Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
My understanding of Canadian reactors is that 3 mi Island, Fukushima and Chernobyl could not have occurred with our technology. Candu reactors do not go into melt down by design. Bruce Nuclear is pouring billions into refurbishing the Ontario reactors and I believe they have plans to expand. Big issue of course is disposal of waste. No takers yet for proposed underground storage sites.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My understanding of Canadian reactors is that 3 mi Island, Fukushima and Chernobyl could not have occurred with our technology. Candu reactors do not go into melt down by design. Bruce Nuclear is pouring billions into refurbishing the Ontario reactors and I believe they have plans to expand. Big issue of course is disposal of waste. No takers yet for proposed underground storage sites.
If this has been answered, my bad, but isn't the main reason nuclear energy plants are a pain to build and maintain is because all the parts, or at least the design, of a reactor are custom for that specific reactor? Or is that how they used to do it?

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
disposal of waste
Yep and that has always been the million dollar question on how to safety dispose of waste. The storing and reprocessing of this waste is further complicated by the long half life of the radioactive materials in the nuclear waste. For example, some of the components can retain half of their dangerous levels even one million years later after production.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
After Three Mile Island & Chernobyl I can remember discussions over why these large civilian reactors had trouble while nuclear reactors in naval vessels (at least those in non-USSR naval vessels) were much more reliable. The consensus was that scaling up the reactor size for civilian use invited cost-cutting efforts that went too far.

In these discussions, it is important to remember that Three Mile Island didn't fail outright. It partially melted down, but overlapping safety mechanisms did succeed in preventing a disastrous melt down & breach. In contrast, the Chernobyl reactor did actually melt down, releasing large amounts of radioactivity. Fukushima, use of open-tank water-cooled reactors built close to an ocean seashore, was a very bad idea from the start. It can be blamed entirely on excessive cost cutting.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If this has been answered, my bad, but isn't the main reason nuclear energy plants are a pain to build and maintain is because all the parts, or at least the design, of a reactor are custom for that specific reactor? Or is that how they used to do it?
I would think not the specific reactor but the specific design. Huge amounts of money involved though. The refurbishing of the reactors is 2 or 3 billion, let alone the cost of a new one. It's been a while since I read the specifics.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Been seeing a lot of these around lately. This is what Rivian's original plan was; I did some work for them many years back as a consultant and saw that this was what they were working on.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I did not want to lease (I have never leased a car, I always buy), but I believe that is what I will do for now. Since all the cars I am considering don't qualify for the tax credit, they do give the equivalent discount, basically just subtract it from your cost on the lease. Plus, Hyundai allows you to just buy out the lease after 4 months of payments and the Ioniq 5 and 6 are among the cheapest leases available.

I am hoping Polestar losing more money this year will turn into price decreases, because I am more interested in that car

My car isn't selling so far though, not the right time of year.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well here's another way to hasten the transition to EV ........

The speed with which we'd have to build infrastructure to support this would not be something I'd want to rely on for electricity.

In TX, our grid is holding on by a thread. This would ensure it's demise.

EV is the future, but we aren't nearly ready for them to be the only thing on the road.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Before long, they freaking know it all goverment , will penalize non EV owners and force people to go bankrupt on EV cars. I can see it now, a person with an older gas car, paid off, low insurance rates NO CAR PAYMENTS. The Govt steps in and forces insurance rates up, and some type of NON EV penalty $$$$. Gas prices sky rocket to over let s say $6.00 a gal or MORE ! . So the person gets them a new EV, has car payments again, a higher insurance, since the car is a EV and its NEW ( An electric car's higher price tag and more complex equipment means it may cost more to repair or replace if it's in an accident. That can mean higher rates for policyholders who carry comprehensive and collision coverage. ). The person is in the financial hole again. Pretty sad, but that's the way I see things going in the years to come. And what if this normal American family has a wife that drives and a couple of kids going to highschool or college , financial destruction for some. Of course all of this is hypothetical ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Gas prices were already almost $7 here.

As the big companies ramp up EV production and phase out ICE car production, the costs associated with EVs will go down. EVs are already approaching the cost of ICE cars now. The price wars due to the slowing China market is actually driving the end user cost of EVs down majorly, even with some of these companies making $0 on them. Tesla was losing money on every car sold early on in order to gain adoption. I just got a txt from Polestar, who was offering no incentives, that they are now offering $8500 off.

Unfortunately, the price war is also hitting the used car market as well, selling my car has become an issue and I may actually only get what I paid for it, which would be a loss after all the things I have replaced on it.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Before long, they freaking know it all goverment , will penalize non EV owners and force people to go bankrupt on EV cars. I can see it now, a person with an older gas car, paid off, low insurance rates NO CAR PAYMENTS. The Govt steps in and forces insurance rates up, and some type of NON EV penalty $$$$. Gas prices sky rocket to over let s say $6.00 a gal or MORE ! . So the person gets them a new EV, has car payments again, a higher insurance, since the car is a EV and its NEW ( An electric car's higher price tag and more complex equipment means it may cost more to repair or replace if it's in an accident. That can mean higher rates for policyholders who carry comprehensive and collision coverage. ). The person is in the financial hole again. Pretty sad, but that's the way I see things going in the years to come. And what if this normal American family has a wife that drives and a couple of kids going to highschool or college , financial destruction for some. Of course all of this is hypothetical ;)
Chris, you, like me are looking at this as a couple of senior citizens. A segment of the population that is generally cared less about when it comes to 'consumer marketing'. When I was working I avg 36,000 miles a year on my company vehicle, now on my personal daily driver, less than 10,000

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Chris, you, like me are looking at this as a couple of senior citizens. A segment of the population that is generally cared less about when it comes to 'consumer marketing'. When I was working I avg 36,000 miles a year on my company vehicle, now on my personal daily driver, less than 10,000
I'm avg around 10,167 by my calculations and I do like not having a payment to fool with.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis