catching up to do m'lad.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Hate to use car analogy, but I does remind me of the days when I was driving the likes of V8 Hemi equipped Durango, V8 Explorer, V8 Chev Suburban when I only needed a Honda Civic with manual shft lol... But the fact is, aside from the gas consumption, I preferred the big V8 SUVs, guilty as charged in terms of carbon foot print though, and won't do it again.

Analogy aside, as HD said, if the used AVRs saves money, it is the way to go because integrated amps are technically a silly thing, they are not separates, and the likes of A-S801 mentioned used parts and circuitry that make it no difference than mid-range AVRs in terms of sound quality on paper, they are (just the one mentioned, as all amps don't sound the same) all going to sound the same in direct mode with no DSP/RC involved) and use well below clipping. But then, AVRs, as mentioned, offer DSP functions, RC (especially those with XT32 SubEQ HT, Dirac Live) possibilities, those things will definitely make provable and audible differences that one may appreciate.
I chose an integrated amp because I don't need an AVR. And the A-S801 is a solid performer. Well made, with nice components and clean layout. Just my opinion. Nothing wrong with integrated amplifiers.

Last edited:
croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
What! Just 11! I have to have somewhere to store all the speakers I have built over the years.

That is actually five, as the right and left are two for one, as they are dual lines.

Another four, and there are four in the ceiling, So 13 in that room.

That is another four.

That is actually another four as there is another sub you can't see.

I have another four in the store room, that I don't have a use for at the moment.

Now I suspect you had better look for an antiemetic.

So that is 25, with 21 hooked up. You have some catching up to do m'lad.
Nice vintage gear.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
It is a mix of both. Your objection to 11 speakers put me in mind of a certain skit involving a Pope and Michelangelo.
Something to do with painting the interior of Sistine Chappel I suspect.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I chose an integrated amp because I don't need an AVR. And the A-S801 is a solid performer. Well made, with nice components and clean layout. Just my opinion. Nothing wrong with integrated amplifiers.
It depends on your needs, the general 2ch integrated amp doesn't offer a lot. The 801 is basically a stripped down avr at a higher price, tho.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
It depends on your needs, the general 2ch integrated amp doesn't offer a lot. The 801 is basically a stripped down avr at a higher price, tho.
Wrong. Avr is hyped up power rating (based on 2 channels) with too many weak channels.:D:D

Tulonarinchu

Tulonarinchu

Audiophyte
Choosing between an integrated amp and a receiver really depends on your priorities. If you value two-channel listening quality above all and don't plan to expand into home theater, the Yamaha A-S801 or A-S1100 would likely provide a purer stereo experience with dedicated components for amplification. They're known for their sound quality.

On the other hand, if you want room correction for a more optimized audio experience and possibly plan to use the setup for home theater in the future, the Marantz SR7011 would be a great choice. Its room correction can help compensate for room acoustics.

Consider your long-term goals and how important room correction and future expandability are to you. Both options can provide good sound, but it's about which features matter most in your setup.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Too funny, MacPro started the thread over 9 months ago, never responded back and now we have a pissin match AVR vs Integrated :eek:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Too funny, MacPro started the thread over 9 months ago, never responded back and now we have a pissin match AVR vs Integrated :eek:
The problem is the industry's fault. If you want stereo two channel, then you should be able to buy a two channel AV amp, with a selection of inputs and bass management. That is actually what most of the market actually needs.

The issue I think is not whether an integrated amp sounds better then an AV receiver, it is which is the more reliable.

The fact is that the integrated amp will almost certainly outlast the AV receiver. I think the blow up rate of AV receivers is their problem. Part of that is excess facialites, and that means cheapening core facilities. For a start the first thing these units don't need is these autocorrection programs, so called "room" room correction. Whereas is fact they are actually an attempt to correct lousy speakers. I have three systems in three rooms. All have Audyssey. If Audyssey is engaged it results in a massive downgrade in SQ. They are in fact quality spoilers, and not helpful and raise cost. Most rooms are not a significant problem, but I know most speakers are.

Just look at members who still value receivers from the seventies. They are still working in large numbers. Quad gear fetches high prices, mainly die to their reputation for reliability and serviceability. Peter Walker always told me, is that what customers really don't want, is gear that gives trouble. He was right back then, and he is right now.
In my view the reliability of AVRs is unacceptable, being underpowered for all the amps stuffed in, makes me highly suspicious that their quality is actually suspect under real world conditions and not the bench.

People I know, actually want to get back to the quality of half a century ago, but also enjoying a picture with their audio. Now pretty much their only option for that is a ghastly sound bar!

The industry has been galloping down the wrong road.

What is need is simpler and more RELIABLE gear. Instead of spurious bells and whistles, what is required is good design and at least autograde components and may be aircraft grade at the higher end of the spectrum. Stuffing all these complex units with thousands of bottom grade components needs to end, and soon. The answer is simpler and more elegant design and fewer electronic components.

We need to be pushing for change here, if we don't this hobby will die, as most of the public will not tolerate what is on offer, and by and large they don't and shouldn't.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No, there is nothing wrong with integrated amp. It is there are specific applications. I was just sharing what I learnt by reading a number of service manuals, that some integrated amps share a few critical parts in the audio chain with midrange avrs, the A-S801 is one of those. The older A-S700 is not, it is more similar to the higher end models such as the A-S1100, 1200 and above models.

If that doesn't matter to you, then sure, the 801 is a good choice for you. For me, I would rather take the A-S700 because it is more like an integrated amp that I am used to, but that's a matter of opinion.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Many of the loaded modern AVRs focus on spreading the power amongst many speakers and can sometimes fall short on the power supply demand. If you want two channel listening, go with the Yamaha. I prefer the simplicity of a 2 channel rig.
My Yamaha RX-A3080 AVR outputs about 300 Watts x 2Ch into 4 ohms in Stereo Mode.

My old Denon AVR-5308 AVR outputs about 340 Watts x 2Ch into 4 ohms in Stereo Mode.

As you can see, when you set the AVR to Stereo/2Ch mode, they can output a lot of power.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My Yamaha RX-A3080 AVR outputs about 300 Watts x 2Ch into 4 ohms in Stereo Mode.

My old Denon AVR-5308 AVR outputs about 340 Watts x 2Ch into 4 ohms in Stereo Mode.

As you can see, when you set the AVR to Stereo/2Ch mode, they can output a lot of power.
People are simply making the point that because AVRs depreciate quickly (due to the ever changing features) and often listed at attractive price levels as they are massed produced, one can sometimes buy one and pretend they are a two channel integrated amps, but with build in DACs, tuners and video I/Os. Unfortunately it seems people who came and ask for suggestions might get offended by such suggestions for whatever reasons, and would start trying to defend their preference of 2 channel integrated, where there is absolutely no need to. Again, forum memebers suggest a viable alternative, in their opinions, often based on valid points, if the Ops don't like the idea, there is no need to get pissed off.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, but we have seen that movie before. There is no need to end up in such pissing match, when it a simple ask for suggestions, advice, and some members started offering alternatives, and then boom, op(s) got pissed, and members just trying to help felt not appreciated and might react in certain way that triggered such pissing match. So far, it is quite mild, no really pissing match level yet, imo, hope it won't get to that point.:) It is just a hobby, and people expressed their different opinions.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You are looking at it through a narrow lens. In an AVR if you use it as a two channel integrated, then you have a bunch of amps consuming power and being wasteful. Worse amps not being driven can and do fail. So you have added point of unreliability. It is also wasteful, as you are using a lot of components the consumer will never use. This all adds to electronic junk and waste.

Marketers and MBA types create this. They a close to primordial slime, on the evolutionary ladder.

Of course there is a market for a reliable two channel AV receiver, in the 250 to 300 watt per channel class. It needs simple set up and none of this auto Eq. nonsense. Those could be produced at really competitive prices and be a really good alternative to sound bars. With class D, they could be quite compact..

Most rooms are not even suitable for surround audio, let alone Atmos. We need to retro back to the seventies and add HDMI, DACS with streaming and video. That would make a lot of people very happy. No one makes the unit that is basically in high demand. However demand is not there, because due to the obtuse nature of group think, they can not understand that no product equals no demand.

I'm sorry, but the AV scene is way off the rails.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You are looking at it through a narrow lens. In an AVR if you use it as a two channel integrated, then you have a bunch of amps consuming power and being wasteful. Worse amps not being driven can and do fail. So you have added point of unreliability. It is also wasteful, as you are using a lot of components the consumer will never use. This all adds to electronic junk and waste.

Marketers and MBA types create this. They a close to primordial slime, on the evolutionary ladder.

Of course there is a market for a reliable two channel AV receiver, in the 250 to 300 watt per channel class. It needs simple set up and none of this auto Eq. nonsense. Those could be produced at really competitive prices and be a really good alternative to sound bars. With class D, they could be quite compact..

Most rooms are not even suitable for surround audio, let alone Atmos. We need to retro back to the seventies and add HDMI, DACS with streaming and video. That would make a lot of people very happy. No one makes the unit that is basically in high demand. However demand is not there, because due to the obtuse nature of group think, they can not understand that no product equals no demand.

I'm sorry, but the AV scene is way off the rails.

I am just making the EXTREMELY SIMPLE point that an AVR (like the Yamaha & Denon) can output 300 Watts x 2 CH.

It is a FACT. It has been MEASURED INDEPENDENTLY.

That’s my only point because the person I replied to said that AVR’s have less power than most integrated amps.

Now if you don’t like AVR, that’s fine. I am not going to beat a dead horse. Not trying to argue why someone should buy an AVR.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
People are simply making the point that because AVRs depreciate quickly (due to the ever changing features) and often listed at attractive price levels as they are massed produced, one can sometimes buy one and pretend they are a two channel integrated amps, but with build in DACs, tuners and video I/Os. Unfortunately it seems people who came and ask for suggestions might get offended by such suggestions for whatever reasons, and would start trying to defend their preference of 2 channel integrated, where there is absolutely no need to. Again, forum memebers suggest a viable alternative, in their opinions, often based on valid points, if the Ops don't like the idea, there is no need to get pissed off.
Yeah, I don’t even try to suggest anything anymore. The heart wants what it wants.

Some people always try to convince everyone to buy what they would buy. If they hate AVRs, they will try their best to convince everyone else that AVRs suck. If they think Integrated amps are best, they will try to convince everyone that it’s the best.

The only thing I think we should do is give people more information so they can decide on their own.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis