Integra DRX-8.4 11.2CH Flagship AVR Better than Denon?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The new Integra DRX-8.4 AVR ($3,200) is the most exciting AV receiver from the company in years. With 11 channels of Class AB amplification tipping the scales at 50lbs and rated at 150 watts/ch, along with a host of high-end features, it might be the best value in the world of high-performance home theater. Highlights include audiophile grade ESS Sabre DACs, Dirac Live, available Dirac Live Bass Control, and Roon Ready certification.

One can't help but to directly compare this new Integra DRX-8.4 to the upper end Denon and Marantz AVRs. Unlike D&M, there is no charge from Integra for Dirac Live support and Dirac Bass Control is an upgrade option currently supported by Integra but not the others.

integra.jpg

Our previous bench testing of Integra DRX-4.3 showed the amp section wasn't well suited for 4-ohm loads compared to similarly priced Denon or Marantz receivers. But, the new DRX-8.4 seems to be built to rock as you can see by the very large power supply and two pairs of dual heatsinks.

Integra has put the AV receiver market on notice by jamming so much performance and features into a single box for around $3k. Are you ready to take the plunge?

Read: Integra DRX-8.4 11.2CH Flagship AVR Better than Denon?

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Your link does not work

Our apologies...
The item you requested does not exist on this server or cannot be served.

Please double check the web address or use the search function on this page to find what you are looking for.

If you know you have the correct web address but are encountering an error, please contact the Site Administration.

Thank you.

404 Not Found

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Competition is good, right. :D

Maybe one day all brands (Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Sony, Integra, Pioneer, etc.) will include Dirac in all their AVR/AVP - at least in their $2K models.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Your link does not work

Our apologies...
The item you requested does not exist on this server or cannot be served.

Please double check the web address or use the search function on this page to find what you are looking for.

If you know you have the correct web address but are encountering an error, please contact the Site Administration.

Thank you.

404 Not Found
I accidentally posted for May instead of April. Should be working now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Could be a nice alternative, particularly for Dirac over the D&M offerings. Looking forward to a detailed review and measurement of the Onkyo/Integra unit (and what differences to Onkyo models it may offer). I'm still a little Onkyo-shy myself, tho.

Jacob, makes me curious why you would want the Cinema 40 over a Denon 4800 for $1000, tho.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Could be a nice alternative, particularly for Dirac over the D&M offerings. Looking forward to a detailed review and measurement of the Onkyo/Integra unit (and what differences to Onkyo models it may offer). I'm still a little Onkyo-shy myself, tho.

Jacob, makes me curious why you would want the Cinema 40 over a Denon 4800 for $1000, tho.
That's something I find hard to understand, that such apparently experienced reviewer would believe in the marketing hype such as the "house sound". I guess he probably does not believe that, but given the commercial aspects, like other reviewers, they all have to fall in line...

For $1,000 more than the 4800, the Cinema 40 is way overpriced, in the US and Canada, relative to that in other parts of the world. It is one thing to pay that inflated premium for the look and style but quite another for the ill perceived/conceived "Marantz house sound".

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's something I find hard to understand, that such apparently experienced reviewer would believe in the marketing hype such as the "house sound". I guess he probably does not believe that, but given the commercial aspects, like other reviewers, they all have to fall in line...

For $1,000 more than the 4800, the Cinema 40 is way overpriced, in the US and Canada, relative to that in other parts of the world. It is one thing to pay that inflated premium for the look and style but quite another for the ill perceived/conceived "Marantz house sound".
I can't see it being the aesthetic either....or both.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
I am looking forward to bench tests of the Integra... but also the Pioneer LX805 and Onkyo RZ70.

Pictures of the Pioneer's "guts" seem to indicate that it is identical internally to the Integra - and it seems to have the same specs.

Pics of the Onkyo, show slightly different heatsink shapes, and the specs have 140W/ch rather than 150W on the two other siblings...

Would like to know more about the differences! The pricing between them is Onkyo $2800, Pioneer $3000, Integra $3200.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
I am likely going to pull the trigger on the Integra the moment it becomes available for pre-order. I have an ongoing remodel of my living room underway, but I will be eager to get back to (and upgrade!) my home theater after that!

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
I find hard to understand, that such apparently experienced reviewer would believe in the marketing hype
Unfortunately this is the way it is,, Any and all reviewers bow to the wishes of the advertisers, Be it something audio or a box of donuts. Without advertising magazines would fall by the way side.So reviewers and magazine contributes all have to please the advertisers, so they all conform with the wishes of what the advertisers like to hear, and simply ramble on with meaning less drivel, about something most could not care less about. Sometime I think there paid by the word printed.. What Hi-Fi are a prime example of this.

H

hifiken

Audiophyte
This not the integra or onkyo of years past. Sorry, just over priced pioneer junk.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
IMO this is not competition for the AV1H or the AV10....

It is competition for the yet to be released X6800h (will that come out this year? or next?)

Onkyo/Integra have yet to release the true flagship... the RZ90 / DRX-R1.4 - Voxx said they were testing it in their auditorium during last years CEDIA.... so they have had plenty of time to get it right.... now it is just a matter of timing for its launch.

My guess is that it will be priced at around US$4k to US$5k, there have been no hints about features / channels / power etc... although substantial hints that it will be available in both AVP and AVR versions.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
IMO this is not competition for the AV1H or the AV10....

It is competition for the yet to be released X6800h (will that come out this year? or next?)

Onkyo/Integra have yet to release the true flagship... the RZ90 / DRX-R1.4 - Voxx said they were testing it in their auditorium during last years CEDIA.... so they have had plenty of time to get it right.... now it is just a matter of timing for its launch.

My guess is that it will be priced at around US$4k to US$5k, there have been no hints about features / channels / power etc... although substantial hints that it will be available in both AVP and AVR versions.
If you have a direct line to them, please let them know peng's suggestions as follow, if they want to beat the AV10/A1H, AVM90, any current Arcam, NAD, Stormaudio models, basically any Dirac Live equipped AVPs/AVRs.

Suggestions from an audiophile (not me) consumer's perspective:
1) Use the ES9038Pro (likely too late to use the 9039:D)
2) Use ES9822Pro ADC
3) Implement direct/pure direct to bypass the ADC/DSP/DAC path.
4) Provide native DSD up to 22.4 M
5) Use the best available volume control IC, such as one from Cirrus Logic.
6) Forget about the popular NJM8080 OPA, NJM4580/85 (they used them in their previous AVPs/unbalanced circuits), use the NE5532 (or better) exclusively, even for the unbalanced pre outs on the AVRs
7) For the AVR, if EI power transformer is used in order to optimize size/VA output, shield them well like Denon's
8)* For the AVR power transformer use one with VA rating greater than 1,200 VA if class AB, but class D preferred
9) For the AVR, use 80 V block capacitors, 66,000 ufx2 if possible
10) For the AVR, include XLR inputs/outputs for the LCR

* It may be better to include not more than 7 internal power amps, class AB or class D, people who are willing to go for a flagship AVR should have the room for a small class D amp for the other 8 or more Atmos, Auro3D, height, wide channels.

If they do the above, such a device will top the ASR chart for sure, okay there will be no audible difference vs the likes of the A1H, AV10, AVM90 etc., but it will top any SINAD, IMD, XT charts, or even DF, if measured. Onkyo knows how to implement those components/parts already, all they have to do is to invest more on the quality parts mentioned above. It will likely increase their costs over their competitors by no more than a couple hundred dollars more.

Last edited:
D

depechefan

Audioholic
I have a Denon AVC-X8500HA which I think is great. I wonder if the Dirac implementation in these new receivers from Pioneer, Onkyo, Integra or even newer Denon/Marantz receivers would be enough to justify an upgrade? The new Denon top model is probably fantastic but also crazy expensive...
I am also wondering if any of these receivers can be upgraded to Dirac ART because that sounds like a game changer...
Sounds like very cool products all round though.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a Denon AVC-X8500HA which I think is great. I wonder if the Dirac implementation in these new receivers from Pioneer, Onkyo, Integra or even newer Denon/Marantz receivers would be enough to justify an upgrade? T
I don't think it is, but it depends, and only you can make that determination. You can find out by trying Dirac Live PC version that offers a 14 days free trial. You can run it on either Windows or IOS.

Dirac Live Room Correction Suite – Dirac

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you have to direct line to them, please let them know peng's suggestions as follow, if they want to beat the AV10/A1H, AVM90, any current Arcam, NAD, Stormaudio models, basically any Dirac Live equipped AVPs/AVRs.

Suggestions from an audiophile (not me) consumer's perspective:
1) Use the ES9038Pro (likely too late to use the 9039:D)
2) Use ES9822Pro ADC
3) Implement direct/pure direct to bypass the ADC/DSP/DAC path.
4) Provide native DSD up to 22.4 M
5) Use the best available volume control IC, such as one from Cirrus Logic.
6) Forget about the popular NJM8080 OPA, NJM4580/85 (they used them in their previous AVPs/unbalanced circuits), use the NE5532 (or better) exclusively, even for the unbalanced pre outs on the AVRs
7) For the AVR, if EI power transformer is used in order to optimize size/VA output, shield them well like Denon's
8)* For the AVR power transformer use one with VA rating greater than 1,200 VA if class AB, but class D preferred
9) For the AVR, use 80 V block capacitors, 66,000 ufx2 if possible
10) For the AVR, include XLR inputs/outputs for the LCR

* It may be better to include not more than 7 internal power amps, class AB or class D, people who are willing to go for a flagship AVR should have the room for a small class D amp for the other 8 or more Atmos, Auro3D, height, wide channels.

If they do the above, such a device will top the ASR chart for sure, okay there will be no audible difference vs the likes of the A1H, AV10, AVM90 etc., but it will top any SINAD, IMD, XT charts, or even DF, if measured. Onkyo knows how to implement those components/parts already, all they have to do is to invest more on the quality parts mentioned above. It will likely increase their costs over their competitors by no more than a couple hundred dollars more.
So it’s “easy” to “beat the system” to get the best SINAD. :D

But how many more AVR will they sell by getting the best measurements after increasing the cost of production? :D

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
I have a Denon AVC-X8500HA which I think is great. I wonder if the Dirac implementation in these new receivers from Pioneer, Onkyo, Integra or even newer Denon/Marantz receivers would be enough to justify an upgrade? The new Denon top model is probably fantastic but also crazy expensive...
I am also wondering if any of these receivers can be upgraded to Dirac ART because that sounds like a game changer...
Sounds like very cool products all round though.
I found Dirac to be an upgrade over Audyssey XT32 (as implemented in my previous Integra DTR 70.4) - the midrange vocals / dialogue were immediately clearer, and imaging/soundstage improved as well.

But others have found the opposite to be the case - although all of those have been using the latest Audyssey implementations, with the external apps to tweak and adjust for optimal results...
I have not heard anyone claim that the "default" Audysey config bettered Dirac - although plenty of people have said the opposite.

If I had an Audyssey AVR, with the requisite adjustment apps/accessories, would I seriously have considered Dirac - probably not.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have a Denon AVC-X8500HA which I think is great. I wonder if the Dirac implementation in these new receivers from Pioneer, Onkyo, Integra or even newer Denon/Marantz receivers would be enough to justify an upgrade?
Depends on whom you ask. :D

One group says “No”.

One group says “Yes”.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I'd also include a USB audio input, as this could allow many people who use separate DAC's for music listening to dispense with them, assuming the AVR DAC is good enough. I think Monoprice recently released an AVR with a USB audio input.

I like the XLR outputs, as my power amp only has XLR inputs. But the amp has a pretty high input sensitivity of 2.71 Vrms, so I wonder how much output at low distortion these new Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer units can produce.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis