GSG Audio Design AIY / DIY subwoofer Q&A Thread!

JasonGSG

JasonGSG

Audioholic
Evo Sealed Slim 21", 26.6” wide, 17.0” deep, 34.3” tall & >112dB @
20 Hz & >125dB @ 70Hz
Evo D21 (2).jpg
Evo D21slim.jpg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Evo Sealed Slim 21", 26.6” wide, 17.0” deep, 34.3” tall & >112dB @
20 Hz & >125dB @ 70Hz
View attachment 59624View attachment 59621
The problem is that the driver is 14 db. down at 20 Hz I have been on the LaVoce site and modelled that driver. I modelled the 8 ohm version. I understand that the 4 ohm is available to special order, but they don't quote Re and Le. Anyhow the essential performance parameters will not change. The driver has an Fs of 32 Hz, and they correctly quote an Fs of 30 Hz with a very extended bass alignment, in a box larger than one would usually quote at 10.56 cu.ft. I did a number of models and that volume does provide the best curve as the driver is inclined to peak above roll off, and very extended alignment ameliorates this. Because of this peak, even with this extended volume the F3 calculates to 42 Hz. However if you look at the graphs the 3db point below 100 Hz is 30 Hz. Therefore it is reasonable to quote an F3 of 30 Hz.
If you look at the cone excursion graph, then the driver runs out of X-max at 25 Hz well before full power is reached. Therefore the design requires a high pass filter at 25 Hz. Therefore it is not reasonable to spec. a 20 Hz frequency extension. LaVoce specify that the speaker be in a cabinet be tuned to 30 Hz. You can see that the minimal impedance between the peaks, is exactly 30Hz, which is the tuning frequency of the model. So they are correct about that.

Now LaVoce correctly describe this unit as a pro sub driver. So this driver is for use in Cinema and large auditorium applications. It is NOT a domestic driver.

LaVoce are an Italian loudspeaker driver manufacturer, and seem to specialize in pro drivers. I have been, and am, very impressed with their site. Members here many know that Sigberg Audio are sourcing drivers from LaVoce.

Attachments

JasonGSG

JasonGSG

Audioholic
The problem is that the driver is 14 db. down at 20 Hz I have been on the LaVoce site and modelled that driver. I modelled the 8 ohm version. I understand that the 4 ohm is available to special order, but they don't quote Re and Le. Anyhow the essential performance parameters will not change. The driver has an Fs of 32 Hz, and they correctly quote an Fs of 30 Hz with a very extended bass alignment, in a box larger than one would usually quote at 10.56 cu.ft. I did a number of models and that volume does provide the best curve as the driver is inclined to peak above roll off, and very extended alignment ameliorates this. Because of this peak, even with this extended volume the F3 calculates to 42 Hz. However if you look at the graphs the 3db point below 100 Hz is 30 Hz. Therefore it is reasonable to quote an F3 of 30 Hz.
If you look at the cone excursion graph, then the driver runs out of X-max at 25 Hz well before full power is reached. Therefore the design requires a high pass filter at 25 Hz. Therefore it is not reasonable to spec. a 20 Hz frequency extension. LaVoce specify that the speaker be in a cabinet be tuned to 30 Hz. You can see that the minimal impedance between the peaks, is exactly 30Hz, which is the tuning frequency of the model. So they are correct about that.

Now LaVoce correctly describe this unit as a pro sub driver. So this driver is for use in Cinema and large auditorium applications. It is NOT a domestic driver.

LaVoce are an Italian loudspeaker driver manufacturer, and seem to specialize in pro drivers. I have been, and am, very impressed with their site. Members here many know that Sigberg Audio are sourcing drivers from LaVoce.
Statement:
The problem is that the driver is 14 dB. down at 20 Hz I have been on the LaVoce site and modeled that driver. I modeled the 8-ohm version. I understand that the 4 ohm is available for special orders, but they don't quote Re and Le. Anyhow the essential performance parameters will not change. The driver has an Fs of 32 Hz, and they correctly quote an Fs of 30 Hz with a very extended bass alignment, in a box larger than one would usually quote at 10.56 cu. ft. I did several models and that volume does provide the best curve as the driver is inclined to peak above roll-off, and very extended alignment ameliorates this. Because of this peak, even with this extended volume, the F3 calculates to 42 Hz. However, if you look at the graphs the 3db point below 100 Hz is 30 Hz. Therefore it is reasonable to quote an F3 of 30 Hz.

Response:
The EVO sealed/slim 21" is a purpose-manufactured subwoofer. Designed specifically for use in a shallow baffle with 17" depth & as such won't be a likely consideration for many. The larger BTS 21" is & will remain a popular option.

Statement:
If you look at the cone excursion graph, then the driver runs out of X-max at 25 Hz well before full power is reached. Therefore the design requires a high pass filter at 25 Hz. Therefore it is not reasonable to spec. a 20 Hz frequency extension. LaVoce specifies that the speaker is in a cabinet tuned to 30 Hz. You can see that the minimal impedance between the peaks, is exactly 30Hz, which is the tuning frequency of the model. So they are correct about that.

Response:
I'm not sure why or how the focus of this landed on the LV SAN & although I appreciate your effort in modeling the driver our specifications on the webpage do specifically note the output numbers above are based on the Eminence NSW6021/6 (which you'll find 100% accurate)
'>125dB @ 70Hz, >112dB @ 20Hz, (w/Eminence woofer)' which wasn't included in my previous thread but then again, neither was the LV

Statement:
Now LaVoce correctly describes this unit as a pro-sub-driver. So this driver is for use in Cinema and large auditorium applications. It is NOT a domestic driver.

Response:
This statement is completely 'erroneous'. Regardless of marketing terminology, the SAN is still just a speaker & as such can be utilized in any subwoofer build. There's no such thing as PA specific or not for domestic use... By that description, you'd nix B&C, Ipal & conventional, used exclusively by PowerSound Audio, Eminence, whose tour grade NSW is revered as the king of the 21" drivers, Lavoce, based up the road from B&C, Beyma & 90% of JBL (It's a much longer list)... These drivers are well-vetted and proven, offering amazing performance within the parameters of each enclosure combination. As always it's a summation of the system in its entirety that matters.

Statement:
LaVoce is an Italian loudspeaker driver manufacturer and seems to specialize in pro drivers. I have been, and am, very impressed with their site. Members here may know that Sigberg Audio is sourcing drivers from LaVoce.

Response:

B&C & LV are both Italian manufacturers, Beyma is a Spanish builder & Eminence of course is made in the 'good'ol'USofA'.
Lavoce continues to amaze with its solid build quality and capable performance drivers at a very competitive price range. In a medium/large home theatre where low disto, high output with a focus on authoritative mid-bass is sought... these answer the call nicely.
From Josh

LV SAN214 - https://data-bass.com/#systems/5d03f339d349e90004d8fcd5

Eminence NSW - https://data-bass.com/#systems/5d0beab0b3ca0a0004fc82ae

Thank you again
~J

Sigberg Audio

Sigberg Audio

Audioholic
@TLS Guy @JasonGSG

Just want to clear up some confusion: I have a good impression of Lavoce as well, but we don't use drivers from Lavoce, but from Sica (also Italian) in our speakers.

And this thread seems to be about subwoofers, we don't use drivers from either Sica or Lavoce for our subs. The subs use drivers from Scan-Speak (Danish). :)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

I think you will agree with me that this LaVoce driver, which the manufacturer describes as a subwoofer, does not qualify as a real sub because of its high Fs and its low Qts which contribute to its poor low frequency response below 40 Hz. It functions as a typical pro audio subwoofer.
That reminds me of the Altec Lansing 416-8A woofers which I was using several years ago, and which have a Qts of 0.25 with a Fs of around 23 Hz and a rather similar LF response. This driver however, while not being able to handle as much power as the LaVoce, has a more linear frequency response in its efficient range.

Either of those drivers require a real separate sub accompaniment for efficient reproduction of frequencies below 30 Hz.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I think you will agree with me that this LaVoce driver, which the manufacturer describes as a subwoofer, does not qualify as a real sub because of its high Fs and its low Qts which contribute to its poor low frequency response below 40 Hz.
That reminds me of the Altec Lansing 416-8A woofers which I was using several years ago, and which have a Qts of 0.25 with a Fs of around 23 Hz and a rather similar LF response. This driver however, while not being able to handle as much power as the LaVoce, has a more linear frequency response in its efficient range.

Either of those drivers require a real separate sub accompaniment for efficient reproduction of frequencies below 30 Hz.
@TLS Guy @JasonGSG

Just want to clear up some confusion: I have a good impression of Lavoce as well, but we don't use drivers from Lavoce, but from Sica (also Italian) in our speakers.

And this thread seems to be about subwoofers, we don't use drivers from either Sica or Lavoce for our subs. The subs use drivers from Scan-Speak (Danish). :)
Sorry for the confusion. The two websites are remarkably similar. I have been able to track down the SICA Us agent, and will see if they are serious contenders. They seem to supply drivers for automotive audio mostly.

Sigberg Audio

Sigberg Audio

Audioholic
Sorry for the confusion. The two websites are remarkably similar. I have been able to track down the SICA Us agent, and will see if they are serious contenders. They seem to supply drivers for automotive audio mostly.
Hm, interesting. I'm not aware of a single driver targeted towards the automotive industry in their European product catalogue. Are you sure it's the same company? :)

EDIT: Or did you mean the distributor perhaps, not Sica.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hm, interesting. I'm not aware of a single driver targeted towards the automotive industry in their European product catalogue. Are you sure it's the same company? :)

EDIT: Or did you mean the distributor perhaps, not Sica.
Yes, I have the right outfit as indicated by SICA as their American agents. They stock Jensen speakers mainly. They only have two 6 CX 2 PL drivers in stock. They are an outfit called MACCauto. The guy I am corresponding with certainly does not have English as his first language. Both SICA and LaVoce seem to have very useful drivers. They would seem to have units that would be very useful to the DIY community. Both companies have drivers that would appear at first glance to be promising for center speakers. There really is a dearth of decent center speakers. That speaker is so frequently a really weak link in home AV systems. Some LaVoce speakers are available from Partsexpress.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis