j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I average just under 10K mi/yr. I have 2 cars, so that is split between them.

1QUOTE="j_garcia, post: 1612198, member: 10856"]
Been seeing a lot of these around lately. This is what Rivian's original plan was; I did some work for them many years back as a consultant and saw that this was what they were working on.

pic blocked, see if vid works

[/QUOTE]

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I average just under 10K mi/yr. I have 2 cars, so that is split between them.

1QUOTE="j_garcia, post: 1612198, member: 10856"]
Been seeing a lot of these around lately. This is what Rivian's original plan was; I did some work for them many years back as a consultant and saw that this was what they were working on.

pic blocked, see if vid works

[/QUOTE]

One of the drivers, noted they have a range of up to 150 miles on a charge, if the driver keeps his foot off the pedal. But the IA devices installed in 2021 on their vans wil prevent that with tracking cameras. " The cameras record “100% of the time,” with four lenses capturing the road, driver, and sides of the vehicle to flag 16 different safety violations including speeding, failing to stop at a stop sign, hard-breaking, or distracted driving. " Big brother is watching.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, those Amazon guys at the very least bend the parking laws all day long lol. I think it is probably understandable that these guys will have minor infractions due to how much they are on the road. Not sure if they need to have a class A license or not, but with a class A you can't have any violations.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Tesla Supercharger station is open at Harris Ranch in Coalinga. 98 chargers. The grid for it is supplemented by a Diesel generator for peak demand times lol. The new Dieselgate? :D Musk claimed chargers would be 100% powered by renewable energy, but the grid there no doubt cannot handle a theoretical 98 vehicles simultaneously charging.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Tesla Supercharger station is open at Harris Ranch in Coalinga. 98 chargers. The grid for it is supplemented by a Diesel generator for peak demand times lol. The new Dieselgate? :D Musk claimed chargers would be 100% powered by renewable energy, but the grid there no doubt cannot handle a theoretical 98 vehicles simultaneously charging.
What, no Solar Roof and MegaPack?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
98 chargers in one place is still quite a lot. I don't think I've seen more than 12.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
98 chargers in one place is still quite a lot. I don't think I've seen more than 12.
This location previously had 36 already at the hotel/restaurant. They moved those 36 over to the new spot a block away and added the others. Likely this was because even at 36, they were almost all full because it is a great place to stop (great food) and one of the main places to charge previously. It is the largest site like this so far and is in the middle of nowhere about half way between LA and San Francisco. There is no town there really, town is a few miles away, it is more or less a cattle ranch (yep, it smells as you drive past), restaurant and gas. Tesla put in the chargers so people could get to LA and back and it became a popular spot so they bought a big empty lot next to the gas station to put this in.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Imagine 98 vehicles charging at, what 50kWh or a lot more, we are seeing 1mW draw. :eek:

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Imagine 98 vehicles charging at, what 50kWh or a lot more, we are seeing 1mW draw. :eek:
A mW is a mili Watt (1 Watt ÷ 1000). Did you mean MW, a Mega Watt (1 Watt × 1 million)?

Or … did you mean a MAGA Watt :eek:?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A mW is a mili Watt (1 Watt ÷ 1000). Did you mean MW, a Mega Watt (1 Watt × 1 million)?

Maga watts can only be measured in units of Trump. How many magawatts in a Trump? We are currently -1 Trump :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

Well, I should have spelled it out.
Mega is not a person's name like Mr. Watt, and kW is a 1000Watts. I am all screwed up for thinking too much into it. :D
Now there is an option magaWatts.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I saw that. This isn't a problem in California in most big cities. Outside of the area, it is improving, but I can still see it being a problem, depending on where you go. The more rural you go, the bigger that problem will likely be.

In Ca. it IS illegal for an ICE car to park in a charging spot. Technically it says even an EV can't park there if it isn't charging.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I also saw that article. It was typically superficial of the media/press. They got the basic facts mostly correct, but made incorrect conclusions about on-the-road EV recharging.

It is doable now, but you do have to plan ahead, especially if you drive a non-Tesla. It isn't as simple as finding a gas station. And yes, there are destinations where it isn't easy to recharge an EV. For example, in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, there is one Tesla Supercharging station. It does not accept non-Teslas. Most people who go there rent beach houses. If I wanted to go there, I'd have to find a beach house that already has a 240V home-type charger installed. Some do exist now, but you have to ask for them.

As that article shows, there is a learning curve. Instead of searching along your route for "EV recharging", search for "Electrify America recharging" or "Fast DC recharging". I've commented on this earlier in this thread.

All this will change significantly in the next year, as Tesla gradually modifies their Supercharging stations to work for EVs with non-Tesla charging ports.

If you are too impatient for that, you will continue to pay more & more for gasoline. Since I bought my EV, gasoline prices where I live have stayed between a little under $4 to as high as $5 per gallon. I don't expect those prices to drop.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
As we expected here, the jump to nearly $7 here meant it would never drop below $5 again. Sure enough, 87 is just at or below $5 and premium has never gone below $5 since. For me, I have 2 cars that take premium, so I would expect an EV to still cost me less no matter what.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
As we expected here, the jump to nearly $7 here meant it would never drop below $5 again. Sure enough, 87 is just at or below $5 and premium has never gone below $5 since. For me, I have 2 cars that take premium, so I would expect an EV to still cost me less no matter what.
Our least expensive local gas just hit 5.33 up here. It had stabilized at around 4.95 for quite awhile before bumping up; surprisingly little to no fluctuation any more.
Once over 5, it went from a bit at 5.05 where it had stayed for almost 6 was to 5.19 where it again stabilized for at least a month.

I agree we are likely to ever see gas fall below 4.95 out here again, and if the trend continues it will be much higher still.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Man, people around here are losing their minds because premium is almost $4.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Man, people around here are losing their minds because premium is almost $4.
Years ago, I remember some economist said that there's a price for gasoline (or anything else) that people would complain about, but still pay. And there's a higher price that would cause people to start changing what they drive. Evidently, premium gas at $4 a gallon isn't yet high enough where you live.

I hit my gas price threshold during the summer of 2022. I don't remember what that price was anymore, just that it seemed too high. And, that it didn't seem like it would go back down. That's a good part of what pushed me into buying an EV.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Scary thought, will the higher petrol prices further the 'Trump cause' ? :eek:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Years ago, I remember some economist said that there's a price for gasoline (or anything else) that people would complain about, but still pay. And there's a higher price that would cause people to start changing what they drive. Evidently, premium gas at $4 a gallon isn't yet high enough where you live.

I hit my gas price threshold during the summer of 2022. I don't remember what that price was anymore, just that it seemed too high. And, that it didn't seem like it would go back down. That's a good part of what pushed me into buying an EV.
It's definitely not enough for folks to change. I always find it funny that people with huge trucks or cars with guzzling V8s will complain about fuel prices. I don't think they bought their vehicles with fuel mileage in mind.

I'm lucky in that I work from home, so does my wife, so fuel prices don't really matter as much to me. I'd be singing a different tune if I had to commute again, which I plan to never do again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis