F#%kin' Bandwidth and Bit Limitations!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
No, I haven't had any coffee, yet. So, this is gonna' get ugly. Let me just start with a big F#%K you to everybody in the home entertainment industry. Perhaps a bit of background is needed here. Regulars in this joint aren't unfamiliar with my obnoxious rants. Some are amused by them while other want be banned. It is what it is. My last big rant was about the XBOX Series S. I know, I know, it's my own fault for dipping my toe in the sewer water. I blame my new LG C1 TV. That f#%ker kept taunting me. They call it webOS. I call it webBS as the thing is a huge s#%t talker. I wanted to see what all of the fuss was about regarding next gen gaming consoles. You PC gamers already know better so just bear with me. I learned a few things and was disgusted by a few more things still.

Ok, so bandwidth limits suck. Currently, we are all having to put up with them along with Bit limits. Specifically, I'm speaking of the 40gbps limit on everything. Some devices have 32gbps and even 24gbps limits regarding the universally loved HDMI 2.1 spec.;) There is also the issue of the 10 Bit panels on TVs. I had to educate myself on DSC(Display Stream Compression) and why it mattered in this current 40gbps environment. For those that are not concerned at all about gaming of any kind, there are still issues regarding Dolby Vision. Oh, you knew they were going to come up in any of my rants. Just in case I forget do it later, F#%K YOU DOLBY!:mad: Oh, I enjoy the new DSU and Atmos tracks, but that doesn't mean they don't have it coming.Anyway, moving on.

Some know that LG actually sold TVs just a few years ago that supported 48gbps but were still gimped by 10 bit panels. They saw the future coming and tried to get ahead of it in at least one way. But, the future didn't come soon enough and Microsoft announced a 40gbps limit on their new XBOX consoles and the PS5 announced a 32gbps limit. LG TVs are all now capped at 40gbps and 4K gaming @120Hz hasn't really set the world on fire so LG actually dropped the black frame insertion feature for 120Hz on the new C2 compared to the C1. Though, the C2 supports DSC at 24gbps, I believe. My C1 does not support DSC and has a 40gbps limit and a 10 bit panel. So, who gives a s#%t, right? DSC is just a f#%kin' work around for the 40gbps cap, right? Well, kinda.' You gotta' do somethin' to work within s#%tty limits. F#%KKK!!!!!

It has everything to do with f#%kin' Dolby Vision @120Hz, higher resolutions and rates. No, you are not hitting any ceilings if you have Ultra Certified cables and watch Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos content @24HZ or 60Hz. The bandwidth is there if not the bits. Ultra Certified HDMI 2.1 cables are the only thing really ready for prime time right now and support 48gbps. If every device on the market supported the full 48gbps HDMI 2.1 spec and every TV had a 12 bit panel, I wouldn't be losing my s#%t now. DSC is a work around for current limits. When trying to game in 4K Dolby Vision @120Hz, subsampling kicks in because of the 40gbps limit. Even if the bandwidth was there, 10 bit panels also f#%k things up. F#%KKK!!!!

But, Dolby Vision works for gaming at 120Hz even with these limitations on the XBOX X/S and many like seeing the Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos labels while gaming. I'll leave the PS5 out of this for now for various reasons. But, f#%k Sony, too! There have been many comparisons to games in Dolby Vision vs HDR10 and sometimes games are converted from the latter to the former. I've noticed an ever so slight improvement to the picture using HDR10 and HGiG when gaming on the XBOX Series S. And here is the thing about 4K HDR10 4:4:4 RGB 10 bit @120Hz. It fits within the 40gbps limit and needs no compression tricks. Actually, it's smacking the ceiling and putting a crack in it but it works. Getting 100% of a good thing without compression and or subsampling of a supposedly superior thing that isn't fully supported on 10 bit panels anyway is good enough for me. But, that didn't keep me from losing my s#%t in the process of learning all of this stuff. F#%KKK!!!!!

The HDMI 2.1 features release has been an absolute f#%kin' mess and I've decided to just blame everybody for it. Some hope for DP 2.0 implementation someday. I'm not holding out for it. HDMI isn't going anywhere soon. F#%KKK!!!!!! But, it can be better when devices support 48gbps. Dolby Vision will be better with 12 bit panels. Currently, Dolby Vision causes different issues with different devices. I've just turned it off and use HDR10 with tone mapping for HDR movies and TV shows. Dolby wants to rule the f#%kin' world concerning audio and now HDR video and they can just go suck it. They keep blaming chip shortages for everything that goes wrong these days and never dare to blame Dolby for extortion. F#%K!!!!!! It's ok. I'm alright. I've had a few cups of coffee since I started this s#%t.

So, was it worth the time, money, aggravation, money, frustration, money and headaches involved with the upgrade of my console, receiver and TV over the last several months? Did I mention the money? Yes, for me, it was worth it. I've learned a few things and am still amazed by the quality of the image this TV produces from various devices and formats.I'll never buy another LCD TV. There is no substitute for perfect blacks. I also can't believe what Microsoft pulled off with the Series S. It may only support 1440p natively and upscales to 4K but you'd never know it. It looks that f#&kin' good. There are some things that piss me off about it but I've already ranted about those things in another thread. I'm good for now. Those wanting native 4K, a disc drive and more SSD storage can opt for the Series X. I'm good right now. I'm sitting on this stuff until devices with 48gbps support and TVs with 12 bit panels come around. The C1 is currently the best TV for the money and features concerning gaming. But, it has a 10 bit panel, 40gbps limit and lacks DSC. F#%KKK!!!! Anyway, I'm tuckered out now. I need to go power up for the forth coming LG C1 rant. Oh, it has an amazing picture but some of the other functions and features are absolute s#%t. F#%KKKK!!!!!!!:mad: I should have gotten decaf.;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
No, I haven't had any coffee, yet. So, this is gonna' get ugly. Let me just start with a big F#%K you to everybody in the home entertainment industry. Perhaps a bit of background is needed here. Regulars in this joint aren't unfamiliar with my obnoxious rants. Some are amused by them while other want be banned. It is what it is. My last big rant was about the XBOX Series S. I know, I know, it's my own fault for dipping my toe in the sewer water. I blame my new LG C1 TV. That f#%ker kept taunting me. They call it webOS. I call it webBS as the thing is a huge s#%t talker. I wanted to see what all of the fuss was about regarding next gen gaming consoles. You PC gamers already know better so just bear with me. I learned a few things and was disgusted by a few more things still.

Ok, so bandwidth limits suck. Currently, we are all having to put up with them along with Bit limits. Specifically, I'm speaking of the 40gbps limit on everything. Some devices have 32gbps and even 24gbps limits regarding the universally loved HDMI 2.1 spec.;) There is also the issue of the 10 Bit panels on TVs. I had to educate myself on DSC(Display Stream Compression) and why it mattered in this current 40gbps environment. For those that are not concerned at all about gaming of any kind, there are still issues regarding Dolby Vision. Oh, you knew they were going to come up in any of my rants. Just in case I forget do it later, F#%K YOU DOLBY!:mad: Oh, I enjoy the new DSU and Atmos tracks, but that doesn't mean they don't have it coming.Anyway, moving on.

Some know that LG actually sold TVs just a few years ago that supported 48gbps but were still gimped by 10 bit panels. They saw the future coming and tried to get ahead of it in at least one way. But, the future didn't come soon enough and Microsoft announced a 40gbps limit on their new XBOX consoles and the PS5 announced a 32gbps limit. LG TVs are all now capped at 40gbps and 4K gaming @120Hz hasn't really set the world on fire so LG actually dropped the black frame insertion feature for 120Hz on the new C2 compared to the C1. Though, the C2 supports DSC at 24gbps, I believe. My C1 does not support DSC and has a 40gbps limit and a 10 bit panel. So, who gives a s#%t, right? DSC is just a f#%kin' work around for the 40gbps cap, right? Well, kinda.' You gotta' do somethin' to work within s#%tty limits. F#%KKK!!!!!

It has everything to do with f#%kin' Dolby Vision @120Hz, higher resolutions and rates. No, you are not hitting any ceilings if you have Ultra Certified cables and watch Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos content @24HZ or 60Hz. The bandwidth is there if not the bits. Ultra Certified HDMI 2.1 cables are the only thing really ready for prime time right now and support 48gbps. If every device on the market supported the full 48gbps HDMI 2.1 spec and every TV had a 12 bit panel, I wouldn't be losing my s#%t now. DSC is a work around for current limits. When trying to game in 4K Dolby Vision @120Hz, subsampling kicks in because of the 40gbps limit. Even if the bandwidth was there, 10 bit panels also f#%k things up. F#%KKK!!!!

But, Dolby Vision works for gaming at 120Hz even with these limitations on the XBOX X/S and many like seeing the Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos labels while gaming. I'll leave the PS5 out of this for now for various reasons. But, f#%k Sony, too! There have been many comparisons to games in Dolby Vision vs HDR10 and sometimes games are converted from the latter to the former. I've noticed an ever so slight improvement to the picture using HDR10 and HGiG when gaming on the XBOX Series S. And here is the thing about 4K HDR10 4:4:4 RGB 10 bit @120Hz. It fits within the 40gbps limit and needs no compression tricks. Actually, it's smacking the ceiling and putting a crack in it but it works. Getting 100% of a good thing without compression and or subsampling of a supposedly superior thing that isn't fully supported on 10 bit panels anyway is good enough for me. But, that didn't keep me from losing my s#%t in the process of learning all of this stuff. F#%KKK!!!!!

The HDMI 2.1 features release has been an absolute f#%kin' mess and I've decided to just blame everybody for it. Some hope for DP 2.0 implementation someday. I'm not holding out for it. HDMI isn't going anywhere soon. F#%KKK!!!!!! But, it can be better when devices support 48gbps. Dolby Vision will be better with 12 bit panels. Currently, Dolby Vision causes different issues with different devices. I've just turned it off and use HDR10 with tone mapping for HDR movies and TV shows. Dolby wants to rule the f#%kin' world concerning audio and now HDR video and they can just go suck it. They keep blaming chip shortages for everything that goes wrong these days and never dare to blame Dolby for extortion. F#%K!!!!!! It's ok. I'm alright. I've had a few cups of coffee since I started this s#%t.

So, was it worth the time, money, aggravation, money, frustration, money and headaches involved with the upgrade of my console, receiver and TV over the last several months? Did I mention the money? Yes, for me, it was worth it. I've learned a few things and am still amazed by the quality of the image this TV produces from various devices and formats.I'll never buy another LCD TV. There is no substitute for perfect blacks. I also can't believe what Microsoft pulled off with the Series S. It may only support 1440p natively and upscales to 4K but you'd never know it. It looks that f#&kin' good. There are some things that piss me off about it but I've already ranted about those things in another thread. I'm good for now. Those wanting native 4K, a disc drive and more SSD storage can opt for the Series X. I'm good right now. I'm sitting on this stuff until devices with 48gbps support and TVs with 12 bit panels come around. The C1 is currently the best TV for the money and features concerning gaming. But, it has a 10 bit panel, 40gbps limit and lacks DSC. F#%KKK!!!! Anyway, I'm tuckered out now. I need to go power up for the forth coming LG C1 rant. Oh, it has an amazing picture but some of the other functions and features are absolute s#%t. F#%KKKK!!!!!!!:mad: I should have gotten decaf.;)
I agree about OLED being superior to LCD, which I have never been a fan of. However, being an older super numerated and stuck in his ways geriatric, audio is king to me. Realistic audio to me is 90% of the loaf, and the picture icing on the cake.

Just a brief word of advice, a wider vocabulary and creative turn of phrase would improve your posts greatly, make them more informative and entertaining.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The passionate mind runs hot. Cooler heads prevail and manage to access an advanced vocabulary. That area of my brain is locked behind blast doors for safety when I get on about certain subjects after having many cups of coffee. I should really only post after taking a cool shower and having a nice glass of iced tea.;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The passionate mind runs hot. Cooler heads prevail and manage to access an advanced vocabulary. That area of my brain is locked behind blast doors for safety when I get on about certain subjects after having many cups of coffee. I should really only post after taking a cool shower and having a nice glass of iced tea.;)
No... try a shot of some fightin-whiskey, and keep the caffiene flowin!
;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So this is why I've been waiting, and you sort of educated me on some things I didn't want to dig into myself. Thanks.

I'm not going to buy an Xbox unless I have to to play any further Bethesda titles that I like.

I do want a PS5.

Other than looking for 12 bit panels and devices ready to carry 48gbps...

Can you sum up what is a drag in the system?

Any other input on Sony?

Thanks!

(PS you can swear it up all you want!)

<3

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Ooh sh#%t! Don’t get me going on Sony. I’ll be back! Gotta’ shower.;)

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
If we are talking getting gouged by manufacturers I'll take a $299 X-Box Series-S or a $299 Sony UBP-X800M2 universal player over a $3000 SACD/CD player or a $2000 streamer or a $1500 DAC all day every day. The audio world is marketed at people with piles of disposable income and the manufacturers figured out how to divide and conquer. They divided a CD player into a "transport" and a "dac". They divided a CD into a SACD, DVD-A, and now vinyl is coming back for people sick of trying to keep up. Then they took it anoter step by selling MP3, 44, 96, PCM/DSD/MQA/ and a special DAC/receiver/ for each one. My hats off to the gaming community for NOT having enough budget for the vendors to bother splitting all that crap into multiple boxes and formats and sticking ALL that stuf finto one box (for $299). My X-Box series S does everything my blueray player, my cd player, my bluesound node, my roku streamer, PLUS it games. It also does stuff none of those devices can do like upscale my video to 4K, upscale audio to 5 channel, 7 channel, DTS, Atmos, or DTS-X. So for $299 I am a happy camper.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
In this case, we are talking about limitations concerning bandwidth and bits of color. I like my XBOX Series S, but it is limited to 40gbps and has engage color subsampling if trying to game in 4K Dolby Vision @120Hz. Even if it supported the full 48gbps of the HDMI 2.1 spec, my LG C1 is also limited to 40gbps and does not support DSC to allow for compressed signals from devices that support DSC and have compressed signals for output to fit within the 40gbps limit. I have disabled Dolby Vision in my devices. It has issues and it also causes issues in my LG C1. 4K HDR10 RGB 4:4:4 @120Hz fits within the 40gbps limit without the need for compression so this is how I play games with the Series S with HGiG turned on in the LG C1. For streaming, I use an Apple TV 4K and currently set it for HDR10 with tone mapping on in the LG C1. For discs, I use the Sony UBP-X800. It does not support Dolby Vision as that was added later to the M2. The HDR10 image with tone mapping on in the LG C1 is how I like it. I'm less concerned these days with "accuracy" and filmmaker "intent" as I am watching it the way I like it on equipment that I purchased and set up myself. Everybody should do as they like with their own systems. Yes, I had a nice cool shower this morning.;)

Concerning upscaling, even streamer can do it as no streamer has a passthrough feature for resolution and everything is scaled to the selected output format. I enjoy SACD, DVD-AUDIO and DTS CD as well as Dolby Atmos music as they are all multi channel presentations of music with Dolby Atmos going for object placement rather than traditional channel based presentation. Some of these presentations are enhancements over two channel versions while others are a mess. Bandwidth and storage limitations resulted in compressed formats. Some lossy, some lossless. There is confusion over them to this day. All lossy formats are compressed, but, not all compressed formats are lossy. In any case, if source material is poorly mastered, a hi-res or multi channel presentation isn't going to save it.

As for the gaming community, there different levels of interest and budget as there are for audio enthusiasts and one can overspend there as well. Many PC gamers are putting together very capable rigs for quite a bit of money and would never go near a console. The XBOX Series S is compromised in many ways but is very compelling in what it offers up for the money. The same might be said for the XBOX Series X and PS5. Different folks will make difference decisions and purchases based on their own need and preferences.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
In this case, we are talking about limitations concerning bandwidth and bits of color. I like my XBOX Series S, but it is limited to 40gbps and has engage color subsampling if trying to game in 4K Dolby Vision @120Hz. Even if it supported the full 48gbps of the HDMI 2.1 spec, my LG C1 is also limited to 40gbps and does not support DSC to allow for compressed signals from devices that support DSC and have compressed signals for output to fit within the 40gbps limit. I have disabled Dolby Vision in my devices. It has issues and it also causes issues in my LG C1. 4K HDR10 RGB 4:4:4 @120Hz fits within the 40gbps limit without the need for compression so this is how I play games with the Series S with HGiG turned on in the LG C1. For streaming, I use an Apple TV 4K and currently set it for HDR10 with tone mapping on in the LG C1. For discs, I use the Sony UBP-X800. It does not support Dolby Vision as that was added later to the M2. The HDR10 image with tone mapping on in the LG C1 is how I like it. I'm less concerned these days with "accuracy" and filmmaker "intent" as I am watching it the way I like it on equipment that I purchased and set up myself. Everybody should do as they like with their own systems. Yes, I had a nice cool shower this morning.;)

Concerning upscaling, even streamer can do it as no streamer has a passthrough feature for resolution and everything is scaled to the selected output format. I enjoy SACD, DVD-AUDIO and DTS CD as well as Dolby Atmos music as they are all multi channel presentations of music with Dolby Atmos going for object placement rather than traditional channel based presentation. Some of these presentations are enhancements over two channel versions while others are a mess. Bandwidth and storage limitations resulted in compressed formats. Some lossy, some lossless. There is confusion over them to this day. All lossy formats are compressed, but, not all compressed formats are lossy. In any case, if source material is poorly mastered, a hi-res or multi channel presentation isn't going to save it.

As for the gaming community, there different levels of interest and budget as there are for audio enthusiasts and one can overspend there as well. Many PC gamers are putting together very capable rigs for quite a bit of money and would never go near a console. The XBOX Series S is compromised in many ways but is very compelling in what it offers up for the money. The same might be said for the XBOX Series X and PS5. Different folks will make difference decisions and purchases based on their own need and preferences.
Some of us still have VCRS. They play nicely with any AVR..;)

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You’ll put that thing in a yard sale when the ol’ porn tapes don’t play on it anymore.;)

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
As for bandwidth issue I got nothing. As for DV issues I can rip a disc and use my Zidoo media player to convert it to LLDV and watch it as DV content on my PJ:

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
You’ll put that thing in a yard sale when the ol’ porn tapes don’t play on it anymore.;)
Nooo!! I got one of them new fancy 4K TVs that upscales to 4K!! Just get you one of them HDMI converters. And voila you're good to go!

Edit: all four of my EX'S on Gold Memorex tape. Just think, the 1st ex was before the internet. I already paid to have that tape uploaded after I go. If you happen to run across it when your browsing adultfriendfinders. Don't be surprise everything they told you about me was true. really is Big Mike. :D;)

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
So this is why I've been waiting, and you sort of educated me on some things I didn't want to dig into myself. Thanks.

I'm not going to buy an Xbox unless I have to to play any further Bethesda titles that I like.

I do want a PS5.

Other than looking for 12 bit panels and devices ready to carry 48gbps...

Can you sum up what is a drag in the system?

Any other input on Sony?

Thanks!

(PS you can swear it up all you want!)

<3
Yeah, he is good on his analysis, I recognized his talent way back when he got that lil Droid Yamaha AVR. He's done some really good research with applied practical use, with the audio/video gear he has on hand. One can imagine if he had his hands on the gear that Gene uses. @gene may want to give him a call, I'd bet he can use @Trebdp83 for a article on his homepage. His post caught Docs eyes for a commendation.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You give me too much credit. I'm just a deer in headlights hopin' those are two motorcycles and not a Cadillac Escalade coming' my way.:eek: You can go online and read and watch as much about all of this stuff as you can but there is no substitute for experience. You just don't know how any of this stuff is going to work in your own system until you get it home.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic

Any chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That's true. It's just getting harder and harder to identify the f#%ker these days.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
You give me too much credit. I'm just a deer in headlights hopin' those are two motorcycles and not a Cadillac Escalade coming' my way.:eek: You can go online and read and watch as much about all of this stuff as you can but there is no substitute for experience. You just don't know how any of this stuff is going to work in your own system until you get it home.
If you listen to some members you can know how everything works in every home as long as it has good measurements, LOL. These "scientific" members will flat out tell you that how something actually sounds or looks on the screen is irrelevant because that is too "subjective". Can you imagine how they explain that to their spouse?
"But it has good measurements, don't worry"

CreoleDC

CreoleDC

Junior Audioholic
If you listen to some members you can know how everything works in every home as long as it has good measurements, LOL. These "scientific" members will flat out tell you that how something actually sounds or looks on the screen is irrelevant because that is too "subjective". Can you imagine how they explain that to their spouse?
"But it has good measurements, don't worry"
Some can get (dogmatic) arrogance knows No boundaries about it though, especially with the highly educated. Proven science can't be denied, but has been proven to be wrong nothing new about that.

Last edited:
CreoleDC

CreoleDC

Junior Audioholic
I wouldn't worry to much about standing in a road way. Them motorcycles or that Cadillac Escalade you mentioned. They don't go down the roads you run on. If anyone of them do, I'm sure another set of antlers would warn you first, didn't take you from your other post as being antlers kind of guy. Don't go standing in roads. One of them raccoons may bite you! You good, you sure you not a Cajun like me and @CajunLB. Seems like you could be, you got some really good Cajun (accent) language in your post. If you not Cajun we do take Cajun prospects in once in a while. You'll get all kinds of benefits. We even hook you up with Claudette for a while.;)

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
No, I haven't had any coffee, yet. So, this is gonna' get ugly. Let me just start with a big F#%K you to everybody in the home entertainment industry.
And a big Howdy Do to you, too.

I beg your pardon? Everybody? What did I do?????????????????????

I have said/posted many times over the years that TVs should be left as TVs, even if they come with smart features because those features aren't usually all that smart. Leave it be and unless the TV is connected to one source, like a cable box or a Roku, turn off CEC/Anynet, or whatever the manufacturer calls their fancy new feature.

Carry on, Montesque.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis