Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The Ford F-150 Lightning is now going on sales in Norway, as the first country outside of the US, offering this car.
Man, this car is so huge it makes any practical car look like a mini hatchback... I got a BMW 730d series and even this, as the largest car BMW offers is like a mini compared to the F-150.

But I am really thinking, the F-150 can take everything, transport everything, the most practical car ever..... it´s probably a nightmare to park in the undersized parking lots of Norway and I have no idea if it will actually fit into the parking space where I Live.....

The interior is so huge ..... like a mansion, WOW :cool:

Ford F-150s and most Ford vehicles have been selling in Canada and in several South American countries for a long time. ;)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
it's towing range is a joke though, in testing, pulling a 5000# trl it's range diminished to 85 miles !
I reckon this would be similar for any electric vehicle .... high-power usage will drain the batteries, no matter what

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I reckon this would be similar for any electric vehicle .... high-power usage will drain the batteries, no matter what
A older article but interesting on the f150 lightning towing. OH it will pull the load, that's not a problem, its the mileage you get pulling that load. But the same with a gas truck, it will pull it, but the mileage will suffer. https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/ford-f150-lightning-electric-truck-towing-test/#:~:text=Now that you understand where,t even cover 100 miles.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Drove a 2024 Polestar dual motor on Sat. Compared to the Ioniq 5, it was a more pleasant experience to drive. It felt more like a "normal" car, but still goes quick once you hit the pedal. I warned her that it might feel quick off the line due to the torque, but they've given it a mild ramp, making it easier to drive for someone coming from a gas car. So she had zero issues driving it; she actually really liked it. No incentives and no free charging, but overall I definitely preferred this car.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Drove a 2024 Polestar dual motor on Sat. Compared to the Ioniq 5, it was a more pleasant experience to drive. It felt more like a "normal" car, but still goes quick once you hit the pedal. I warned her that it might feel quick off the line due to the torque, but they've given it a mild ramp, making it easier to drive for someone coming from a gas car. So she had zero issues driving it; she actually really liked it. No incentives and no free charging, but overall I definitely preferred this car.
Amazing what the Zhejiang Geely Holding Group owns.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Amazing what the Zhejiang Geely Holding Group owns.
With them adding Lotus, they are really filling out their portfolio with actual manufacturers vs. just new EV companies. The majority of those holdings appear to be centered around EVs though. I didn't know they had bought Smart from Mercedes.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
it's towing range is a joke though, in testing, pulling a 5000# trl it's range diminished to 85 miles !
Maybe someone can use it for hauling their golf cart around the retirement community. Can’t see anyone buying this thing as a work truck. How about winter? Would it tow that 5k# load 40 miles?

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
With them adding Lotus, they are really filling out their portfolio with actual manufacturers vs. just new EV companies. The majority of those holdings appear to be centered around EVs though. I didn't know they had bought Smart from Mercedes.
Amazing what money can achieve along with a partnership / joint venture between Mercedes and Geely.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
A older article but interesting on the f150 lightning towing. OH it will pull the load, that's not a problem, its the mileage you get pulling that load. But the same with a gas truck, it will pull it, but the mileage will suffer.
For sure, but it will do a lot better than 80 miles or so ! Regardless, for those that tow serious weight and often, diesel is the way to go ;)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
For sure, but it will do a lot better than 80 miles or so ! Regardless, for those that tow serious weight and often, diesel is the way to go ;)
Diesel the only way. A Cummings 12 valve will do it all and last pretty much forever with proper maintenance. Its even found its way into PROMODS Drag Racing making upwards to upwards of 2,500 horsepower, more than 3,000 lb.-ft. of torque. Of course not very environmental friendly but so cool, and simple. Not sure about the 24 valve.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Which model Polestar did you drive? I can't remember which one interested you.

Your first impression was similar to my first impression of the Volvo C40. I test drove it about a week after I tested the Tesla Model Y. Both seemed OK, no immediately obvious faults, but the Volvo felt more like a "normal" car to both me & my wife. I expected that Polestar would be similar, and your impression confirms that. Since then, I continue to enjoy my new Volvo EV, without any regrets.

By any chance, did you notice the charge port on the Polestar you drove? I'd expect it will still be the standard J1772/CCS port. Volvo is planning to switch over it's North American exports to the Tesla NACS port for it's 2025 models.

I'm watching the slow progress Tesla is making converting it's Supercharging stations to handle EVs with J1772/CCS ports like mine. So far, it seems that conversions are being done in the New York city area, and in & around California cities. Other places, maybe next year? Once that conversion is done, it will be a large improvement for road-trip charging.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Diesel the only way. A Cummings 12 valve will do it all and last pretty much forever with proper maintenance. Its even found its way into PROMODS Drag Racing making upwards to upwards of 2,500 horsepower, more than 3,000 lb.-ft. of torque. Of course not very environmental friendly but so cool, and simple. Not sure about the 24 valve.
Yup. Dad has a boat and a 2500HD. It tows that boat like it wasn't there.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My brother in law has an F-150 with the ecoboost motor and it sucks fuel like no tomorrow. The way he drives, he can go about 275 miles on a single tank. His tank is tiny in that thing, so I can only imagine what he'd get towing 5k.

I, on the other hand, can go about 500 miles on a tank on the highway and I can to a hell of a lot more than 5k. Doesn't hurt that I've got a 35 gal tank.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've got a CR 24 valve and it's been solid since I bought it. Over 220k miles on the OD. I'm not making near that power, but I'm over 500 at the wheels.

Diesels are fun, but VERY expensive to maintain. Especially if you need to do anything to the motor or transmission.

Not having a car payment is very nice though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Which model Polestar did you drive? I can't remember which one interested you.

Your first impression was similar to my first impression of the Volvo C40. I test drove it about a week after I tested the Tesla Model Y. Both seemed OK, no immediately obvious faults, but the Volvo felt more like a "normal" car to both me & my wife. I expected that Polestar would be similar, and your impression confirms that. Since then, I continue to enjoy my new Volvo EV, without any regrets.

By any chance, did you notice the charge port on the Polestar you drove? I'd expect it will still be the standard J1772/CCS port. Volvo is planning to switch over it's North American exports to the Tesla NACS port for it's 2025 models.

I'm watching the slow progress Tesla is making converting it's Supercharging stations to handle EVs with J1772/CCS ports like mine. So far, it seems that conversions are being done in the New York city area, and in & around California cities. Other places, maybe next year? Once that conversion is done, it will be a large improvement for road-trip charging.
This was the 2, more or less the only model they are selling right now. The 1 was a limited run. The 3 was supposed to be out in the fall, but is apparently delayed until early next year. The 2024 2 is $1500 more than the 2023 model, but also includes a large number of improvements. A new chemistry battery, there is no "standard" range model anymore, they all get the larger battery, and some things that were options before are now included in all models.

I asked about NACS, looks like 2025 for them before they are able to switch. Not a huge deal since we have a good split between NACS and CCS chargers around here currently and it seems most companies will just include both. I also asked about Solid State batteries and they did not have an ETA for it, but seems like they will be switching, like most companies. Based on that, I am pondering leasing (they still offer the option to buy out unlike some other EV mfg.) because in 2-3 years things will change. They will release an adapter to use NACS early next year.

There is no $7500 tax credit for buying, but the same $7500 credit for leasing that all EVs that don't qualify for the tax credit are eligible for. Instead of getting the tax credit you get an instant discount.

*edit
On the 2, the Heat Pump is not included by default, you have to get one of the packages to get it. So basically any of the packages gets you the heat pump.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
This was the 2, more or less the only model they are selling right now. The 1 was a limited run. The 3 was supposed to be out in the fall, but is apparently delayed until early next year. The 2024 2 is $1500 more than the 2023 model, but also includes a large number of improvements. A new chemistry battery, there is no "standard" range model anymore, they all get the larger battery, and some things that were options before are now included in all models.

I asked about NACS, looks like 2025 for them before they are able to switch. Not a huge deal since we have a good split between NACS and CCS chargers around here currently and it seems most companies will just include both. I also asked about Solid State batteries and they did not have an ETA for it, but seems like they will be switching, like most companies. Based on that, I am pondering leasing (they still offer the option to buy out unlike some other EV mfg.) because in 2-3 years things will change. They will release an adapter to use NACS early next year.

There is no $7500 tax credit for buying, but the same $7500 credit for leasing that all EVs that don't qualify for the tax credit are eligible for. Instead of getting the tax credit you get an instant discount.
Thanks for the info. I see you're busy thinking about all the details & contingencies, as you should be. To me, last November already seems like it's fading in the distance, and I'm glad. Yes, EV battery technology seems about to be changing fast. But so are the prices … and they're only going up. Good luck with all that.

Today in the mid-Atlantic area, the weather forecasters are going bananas about the severe thunder storm/ high winds / tornado watch for later this afternoon. I was just outside securing deck table & chairs, bringing in bird feeders & wind chimes, and I remembered to charge up my phone. And then I realized I should plug my car in too, in case of power failure. The battery is now at 46%, and it should be fully charged up by about 6:30. The storm is forecast about 6 pm. I'll be glad with ~80%. If power does go out, I won't have to face lines of cars waiting at a gas station.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I guess you would be able to charge it on a generator too, technically.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I guess you would be able to charge it on a generator too, technically.
Generally speaking, any generator that can produce at least 110 for 120V at 15A or 30A can charge a Tesla.

Ideally, a generator with a 240V output is a much better fit, but beggars can't be choosers when ya need it now. :D

We have a friend a few blocks away with a 2022 Tesla, and he bought a Honda 6500 portable just in case and of course to use when the area loses commercial power during hurricane times.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
@ 110, it will take a long time and use up that fuel though, but better than no gas. @ 240, less of a problem. There was an article the other day about a lady who used an outlet at an abandoned gas station to charge her Tesla lol.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis