Marantz AV 10 15.4CH AV Processor Bench Test Results!

C

Chris16

Audiophyte
Hello, when will the measurements of the Marantz amp 10 be published?
I'm waiting for your bench tests before deciding whether to buy it or not
Thank you

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
My test report is online but not published yet as I'm waiting on confirmation from Marantz Engineering about something. Their result of 200wpc with 1 or 7CH driven is accurate and I discuss it in my report in great detail.

C

Chris16

Audiophyte
My test report is online but not published yet as I'm waiting on confirmation from Marantz Engineering about something. Their result of 200wpc with 1 or 7CH driven is accurate and I discuss it in my report in great detail.
In fact I look forward to reading your article because for me you are an absolute reference.
Have you tested it with up to 7 channels simultaneously or even with multiple channels?
Thank you

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Marantz Amp 10 (MSRP: $7,000) is a 200 watt x 16CH amplifier that utilizes the latest ICE Edge Class D topology with a custom built SMPS regulated power supply. I put the Amp 10 through our exhaustive bench tests to see how it performs in both power capability and quality of amplification. I was pleasantly surprised with the low noise and distortion and how it was able to manage to hit rated power in my power sweep testing with up to 7 channels driven. We discuss usage cases for bridging the Amp 10 if you don't need all 16 channels in your Immersive Audio speaker set up. Could this be the best value in a single box high channel count amplifier?

Amp10-rack.jpg

Read: Marantz 10 16CH Amplifier Test Report

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Here is a soft release of my exhaustive bench test results of the new Marantz Amp 10 200 watt x 16 Amplifier:
Thank you very much, that's a lot of work to test/measure a 16 channel amp so thoroughly!

C

Chris16

Audiophyte
Ecco un breve rilascio dei risultati dei miei esaustivi test al banco del nuovo amplificatore Marantz Amp 10 200 watt x 16:
[/CITAZIONE]
Mille grazie

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Here is my Youtube Discussion video of the Marantz Amp 10 Bench Test Results:

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
Here is my Youtube Discussion video of the Marantz Amp 10 Bench Test Results:
Gene, did you happen to test 7 channels, all bridged @8ohms? Curious what the power sweep looks like? Pretty much the same as 2 channels?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, did you happen to test 7 channels, all bridged @8ohms? Curious what the power sweep looks like? Pretty much the same as 2 channels?
No I didn't and I suspect it wouldn't maintain the 400 watts x 7 based in it would require 25A from the outlet to do so.

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
No I didn't and I suspect it wouldn't maintain the 400 watts x 7 based in it would require 25A from the outlet to do so.
Thanks. I only have two 20a outlets and each AMP10 is connected to them. Still going to try running all channels bridged since I have the two to play with. In my very unscientific testing, I'm able to hit 85dB with the volume at 72-ish in my room and MLP unbridged and 90dB with the volume at 68 in my MLP with them all bridged.

Anyway...thanks again for all the testing!!!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks. I only have two 20a outlets and each AMP10 is connected to them. Still going to try running all channels bridged since I have the two to play with. In my very unscientific testing, I'm able to hit 85dB with the volume at 72-ish in my room and MLP unbridged and 90dB with the volume at 68 in my MLP with them all bridged.

Anyway...thanks again for all the testing!!!
Fyi, volume 72 means your amp outputs well below the amp's rated 200 W 8 ohms, probably around 40 W. Not a good way to guessimate ACD output bridged.

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
Fyi, volume 72 means your amp outputs well below the amp's rated 200 W 8 ohms, probably around 40 W. Not a good way to guessimate ACD output bridged.
Well I did say "unscientific"... :)

Thanks Peng. Always good having you EE types up here to learn from!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I did say "unscientific"... :)

Thanks Peng. Always good having you EE types up here to learn from!
Depending on what you are trying to find out in such a test, it could be a scientific way. That's because you do know that for every +/- 3 dB on the volume, the output will double/haved, regardless of the number of channels used, and the spl will in fact increases or decreases accordingly.

T

tonyE

Junior Audioholic
Hmm... HOW does it sound?

I have a pair of Acoustic Reality amps ( ICE ), some Teac Reference Units ( ICE I believe ), some Nuforce Class D amps ( I think they rolled their own filters ) and a NCore unit ( an eval board that I need to finish ).

The NCore sounds the best, the Nuforce amps are second best but the ICE amps, no matter how powerful, sound closed in the top. All the amps have excellent damping factors so their bass control is superb but the ICE amps leave me cold from the upper midrange on up. This might no be an issue in a home theater but for music they are a non starter.

Next I want to try the Purifi boards.

But, when it comes to ICE, this is a case where the measurements do not really tell the whole story.

BTW, my go-to amps are FET Class A, tubes and a SIT amp ( not the Sony VFET ). All of those units sound fantastic from the bass (not the deep bass) to the stratosphere.

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
Depending on what you are trying to find out in such a test, it could be a scientific way. That's because you do know that for every +/- 3 dB on the volume, the output will double/haved, regardless of the number of channels used, and the spl will in fact increases or decreases accordingly.
I just want that "knee" as far right as possible. But it seems I have plenty of power for my room to not have to worry about it.

T

tonyE

Junior Audioholic
Don't confuse engineering with science.

So many people conflate them when in reality they are fundamentally different. Just because we use math to some degree, their worldviews ( see Thomas Kuhn ) are very different.

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
Don't confuse engineering with science.

So many people conflate them when in reality they are fundamentally different. Just because we use math to some degree, their worldviews ( see Thomas Kuhn ) are very different.
Ummm...I used the word scientific (or specifically, "unscientific") in jest and didn't mean to conflate anything or insult anybody. That said, my undergrad degree is in Computer Science and the only difference I feel between my many electrical engineering friends and I is that they were smart enought to matriculate all of that math I had to take into a EE degree. (read: I wish I had picked up my EE....albeit, CS hasn't been terrible to me). :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis