Onkyo AVR on the blink; Turntable preamp

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Most brands buy whatever is cheapest, including the big name brands. Whether they get what they ordered is a crap shoot when it comes form CCP-land.

Do you have any phono preamp designs for low output MC cartridges? I really like my Denon 103d. I have looked at the ART Phono preamp with a gain boost, but I haven't made a decision.
There is this from Elliot products.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

TLS Guy, yeah it is Alex Audio and Video that has my amp as you probably guessed when I said New Hope. I hope I hear form them this week. They gave me no timetable.
They are listed on the Onkyo web site.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

TLS Guy, yeah it is Alex Audio and Video that has my amp as you probably guessed when I said New Hope. I hope I hear form them this week. They gave me no timetable.
Did you see this on their website?

• Due to new ownership of Onkyo and not availability Parts, we no longer accept warranty work.
  • When you are in need of a vintage audio repair or have HDMI problems with an A/V Receiver we can help you.
  • Onkyo audio repair Minneapolis St Paul MN

That does not sound good, and it looks as if this repair may be on your dime.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
No, I did not see that. Interesting. But this was somehow not an issue. They are honoring the warranty based on my discussion with them. Could be old info on their site that they have not updated? No clue.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

No, I did not see that. Interesting. But this was somehow not an issue. They are honoring the warranty based on my discussion with them. Could be old info on their site that they have not updated? No clue.
I doubt it is that old, as it refers to the new ownership. I gather you might be waiting a month of Sundays for parts. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

This is a link to their Onkyo page on their web site. We should all follow this with interest.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I doubt it is that old, as it refers to the new ownership. I gather you might be waiting a month of Sundays for parts. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.
When did Onk get new ownership? As long as they know what parts to order and it gets fixed right. I would appreciated an update from them as to if they know what's wrong with it yet, etc..

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

When did Onk get new ownership? As long as they know what parts to order and it gets fixed right. I would appreciated an update from them as to if they know what's wrong with it yet, etc..
Voxx corporation acquired Onkyo out of a bankruptcy on September 8, 2021. So, just over 16 months ago. I have always regarded them as a junk company, but that might be unfair, but I bet its close if not on target.

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
On second though (or listen) the Pyle tt preamp is definitely too harsh playing The Kinks "Schoolboys in Disgrace" loud. You get what you pay for. If I ever have to, no doubt I'll spend more on a tt preamp.
I have the ART Artcessories DJ Pre II and it sounds really good. Got really good reviews. Here it is on Amazon for a cheap price. I had it for my Denon AVR-2312ci which didn't have a phono pre-amp. Now my new AVR-S960H has a Phono Pre-amp plus my newer Turntable has a switchable built in preamp as well. So I'm not using the Art but keeping it around as I may in the future.

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
Holy buckets. Never said it sucks. Yes, Onk sent me to that shop.
Even if they are authorized, inspect their work and that they didn't add their own damage to the receiver! I've had things go to warranty locally, and come back in worse shape.

Years ago I had a Kenwood HT receiver go in for warranty work, it was in the shop more than the living room. It was never fixed right. Got rid of it and went to another brand that was more reliable. Warranty doesn't matter if they can't fix it right.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Most brands buy whatever is cheapest, including the big name brands. Whether they get what they ordered is a crap shoot when it comes form CCP-land.

Do you have any phono preamp designs for low output MC cartridges? I really like my Denon 103d. I have looked at the ART Phono preamp with a gain boost, but I haven't made a decision.
The Schiit preamp looks like a decent product for $149 or so. ASR made a good review on it and Amir recommends it:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Schiit preamp looks like a good product for $149 or so. ASR made a good review on it and Amir recommends it:
The ART DJ PreII scored higher, tho at a lesser price. YMMV.

highfigh

highfigh

Voxx corporation acquired Onkyo out of a bankruptcy on September 8, 2021. So, just over 16 months ago. I have always regarded them as a junk company, but that might be unfair, but I bet its close if not on target.
And the fact that VOXX bought these companies is like rubbing salt into a wound- VOXX is an offshoot of Audiovox, maker of crap throughout the '70s-'90s and now that they're a publicly traded corporation, they have money to throw around. It's not unlike Sparkomatic buying Altec and many other conglomerations of audio equipment manufacturers that were once well-respected. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Even if they are authorized, inspect their work and that they didn't add their own damage to the receiver! I've had things go to warranty locally, and come back in worse shape.

Years ago I had a Kenwood HT receiver go in for warranty work, it was in the shop more than the living room. It was never fixed right. Got rid of it and went to another brand that was more reliable. Warranty doesn't matter if they can't fix it right.
I called them today to see if they had looked at it yet. They said they are backed up 4-6 weeks. Dang. I didn't realize that when I dropped it off. Good thing my buddy is in no hurry at all to get his Onkyo back. I might be using it for a couple months. What would Onkyo do if they decide it is not worth repairing? Give me credit towards a new unit maybe?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I called them today to see if they had looked at it yet. They said they are backed up 4-6 weeks. Dang. I didn't realize that when I dropped it off. Good thing my buddy is in no hurry at all to get his Onkyo back. I might be using it for a couple months. What would Onkyo do if they decide it is not worth repairing? Give me credit towards a new unit maybe?
I had a strong feeling there was going to be a tale to this. Even when they get to look at it, parts availability is likely to be an issue.

How old is this receiver now, and what is the warranty?

I seem to remember that your speakers are Klipsch La Scala. I think you had posted that they are not original but have been modified in some way. Have the crossover been modified and are the drivers original? If not then the impedance and phase angle curves should be measured. If these are not original, it might have contributed to the receiver failure. It does not take much to blow up the current receiver offerings. Since we live close I can easily do those measurements.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I had a strong feeling there was going to be a tale to this. Even when they get to look at it, parts availability is likely to be an issue.

How old is this receiver now, and what is the warranty?

I seem to remember that your speakers are Klipsch La Scala. I think you had posted that they are not original but have been modified in some way. Have the crossover been modified and are the drivers original? If not then the impedance and phase angle curves should be measured. If these are not original, it might have contributed to the receiver failure. It does not take much to blow up the current receiver offerings. Since we live close I can easily do those measurements.
16 months old. Warranty is 2 years. Yeah, correct about the speakers and mods. I bought them this way about the same time I bought the amp. They have Crites xovers, Crites tweeters and Atlas PD-5VH midrange drivers. Original woofers. Interesting to me that the amp might not match with the speakers. Whatever you can tell me would be appreciated. Would it be best to wait until I get it back, or doesn't that matter?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

16 months old. Warranty is 2 years. Yeah, correct about the speakers and mods. I bought them this way about the same time I bought the amp. They have Crites xovers, Crites tweeters and Atlas PD-5VH midrange drivers. Original woofers. Interesting to me that the amp might not match with the speakers. Whatever you can tell me would be appreciated. Would it be best to wait until I get it back, or doesn't that matter?
I just need the speakers. I think we should check them out before connecting that receiver back up to them. These recent receivers are not as robust as the older ones I suspect. The amp specs have been downgraded across the board as far as I can tell. There is now far too much the manufacturers don't want you to know. There are a lot of speakers out there that present difficult loads. The original La Scala speakers I know were an easy drive, but these have been mucked about and will be far removed from the originals.

You hit the warranty period within 8 months. If I were you, I would push Onkyo for a new unit. Receivers are pretty delicate gear, and if there are serious problems your unit will always be a mucked over unit. I would put big money on that unit being a total loss to you shortly after the warranty expires.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis