Yamaha RX-A3080 to Anthem AVM 90 ?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I am not familiar with Roon, can you kindly give me brief rundown on its pros and cons or just what are the good things it can do that otherwise I can't do. Thanks, just feel a little lazy to research it as for now I just need a summarized version. I always wonder why so many Anthem users are asking for it, like they can't wait.:D
Roon is simply the Swiss Army Knife of organizing and playing digital music, both your streaming subscriptions or your stored digital music.

That being said, I can probably do 99% of what it does, but it takes more work, time and the interface it has is pretty slick.

Watch the video, I stole his description, but 2min mark talks about features. My QNAP supports it, want to keep it simple.
An Introduction to Roon: Expensive but SO GOOD! - YouTube

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Hybrid setup. Have external amps for all channels so I more or less use the 3080 as a pre/pro. Maybe I'm wasting $$$ looking at other pre/pros, just looking for now. Always striving for better sound. Wife thinks I'm crazy..
That was really addressed to
AcuDefTechGuy

But I agree, our wife's think we all are crazy

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Huh ! somehow I thought you had separates Yammy stuff o_O
The CX-A5100 + MX-A5000 + RBH SX-T/R towers are for the HT room.
The RX-A3080 + RBH SVT towers are for the Family room.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It has excellent spec, SOTA class imo, but a little below the AVM70's ES9038Q2M, you can download the Sabre DAC's datasheets

ES9038Q2M_Datasheet_v1_4-3074379.pdf (mouser.com)
ES9018K2M_Datasheet_v3_7-3074373.pdf (mouser.com)

In terms of SINAD, and price at Mouser.com:
ES9038Q2M................... 120 dB .................... $13.25 per piece on quantity of 100 based on Mouser.com's price
ES9018K2M................... 120 dB .................... $8.28 per piece at quantity of 100

In terms of DR, the 9038Q2M is 1 dB better vs the 9018K2M's 127 dB.

If you have source player and contents for playing DSD files the 9038Q2M is better because it should be able to play the highest available resolution DSD files, depending on how they are implemented.

I have external DACs that use the 9038Q2M, 9018 and 9038Pro, they all sound great, no difference.

Before you ask, the ES9038Pro's SINAD is 122 dB, so only 2 dB better but DNR jumps to 140 dB (mono), price based on Mouser's jumps to $62.79 but it is an 8 channel IC, so for apples-apples comparison, price would be $15.7, still quite a bit more expensive than the 9038Q2M.

Since you seem interested in the DAC and the AV10, you may find the following article interesting to read:
AVR - Audio Video Receiver - Build Quality: Part I - HomeTheaterHifi.com

Marantz flag ship AV preamp processor and Denon's AVRs have been using the same DAC and Volume ICs since around 2012. The vol IC has been the bottleneck, according the Dr. Rich's (hometheaterhifi.com) findings, and it would appear that after they called them out in the review, Marantz responded with a rebuttal, but yet they did go back on the drawing board and eventually replaced the volume chip since around 2016; and Denon Japan website actually made a big thing on that new chip, claiming major improvements. That new chip has been used to the D+M's lower models as well so consumers all benefit from that upgrade. Prior to that, according to Dr. Rich, the Marantz AVP and AVRs basically would have the same bottleneck as a $250 Yamaha AVR, in terms of the preamp/dac in direct mode.

Without objective reviews with measurements, it is a safe bet that manufacturers such as Marantz, would likely have relied on people's biased perception so they would probably focus more on their marketing material to give potential users reasons to believe they heard what they were told to expect to hear. Thanks for the technical reviewer such as Gene, Dr. Rich, Amir (all electrical engineers), Yamaha , D+M and potentially others including Anthem might have paid more attention in their design and use better specified parts in order to get better bench test results, even if that means very little to improved sound quality that is audible to most users.
Well the next Yamaha CX-A5300 better have the ES9058Pro or else I’m gonna have a fit. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And the bedroom, game room, karaoke room, kitchen, laundry room ? :)
Hey, hey, hey. The Karaoke room is the Family room. The Yamaha Balanced XLR mixer + Yamaha RX-A3080 Balanced XLR Inputs + SVT towers ensure my Karaoke comes out beautifully every time. ;) :D

As for the other rooms, just in-ceiling speakers. :D

The Study room just has the Yamaha baby grand piano. :D

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Well the next Yamaha CX-A5300 better have the ES9058Pro or else I’m gonna have a fit. :D
I had a lemon Yamaha 2016 mid tier avr just die while not being used , makes me skeptical of buying another of anything Yamaha . Oddly enough my 6.1 Yamaha still works and built like a tank .
Either of the two receivers the op looking at cost more than my whole systems combined !!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I had a lemon Yamaha 2016 mid tier avr just die while not being used , makes me skeptical of buying another of anything Yamaha . Oddly enough my 6.1 Yamaha still works and built like a tank .
Either of the two receivers the op looking at cost more than my whole systems combined !!
Which Yamaha model and did you buy it brand new?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I got it used and it was mint condition , it’s barely used tbh I had it sitting 2 years almost in a bedroom unused . Tsr 5810 I think .
Well, for the sake of debate, I would say this.

1. That model has an MSRP of $550, which means street prices on sale on Amazon would probably be $300-$400 brand new. I usually don't consider this price class as being most reliable regardless of brands.

2. Just because it "looks mint", doesn't mean it wasn't abused or misused or defective BEFORE you bought it. Even cheap AVRs are complex machines and it can be very difficult to know if something was wrong or defective unless you use it a lot and stumble on the defect.

But even if it were brand new, it could still malfunction.

My point is, it's not "fair" to take an example of a USED Yamaha AVR with a MSRP of $550 and say that Yamaha isn't reliable.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Well, for the sake of debate, I would say this.

1. That model has an MSRP of $550, which means street prices on sale on Amazon would probably be $300-$400 brand new. I usually don't consider this price class as being most reliable regardless of brands.

2. Just because it "looks mint", doesn't mean it wasn't abused or misused or defective BEFORE you bought it. Even cheap AVRs are complex machines and it can be very difficult to know if something was wrong or defective unless you use it a lot and stumble on the defect.

But even if it were brand new, it could still malfunction.

My point is, it's not "fair" to take an example of a USED Yamaha AVR with a MSRP of $550 and say that Yamaha isn't reliable.
good point it may just been a lemon.
Yeah I’m not home right now I’d get you the model of my old pre hdmi Yamaha it was built like a tank still works despite sitting out in the garage for 3 years + … while the 2016 one died when not being used .
old reliable (used $50 with 5.1 satellites sub) is hooked to my bedroom tv now that the 2016 one died. :(
Oddly my plasma died at the same time so I don’t know if. A power surge killed them despite my surge protector?? ? Maybe??
my main avr I use is onkyo 818
it’s worked 9 years no problems except hdmi board or chip was replaced once under warranty.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis