highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Are you in a country which uses the 50hz electric supply frequency? I noticed they offer both 50hz and 60hz options. Weird is that they list material as being "plastic." I know some dense plastics but nothing that heavy.
Might be using the technical definition of "capable of being shaped or molded".

I really don't think there's a good reason for using a weight- a clamp will hold the LP flat if it's warped, although excessively warped LPs shouldn't be played, anyway (stylus can't be at 90° to the LP if it's cupped). Besides, any weight intended to stabilize angular momentum should be at the outer rim and it wouldn't need to weigh 9.9 oz.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Are you in a country which uses the 50hz electric supply frequency? I noticed they offer both 50hz and 60hz options. Weird is that they list material as being "plastic." I know some dense plastics but nothing that heavy.
I got the 50 in grey and black for my two TT. Every is plastic these days. I'll post it when I get it next week. I really wanted it for the weight balance and strobe 33/45 feature.

highfigh

highfigh

I got the 50 in grey and black for my two TT. Every is plastic these days. I'll post it when I get it next week. I really wanted it for the weight balance and strobe 33/45 feature.
This doesn't answer the question of whether you live in a place with 50 Hz or 60Hz electric service. If you get the frequency wrong, you won't be able to check the speed.

What is 'weight balance'? Do you mean 'added weight'?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
This doesn't answer the question of whether you live in a place with 50 Hz or 60Hz electric service. If you get the frequency wrong, you won't be able to check the speed.

Choose the 50hz I'm in the US doubt there is a big difference with 60hz

What is 'weight balance'? Do you mean 'added weight'?
Making sure the turntable itself is balance for accurate sound.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Most countries use 50Hz (50 Hertz or 50 cycles per second). Only a handful use 60Hz. The standard in the United States is 120V and 60Hz.

highfigh

highfigh

Most countries use 50Hz (50 Hertz or 50 cycles per second). Only a handful use 60Hz. The standard in the United States is 120V and 60Hz.
WRT "Choose the 50hz I'm in the US doubt there is a big difference with 60hz", yeah, there's a big difference.

I don't know how long you have used turntables, so I'm going to explain how these marks work

I know that few countries use 60Hz AC but light bulbs aren't just ON, they flicker at the line frequency, so using a 50Hz disc can't be accurate on a 60Hz system and vise-versa. These marks won't work if you use DC lighting that doesn't have a way to make the lights flicker and if you're not using the type of lights that work with frequency, you won't see the marks as 'stationary'. Voltage doesn't matter at all as long as it's AC.

The typical light bulb flickers at 60Hz (actually, a tiny bit lower) and the marks are spaced so that AT the correct platter speed, they look like they're not moving in either direction. If the platter is rotating slower, the marks will seem to move in the opposite direction of the rotation and if it's faster, they will seem to be moving forward. If you use a 50 Hz record weight or clamp with these marks, there's no way your speed adjuster will be able to make the marks look stationary and if it can, the speed will be 20% faster than it should be.

Your posts show your equipment and AudioTek Belt Drive TT is one piece- can you post a photo? I also see a SL-Q300- that would be a Technics, correct? If so, it already has speed indication and doesn't need the marks on the weighted disc. You'll see that they don't agree as soon as you start the platter moving.

Making sure the turntable itself is balance for accurate sound.

Again, huh? Care to explain what that means?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You're aggressive today, High-five :pThis is what I mean. Smack in the middle, so not lopsided to one side.
IMG_20221126_135217.jpg

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Sales on these stylus. Code: BFCM Which one would you choose? Shibata I bet.
IMG_20221126_140956.jpg

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Sales on these stylus. Code: BFCM Which one would you choose? Shibata I bet.
Yes, the Shibata stylus.

Back to the record weight issue, there are many belt drive turntables that will NOT play nice with heavy record weights. Yours could very well be one of them. One of my turntables, a belt drive one, came with a weight. Another belt drive TT that I own cannot use a heavy weight. It has a suspension to the whole platter and tonearm assembly and putting a weight on the record causes more problems than it solves. I notice the spindle barely protrudes through a record, and that doesn't even look to be the thicker 180 gram type. Your record weight may not be centered correctly.

The strobe markings for the 50hz version just don't work on a 60hz system, so that feature is lost for you.

Good luck!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I bought an original pressing of Badfinger's "Wish You Were Here", their second and last Warner Brothers release. On Discogs, it was described as VG+ that was "off-center, but plays NM". I took a chance at $20. It sometimes goes for up to $150. I was hoping it was just the label that was off center. A friend said it might play "like it is at sea". I thought oh-oh, that will be heinous for my stylus. It arrived yesterday. The vinyl is definitely off center. It is not just the label. Grooves are not! Needle is staying super straight. Plus it is NM, not VG+. Hardly a trace of a spindle trail. I got a steal!

highfigh

highfigh

You're aggressive today, High-five :pThis is what I mean. Smack in the middle, so not lopsided to one side.
View attachment 58814
You wrote "I really wanted it for the weight balance and strobe..." if you had used a comma after 'weight' I might have understood but you didn't mention buying a bubble level until the post before I asked what you meant. Got it.

Definitely the Shibata- that looks like the old AT-150ML, which was a very nice cartridge.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
It's here and tested with a eBay Presley(Mono Golden Record) haul. It works beautifully and SQ on this record is steller.
IMG_20221127_150948.jpg

Pitch was a bit fast and now it's better. It's also smack in the middle with steadiness/stabilizer with the TT. The black version arrived this week.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I'll be enjoying new (to me) music for quite a while, thanks to my brother, my son, and his lovely wife.

Top row from left: Guns & Roses "Use Your Illusion I", next to it is Titus Andronicus "The Will To Live", The Jesus And Mary Chain "Psychocandy", and Madison Cunningham "Revealer".
Bottom row from left: GnR "Use Your Illusion II", Porcupine Tree "Closure/Continuation", The Staples Jr. Singers "When Do We Get Paid" (1975!), and Spell "Tragic Magic".

My son and daughter-in-law had gotten me the two GnR records but also this latest release from Metallica, "Hardwired...To Self Destruct" in a cool box set of 3 LP's, with lyric sheets and 4 individual 12" square artwork prints of band members. Elsewhere I had also mentioned how a couple days before Christmas I went to my dealer and bought two of the limited edition Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs "Ultradisc One-Step" records. I got No.002344 of 40,000 on the Michael Jaskson "Thriller" and No.001758 of 10,000 on the Eagles "One Of These Nights". I now own a modest collection of 452 LP's, but those two are in another world of sound quality. I own and original pressing of the Thriller one and CD's of both, but the One-Step records sound SO CLOSE to a live performance that they leave me aghast.

A paradoxical range of emotions with this holiday season, given the loss of my daughter's boyfriend (36, pulmonary embolism), and my son's father-in-law being hospitalized, yet this music will give me respite and solace. I am grateful for that.

Be well, all, and treasure those around you.

Attachments

highfigh

highfigh

I'll be enjoying new (to me) music for quite a while, thanks to my brother, my son, and his lovely wife.

Top row from left: Guns & Roses "Use Your Illusion I", next to it is Titus Andronicus "The Will To Live", The Jesus And Mary Chain "Psychocandy", and Madison Cunningham "Revealer".
Bottom row from left: GnR "Use Your Illusion II", Porcupine Tree "Closure/Continuation", The Staples Jr. Singers "When Do We Get Paid" (1975!), and Spell "Tragic Magic".

My son and daughter-in-law had gotten me the two GnR records but also this latest release from Metallica, "Hardwired...To Self Destruct" in a cool box set of 3 LP's, with lyric sheets and 4 individual 12" square artwork prints of band members. Elsewhere I had also mentioned how a couple days before Christmas I went to my dealer and bought two of the limited edition Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs "Ultradisc One-Step" records. I got No.002344 of 40,000 on the Michael Jaskson "Thriller" and No.001758 of 10,000 on the Eagles "One Of These Nights". I now own a modest collection of 452 LP's, but those two are in another world of sound quality. I own and original pressing of the Thriller one and CD's of both, but the One-Step records sound SO CLOSE to a live performance that they leave me aghast.

A paradoxical range of emotions with this holiday season, given the loss of my daughter's boyfriend (36, pulmonary embolism), and my son's father-in-law being hospitalized, yet this music will give me respite and solace. I am grateful for that.

Be well, all, and treasure those around you.
@36? Good grief, that's young! Sorry to see this.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
@36? Good grief, that's young! Sorry to see this.
Thank you for understanding. Yes, quite a shock to us all, especially our daughter who was with him at the time, in their home. I loved him, as he did so much for our daughter and he shared a love for music. He and I worked together to assemble a nice surround system, and later 2-channel music only system. He was a (locally) acclaimed chef, and could put on quite a feed at his home this time of year.

I'll miss Nick.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Hit a record sale at a hotel about an hour from me. Filled in my collections of The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. From the Stones, I added "Exile On Main Street" and "Black And Blue", for Led Zeppelin I needed a good clean copy of Houses Of The Holy. Also got a near mint Talking Heads "Speaking In Tongues", plus a live J. Geils Band, Queen "A Day At The Races" and Foreigner "Agent Provocateur".

My Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin collections both stand at 10 each. Very happy with that!
Record_sale-02-11-2023.jpg

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
My coworker told me about a new used records store in his old town that's about 25 minutes drive from me. It turns out to be the underused half of on old small town music instrument and sheet music store. The owner just trying to do something to survive, he seems to have hit every Craigslist ad, estate sale and FB Marketplace ad for stock and was willing to take ANYTHING.

I found 8 that some of outer jackets are in rough shape yet the media condition at least "VG-" by the looks of it. Hell, it was cheap for $54.

Photograph Art Font Wall Snapshot

Top left to right: Bad Company "Desolation Angels", Bad Company "Burning Sky", Deep Purple "Made In Japan", CSNY "4-Way Street".

Bottom L to R: Wings "Wings Across America", James Taylor "Mudslide Slim", Robert Palmer "Secrets", Gladys Knight & The Pips "Imagination".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis