LG OLED or Samsung The Frame?

S

SJM

Enthusiast
Is it worth getting The Frame? There seem so many negatives, but I do like the idea of it. I think it's a no brainer, LG OLED and forget about The Frame. My Apple TV already gives me great new "moving" pics all the time. The slight risk of burn-in is acceptable for a superior picture and not having all the issues that seem to plague The Frame. (I was suppose to have already bought this TV 6 months ago anyway.)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Is it worth getting The Frame? There seem so many negatives, but I do like the idea of it. I think it's a no brainer, LG OLED and forget about The Frame. My Apple TV already gives me great new "moving" pics all the time. The slight risk of burn-in is acceptable for a superior picture and not having all the issues that seem to plague The Frame. (I was suppose to have already bought this TV 6 months ago anyway.)
LG OLED. No contest, that is the one to get.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Actually, I was very impressed by the new QD-OLED models I saw at CEDIA a few months ago: brighter, with better colors than standard OLED. See below:

Also one from Sony using the same panel as above:

The only downside right now is that they don't go bigger than 65".

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Actually, I was very impressed by the new QD-OLED models I saw at CEDIA a few months ago: brighter, with better colors than standard OLED. See below:

Also one from Sony using the same panel as above:

The only downside right now is that they don't go bigger than 65".
Any idea of black levels on the Samsung, and if any other issues in a dark room like flashlighting/blooming?

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I don't have those specs. You'll probably want to see reviews on these sets to get the full info.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Before I bought my C1 OLED I had both a QN85a and the Frame. The whole thread where I asked the community here if I should get an OLED is still up (a quantifiable example of why this forum is amazing) the C1 now has 3000+ hours on it and it’s been absolutely amazing. For the longest time I was obsessed with buying the tv that had the higher peak nits output, both Samsungs were a step down in terms of peak brightness for HDR but it showed me empirically that peak brightness output is only one performance metric when it comes to overall PQ at least in my opinion. I mean the C1 caps at 800 and I’ve done a side by side with a Vizio PQ65-F1 that I sold to Alex on this forum and while the Vizio is capable of literally more than twice the peak output in HDR10, the C1 looked exponentially more impressive and vibrant in both films and games using the same Series X and same UHD BD player. I should note I’ve also had zero HDMI 2.1 issues with my Denon 6700h and Series X.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Peak brightness doesn't matter if you have a light controlled room. If you happen to have a bright room, then an OLED may not be the best choice, however PQ will be better on the C1 and C2 than any LED. QD-OLED is new, so I'd maybe give it a generation and it will likely start to beat regular OLEDs.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Any idea of black levels on the Samsung, and if any other issues in a dark room like flashlighting/blooming?
QD-OLED is just Samsung's version of OLED. It is truly an OLED display, and by most accounts is a bit (bit!) better looking that what LG has implemented. Sony's use of the Samsung glass in their top-tier OLED panel is considered by many to be the best looking TV currently on the market.

All three, LG, Samsung, and Sony are OLED displays, and all look very good. I would be quite happy with any one of them.

I would not buy LCD or any of their variants like QLED if my room worked with a OLED TV and the size was right. I went from plasma to a LCD and there are times I regret it, but when the windows are streaming in the room, I appreciate the brightness that my LCD delivers. Still, I would go to OLED in a second if there was an affordable (sub-$3K) model over 85" diagonal. There is not.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Peak brightness doesn't matter if you have a light controlled room. If you happen to have a bright room, then an OLED may not be the best choice, however PQ will be better on the C1 and C2 than any LED. QD-OLED is new, so I'd maybe give it a generation and it will likely start to beat regular OLEDs.
My cheapo A1 OLED can get eye bleedingly bright in my office with the lights off. Peak brightness isn't an issue unless your main room is VERY bright.

I still want to see one of the Samsung OLED panels in person. They're supposed to be excellent as @BMXTRIX said. Even better would be a Sony variant. Sony's video processing has always been excellent.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My cheapo A1 OLED can get eye bleedingly bright in my office with the lights off. Peak brightness isn't an issue unless your main room is VERY bright.

I still want to see one of the Samsung OLED panels in person. They're supposed to be excellent as @BMXTRIX said. Even better would be a Sony variant. Sony's video processing has always been excellent.
I've seen the QD OLED and it is how I would go personally, but second gen should be coming this year which is the only reason I'd wait for the next one.

Most OLEDs in general should be getting brighter this year with a few new technology breakthroughs that are already starting to go into production.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've seen the QD OLED and it is how I would go personally, but second gen should be coming this year which is the only reason I'd wait for the next one.

Most OLEDs in general should be getting brighter this year with a few new technology breakthroughs that are already starting to go into production.
Agreed. I don't buy the first generation of anything. Not a fan of paying to beta test things.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
QD-OLED is just Samsung's version of OLED. It is truly an OLED display, and by most accounts is a bit (bit!) better looking that what LG has implemented. Sony's use of the Samsung glass in their top-tier OLED panel is considered by many to be the best looking TV currently on the market.

All three, LG, Samsung, and Sony are OLED displays, and all look very good. I would be quite happy with any one of them.

I would not buy LCD or any of their variants like QLED if my room worked with a OLED TV and the size was right. I went from plasma to a LCD and there are times I regret it, but when the windows are streaming in the room, I appreciate the brightness that my LCD delivers. Still, I would go to OLED in a second if there was an affordable (sub-$3K) model over 85" diagonal. There is not.
Thanks, when I took a glance at the Samsung I thought it mentioned it was QLED tech....Os and Qs without the reading glasses these days plus my expectations, as I didn't realize Samsung finally had real OLED. Do each have their own manufacturing these days for OLED panels or is LG still the main supplier or? I'm still using plasmas myself, my last experience with LED wasn't so hot (thus the question about the usual issues with such), glad to see there's more choice in OLED now.....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
LED is quite good right now, but it has its tradeoffs. You get sharp and bright, but you get not so great blacks and can get "bloom" with dark scenes due to the backlighting even with local dimming.

QD OLED is a special process Samsung uses but is still an OLED. High end LCD based TVs will likely go away over the next few years as OLED is taking over.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks, when I took a glance at the Samsung I thought it mentioned it was QLED tech....Os and Qs without the reading glasses these days plus my expectations, as I didn't realize Samsung finally had real OLED. Do each have their own manufacturing these days for OLED panels or is LG still the main supplier or? I'm still using plasmas myself, my last experience with LED wasn't so hot (thus the question about the usual issues with such), glad to see there's more choice in OLED now.....
Samsung Display is manufacturing their own OLED panels (QD-OLED) and selling it to Samsung Electronics and Sony Electronics for production of their OLED panels.

LG maintains their own OLED (W-OLED) production facility and they also sell to LG and Sony for television manufacturing.

It seems weird, but companies these sizes have completely independent companies that fall under the parent company. Kind of like Pepsi and Pizza Hut having the same parent company. So, the part of these companies that design, develop, and produce the actual glass, is different than the company that builds the actual televisions. This is why Sony can get glass from both LG and Samsung for their OLED displays.

The general public would just walk into Best Buy and be completely unaware that one Sony OLED uses LG glass, and another uses Samsung glass. They mostly would think that it is all just made entirely by Sony.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
The general public would just walk into Best Buy and be completely unaware that one Sony OLED uses LG glass, and another uses Samsung glass. They mostly would think that it is all just made entirely by Sony.
Agree, and I would say the overall majority of the public buyers, just doesn't care, they just want a deal and a nice looking picture.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, most panels are LG and now a few Samsung. Won’t get another Samsung after having their Plasma and LED sets. They like to spike their images and I couldn’t get either of them to ever look quite right to me.

For those game enthusiasts, LG is the way to go for the best resolution and VRR support. For those wanting amazing picture processing, Sony is the way to go.

While Sony supports DTS, LG and Samsung currently do not support DTS at all. Both LG and Sony support Dolby Vision but not HDR10+. Samsung supports HDR10+ but not Dolby Vision.

Samsung and Sony sets have ATSC3.0 tuners while LG has yet to release a TV with an ATSC3.0 tuner. The upcoming G3 will supposedly have one and support DTS as well.

It seems the Samsung and Sony QD sets have raised blacks in ambient light. Something to consider when deciding on a set and the room in which it will reside.

Most TVs are displayed in store on a wall these days and many don’t realize that on a stand, some new TVs will lean back slightly. It’s worth investigating if that is a deal breaker.

My LG C1 77” EVO is not perfect and has many non image related issues. But, it amazes when displaying quality images. I can’t say enough about the picture when gaming on it or watching 4K HDR content. Wow.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, most panels are LG and now a few Samsung. Won’t get another Samsung after having their Plasma and LED sets. They like to spike their images and I couldn’t get either of them to ever look quite right to me.

For those game enthusiasts, LG is the way to go for the best resolution and VRR support. For those wanting amazing picture processing, Sony is the way to go.

While Sony supports DTS, LG and Samsung currently do not support DTS at all. Both LG and Sony support Dolby Vision but not HDR10+. Samsung supports HDR10+ but not Dolby Vision.

Samsung and Sony sets have ATSC3.0 tuners while LG has yet to release a TV with an ATSC3.0 tuner. The upcoming G3 will supposedly have one and support DTS as well.

It seems the Samsung and Sony QD sets have raised blacks in ambient light. Something to consider when deciding on a set and the room in which it will reside.

Most TVs are displayed in store on a wall these days and many don’t realize that on a stand, some new TVs will lean back slightly. It’s worth investigating if that is a deal breaker.

My LG C1 77” EVO is not perfect and has many non image related issues. But, it amazes when displaying quality images. I can’t say enough about the picture when gaming on it or watching 4K HDR content. Wow.
Good summary of the differences.

I've always liked Sony TVs, so when it comes to PQ I'm biased toward them. LG had a bad rep when it came to reliability, but I've not see issues up to this point.

I personally can't stand Samsung as a manufacturer, but they've always made good panels (maybe not plasma) so I have no issue buying a set with their panel. Their software drives me nuts.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
LGs issues were mainly with the LCD panels. That's does not seem to be the case with OLEDs.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
LGs issues were mainly with the LCD panels. That's does not seem to be the case with OLEDs.
Yep, but it did make me hesitate for a long time before getting one. I'm glad I did. I couldn't be happier with mine and it's the lowest end model.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis