The Projectors Q&A Thread...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I haven't seen a dedicated thread, so why not make one for various brands instead of one?

I got a question which is the lowest decent budget Native 4K projector with 3D available in 2023 under $700?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
This looks like a nice compact one. Still a bit pricey:

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I got a question which is the lowest decent budget Native 4K projector with 3D available in 2023 under $700?
I've seen nothing in the sub-$700 category for 4K. There is little at or around $1,000 which I would consider all that good. I kind of think of the Epson 3200 as the baseline product I would use for 4K and would prefer to see the 3800 from Epson instead. Then the X3000i from BenQ.

There are models, like the BenQ TK700STi, which are around $1,500, and are decent.

But, when you start basing expectations on price, at this point, the cheapest 4K models only deliver two which are under $1,000. Of the two listed, I'd probably take the Viewsonic, but I wouldn't spend my money on either. Instead, I'd get the HT2050a from BenQ and get proven reliability and performance and then start saving up for what I really would want... which would be a JVC.

This is the list sorted for 4K by price, keeping things under $1,500...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I've seen nothing in the sub-$700 category for 4K. There is little at or around $1,000 which I would consider all that good. I kind of think of the Epson 3200 as the baseline product I would use for 4K and would prefer to see the 3800 from Epson instead. Then the X3000i from BenQ.

There are models, like the BenQ TK700STi, which are around $1,500, and are decent.

But, when you start basing expectations on price, at this point, the cheapest 4K models only deliver two which are under $1,000. Of the two listed, I'd probably take the Viewsonic, but I wouldn't spend my money on either. Instead, I'd get the HT2050a from BenQ and get proven reliability and performance and then start saving up for what I really would want... which would be a JVC.

:cool: Thanks BMX! Your advice is always solid. I ended up ordering a used 1080p PJ from the bay. I have a Acer 720p, so 1080p should be a bit noticable upgrade with clarity and deeper blacks. I'll post it when I get it.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
A couple of the sellers pics. I got it yesterday and am truly stunned and amazed on the clarity and colors after adjusting to my liking. Cleaned inside as well. No dust now. Less than 600hrs on the lamp. Some scratches, but for the price I'm happy. There is a guy who fixes projectors on YouTube and he said this was basically made by benq. I'll post some pics of the screen this weekend. I need to buy a cheap 100 inch screen or paint my wall grey.
IMG_20230325_145317.jpg
IMG_20230325_145259.jpg

OPTOMA TH1060P 1080P 4500 LUMENS FULL HD DLP PROJECTOR 577 hours

F

FrederickHernandez

Audiophyte

Thanks for the advice. You made my day. I am glad I found your post. I was actually searching for this http://rafalreyzer.com/best-assignment-help-websites-for-students/ website where I found the best assignment-help websites for students. I am not so good at writing essay assignments and I want someone who will help me with writing my essay assignments.
Thanks for the advice. You made my day <3

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My 1080p projector still works great. My issue is that it's just too out of date, and the black levels suck.

If it had stellar blacks and HDR, I wouldn't be looking for something new.

Right now, the top of my list is the Sony VPL-XW5000ES. It's at the top of my price point and I'd really love a JVC, but to get laser projection from them and also get their LCoS panel is too pricy. I could save money and go lamp based, but I'd rather not. I could also go DLP as well, but I've got one and while I love mine, I want better blacks.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
My 1080p projector still works great. My issue is that it's just too out of date, and the black levels suck.

If it had stellar blacks and HDR, I wouldn't be looking for something new.

Right now, the top of my list is the Sony VPL-XW5000ES. It's at the top of my price point and I'd really love a JVC, but to get laser projection from them and also get their LCoS panel is too pricy. I could save money and go lamp based, but I'd rather not. I could also go DLP as well, but I've got one and while I love mine, I want better blacks.
Do you have a grey or white screen? Right now I'm using a white wall until I decide if I want to paint the wall light grey from home Depot or get a grey screen, which I would need to save for. So pricey. :DI want deep blacks too...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Do you have a grey or white screen? Right now I'm using a white wall until I decide if I want to paint the wall light grey from home Depot or get a grey screen, which I would need to save for. So pricey. :DI want deep blacks too...
My screen is light grey in an attempt to help the black levels. It does, but after watching nothing but my old panny plasma and my new lg oled, the current PJ just looks sad on dark scenes.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If only I'd win the lotto. :( :)
New JVC...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
My screen is light grey in an attempt to help the black levels. It does, but after watching nothing but my old panny plasma and my new lg oled, the current PJ just looks sad on dark scenes.
Which projector do you have? Seems like most say grey screen give you good blacks.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If only I'd win the lotto. :( :)
New JVC...
Keep in mind that is DLP. It uses the same DLP chip and light engine that ALL the other DLP projectors are using at this time. It is unlikely to be much, if any, better than the forthcoming BenQ HT4050i, which is a DLP model everyone should be keeping an eye out for.

The reality is that grey screens don't give you good blacks.

Grey screens are used to lower the brightness of a projector globally. So, if you have a .8 gain grey screen, you get a 20% reduction in brightness across the board. Yes, your blacks are 20% blacker... But, your whites are 20% dimmer as well. In photos, this appears as higher saturation, but it often is the same type of adjustment which can be made by properly calibrating the projector for best image quality.

The simple reality is that projectors which actually deliver great black levels from the start, are the ones which will give you the best image on screen. Unfortunately, it's extremely difficult to get a bright, really high contrast, projector. As the maximum light capability goes up, it scatters light inside the optical block of the projector, and black levels go way up. There is a solution to help with this problem, and that's by using larger imaging chips in the projector. But, that requires a larger projector and much more expensive lenses to make it all work.

At the end of the day, it's been proven time and time again that the LCoS offerings from JVC and Sony outperform the best LCD technology (Epson) and pretty much anything from DLP.

I would struggle still not to consider the Epson 5050UB as one of the best projectors for the money out there today.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Which projector do you have? Seems like most say grey screen give you good blacks.
It's an old Mitsubishi HC4000. At the time (2011) I got it, it was the best bang/buck PJ you could get on a budget.

Now I want something really good, but I've got a price limit around $5k.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hey BMX what do you think of this paint? I'm trying to stay in the budget of $30-70. Also what kind of brushes/rollers do you recommend? 100 inch wall. I appreciate all your help!

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Hey BMX what do you think of this paint? I'm trying to stay in the budget of $30-70. Also what kind of brushes/rollers do you recommend? 100 inch wall. I appreciate all your help!
I'm not a DiY screen person. If I were to DiY a screen, I would head over to AVS and dig into their DiY screen section which is one of the largest online that I'm aware of. They have tons of tips techniques, etc. for painting screens and can really get into the details of making it work well.

The main reason I don't DiY screens is a function of time. It takes a lot of work to prep a wall for a screen properly. Hours a day, several days, then multiple coats. It's some serious work. Or... I buy a screen in a box, assemble it, and hang it. So, yeah, I do that second thing.

I built a screen once, and it turned out nice, but it was also about 6+ hours of work to do it all nicely with a proper velvet wrapped frame for it. The amount of work vs. the final product wasn't an improvement on what Silver Ticket gives me for a few hundred bucks.

For room paint, I just use flat, dark paints and paint the room normally.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've done two DIY AT screens with instructions I got on AVS years ago. On my budget, they were both great.

Next go round I'll probably source some Seymour screen fabric and get a nice frame. Or just get a fixed screen from them or someone else depending on what PJ I end up with.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not a DiY screen person. If I were to DiY a screen, I would head over to AVS and dig into their DiY screen section which is one of the largest online that I'm aware of. They have tons of tips techniques, etc. for painting screens and can really get into the details of making it work well.

The main reason I don't DiY screens is a function of time. It takes a lot of work to prep a wall for a screen properly. Hours a day, several days, then multiple coats. It's some serious work. Or... I buy a screen in a box, assemble it, and hang it. So, yeah, I do that second thing.

I built a screen once, and it turned out nice, but it was also about 6+ hours of work to do it all nicely with a proper velvet wrapped frame for it. The amount of work vs. the final product wasn't an improvement on what Silver Ticket gives me for a few hundred bucks.

For room paint, I just use flat, dark paints and paint the room normally.
Thanks for the reply BMX I was thinking of just getting a 100 inch screen. I had one in NY, but no longer have it. Too lazy to move everything, even though I still have to move stuff to put up the screen. We will see. Sucks to see shadows on the ceiling which makes some scenes look a bit washed out. The more I'm dialing it in the more I love the clarity and colors. Even some dark scenes are looking way better now. Oh yeah forgot to mention the PJ is in the bedroom.

Campbell

Campbell

Enthusiast
Finding a projector that can support native 4K resolution and 3D at this price point is quite challenging.

Nevertheless, you may want to consider the VANKYO V630 Native 1080P Projector. While it doesn't have native 4K resolution, it supports 4K input and can upscale to 4K. Additionally, it has 3D support and is reasonably priced at around $300.

Another option to consider is the BenQ MH535FHD projector. Although it is a 1080p projector, it supports 3D playback and boasts a brightness level of 3600 lumens that make it suitable for use even in well-lit rooms. This projector is available at a slightly higher price point of about $500.

Remember that while these projectors may not offer native 4K resolution, they still provide excellent picture quality and are perfect for home entertainment purposes. Further, you could consider purchasing refurbished or used models to save on costs.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Finding a projector that can support native 4K resolution and 3D at this price point is quite challenging.
It's not challenging, it's non-existent as a native 4K product.

Nevertheless, you may want to consider the VANKYO V630 Native 1080P Projector. While it doesn't have native 4K resolution, it supports 4K input and can upscale to 4K. Additionally, it has 3D support and is reasonably priced at around $300.
NO! Vankyo absolutely does not do this. Sorry, it is not capable of 'upscaling' to 4K. It's 1080p. It will DOWNSCALE 4K to 10808p, it will not UPSCALE to 4K. It's not a 4K pixel shifter... It is JUST 1080p. It's also not 3D in any real way whatsoever. It can support garbage 3D. Not in any way is it serious.

Another option to consider is the BenQ MH535FHD projector. Although it is a 1080p projector, it supports 3D playback and boasts a brightness level of 3600 lumens that make it suitable for use even in well-lit rooms. This projector is available at a slightly higher price point of about $500.
Yes, BenQ, Optoma, and other DLP models have proper full 3D support using SBS/Top-Bottom and frame-packed 3D, with DLP Link functionality. Some are starting to support 4K input and have things like decent audio output on some models, etc. The brightness claims are garbage, of course. That's marketing, not reality. And no projector works well in a well-lit room. They work, that's about it. They may be usable for content like 'sports'. Lighting control is still critical for good image quality.

Remember that while these projectors may not offer native 4K resolution, they still provide excellent picture quality and are perfect for home entertainment purposes. Further, you could consider purchasing refurbished or used models to save on costs.
Yes, this is true. 1080p is great looking and new 1080p models are still coming to market. More and more, we are seeing these new units come to market using solid state light engines like the new BenQ HT2060. But, solid state light engines with decent brightness costs more than the $700 price point listed... But, that's today. In a few years, I expect we will see it more and more normally at a good price point.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis