cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
You remember these famous fire catching cars, Pontiac Fiero's " Fieros were catching fire at the rate of one for every 508 cars sold, surpassing all other mass-market automobile cars. " Pontiac engineers knew about the problems early on: one wrote an urgent memo dated October 6, 1983, to report that two Fieros had suddenly caught fire during test drives. This was only 3 months after the production of the Fiero began.
:oops:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You remember these famous fire catching cars, Pontiac Fiero's " Fieros were catching fire at the rate of one for every 508 cars sold, surpassing all other mass-market automobile cars. " Pontiac engineers knew about the problems early on: one wrote an urgent memo dated October 6, 1983, to report that two Fieros had suddenly caught fire during test drives. This was only 3 months after the production of the Fiero began.
My neighbor had one. He had it for a few years before it caught fire as I recall. Nobody was hurt.

Early 300Z turbos were known for this also because of faulty fuel injectors. I actually had an engineering manager who it happened to on his way to work.

Common gas fires are easier to put out than lithium battery fires.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
How about the Ford Pintos that would catch fire when hit from the back.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ummm... this seems not just completely off-topic, but a suspicious looking link...?
Bot? Phishing?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I like that when we charge Li batteries for our RC cars they have to go into fire proof bags. Even those little guys are dangerous.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Don't forget the brand, the make escapes me, that was used by police and the same happened. ;)
How about the recent Lincoln SUVs, Navigators and Expedition SUVs. In 1998, the Lincoln Town Cars also caught fire. Ford is really a dangerous brand.

Now we have the lithium batteries in cars which are not more secure nor reliable.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
How about the recent Lincoln SUVs, Navigators and Expedition SUVs. In 1998, the Lincoln Town Cars also caught fire. Ford is really a dangerous brand.

Now we have the lithium batteries in cars which are not more secure nor reliable.
Of course there have been gas ( cars and truck fires) fires long before Li. and EV's. Interesting info:

What percentage of car fires are electric vs gas cars?
Overall, EVs are about 0.3 percent likely to ignite, versus a 1.05 percent likelihood for gas cars, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics and the National Transportation Safety Board compiled by Auto Insurance EZ last year.Feb 2, 2023

Another source of info from an insurance group and gov recall data

Screenshot 2023-08-01 091226.jpg

So I guess , all gas or EV can catch fire so much for the media hype.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

Guess I won't be buying a Hyundai this year, so need to look at Polestar/Volvo
Heck as with anything new, customers are filing lawsuits. Back in May "
WASHINGTON May 12 (Reuters) - A group of U.S. Tesla Model S and Model X owners filed a proposed class-action lawsuit against the electric vehicle maker in California Friday over automatic software updates that reportedly decreased driving range or cause battery failures.

The lawsuit claims Tesla’s updates and their effects violate state and federal laws because they can cut driving range by up to 20% and can require some owners to replace batteries at a cost of $15,000."

Last Feb 2022 : Three owners of the 2021-22 Mustang Mach-E have filed a federal lawsuit against Ford Motor Co., claiming the Dearborn automaker has known of a design flaw in its popular electric vehicles that causes them to lose power while driving down the road — and has not figured out how to fix the problem.

PS: I do like the Genesis though. The gas version.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Heck as with anything new, customers are filing lawsuits. Back in May "
WASHINGTON May 12 (Reuters) - A group of U.S. Tesla Model S and Model X owners filed a proposed class-action lawsuit against the electric vehicle maker in California Friday over automatic software updates that reportedly decreased driving range or cause battery failures.

The lawsuit claims Tesla’s updates and their effects violate state and federal laws because they can cut driving range by up to 20% and can require some owners to replace batteries at a cost of $15,000."

Last Feb 2022 : Three owners of the 2021-22 Mustang Mach-E have filed a federal lawsuit against Ford Motor Co., claiming the Dearborn automaker has known of a design flaw in its popular electric vehicles that causes them to lose power while driving down the road — and has not figured out how to fix the problem.

PS: I do like the Genesis though. The gas version.
Ford EVs not on my list.

Tesla not high on my list, despite (or maybe because lol) I know a number of people who work there. They cut the range to prevent failures, but the fact that you have no choice about it kind of blows. I have a lot of friends who have Teslas and none of them really complain about them.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
About time, Tesla gets sued over overstated range numbers. https://www.carscoops.com/2023/08/tesla-sued-over-grossly-overstated-range-claims/

And talk about interesting:
As sales exploded, service requests also grew. To thwart the influx of requests and help keep costs in check, Tesla created a special “diversion team” dedicated to handle so-called “range cases” — meaning owners complaining of lower ranges than expected, according to the Reuters report. Diversion team members were trained to tell owners that the EPA-approved range estimates were just a prediction. They would also provide tips to customers on how to extend range. The team’s goal was to cancel as many of those appointments as possible, saving Tesla as much as $1,000 a visit,

T

trochetier

Audioholic
On the bright side there will be fewer manic depression cases with all this Li floating around from the fires!;)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
The Ford F-150 Lightning is now going on sales in Norway, as the first country outside of the US, offering this car.
Man, this car is so huge it makes any practical car look like a mini hatchback... I got a BMW 730d series and even this, as the largest car BMW offers is like a mini compared to the F-150.

But I am really thinking, the F-150 can take everything, transport everything, the most practical car ever..... it´s probably a nightmare to park in the undersized parking lots of Norway and I have no idea if it will actually fit into the parking space where I Live.....

The interior is so huge ..... like a mansion, WOW :cool:

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
The Ford F-150 Lightning is now going on sales in Norway, as the first country outside of the US, offering this car.
Man, this car is so huge it makes any practical car look like a mini hatchback... I got a BMW 730d series and even this, as the largest car BMW offers is like a mini compared to the F-150.

But I am really thinking, the F-150 can take everything, transport everything, the most practical car ever..... it´s probably a nightmare to park in the undersized parking lots of Norway and I have no idea if it will actually fit into the parking space where I Live.....

The interior is so huge ..... like a mansion, WOW :cool:

it's towing range is a joke though, in testing, pulling a 5000# trl it's range diminished to 85 miles !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis