Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Has anyone heard this great LP by Dusty Springfield? Both of these are re-issues. The one on the left is the US Atlantic Records cover. The other one is the European cover and is half-speed mastered. I'd like to have an original pressing someday.

Attachments

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Anti-Static Carbon Fiber Brush. Good price, so I bought one.
IMG_20230319_113428.jpg

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Jose, good luck with it ! FWIW, keep an eye out for the carbon bristles to fall out. I had an issue with that years back with an inexpensive brush I tried

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Once again, a shocking photo of a celebrity abusing vinyl by placing her oily fingers on the playing surface.

Judy Garland vinyl.jpg

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Anyone try these for warp records? Any good? Is this the cheapest one?
Nobsound Disc Stabilizer Record Weight Turntable LP Vinyl Clamp Vibration Damper POM https://a.co/d/i3GnWLz

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
interesting John, do you have one ? if so I assume you're happy with it ?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Yesterday I got my wife to accompany me in visiting a little shop that sells used vinyl and tapes, plus a few related items. The older woman who owns the shop in Hudson Massachusetts advertises on FB Marketplace that she has records "5 for $20" and she does...though those are all the dinged-up Perry Como and Eydie Gorme records from the late '50's and early '60's.

I chose these 7. I already own the Rolling Stones "Beggar's Banquet" that looks and plays clean, but this is one with a MUCH nicer outer jacket. The others just fill in "spaces" in my 510pc collection. The Rolling Stones "Emotional Rescue" has an original and very large poster included, and the Pink Floyd "Animals" one is in exceptional condition with the orignal inner sleeve that has lyrics. I paid $85 for all, and that averages out to just over $12 each. It's no grand bargain but really not bad considering what some of those go for today.

While we were there, both of us overheard the owner of the store asking another customer if they knew anything about setting up a turntable. That person said they didn't, but my wife piped in that "my husband has 3 or 4 turntables and can help." So I talked to the proprietor. She has a Fluance RT82 w/Ortofon OM10 cart and Fluance Ai61 active speakers. She said someone else had set it up for her so she could demo records and have something playing while people shop, but that guy texted her later to say he "forgot to set something."

I checked it out. Tracking force was down below 1 gram. She had (wisely) bought a digital scale with reference weight, so I set VTF with that to just under 2 grams, and worked in some anti-skate of 1.75 or so. I showed her how to choose speed, it that it was an "auto start", and didn't start rotating the platter until the tonearm was off its rest position. It works fine now and sounds OK, certainly good enough to demo a record for a customer.

Fun trip, good records.
Record_Buy_Jul-15-2023.jpg

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Been looking at this budget AT Moving Coil for a couple of years, but never pulled the trigger. I really wanted the Denon, but too pricey. Nice NEW write up on the AT MC here:

Do it. I had already owned the entry-level Ortofon Quintet Blue m/c cartridge that came with the now-extant E.A.T. C-Major turntable I'd bought. Those sell new for $500 and I noticed how much "richer" in many ways that it sounded over my various moving magnet cartridges I owned. I now firmly believe that Audio Technica is offering us REALLY good cartridges for the money. I'd bet that AT-OC9XEB is as good if not better than the Ortofon Quintet Blue.

FWW, about 10 months back I got a $1,200 Hana ML cartridge (for $1,050) and being honest it wasn't that much better. I had an accident with it and ended up getting a replacement at "significant discount", and when I got the replacement that's when I really understood just how much more important alignment is with a microline cartridge than those nude elliptical ones. What a difference it is to have that new Hana ML running right! WOW. Yes, very different than a nude elliptical stylus.

Now having that success, I wanted to try another moving coil cartridge on my other, older turntable, the Micro Seiki-built direct drive Luxman PD-121U. I had never heard a Shibata stylus but couldn't afford another Hana. Oddly, Hana charges more for their microline carts and less for their Shibata, while Audio Technica is the opposite. I bought an Audio Technica AT33Sa. I actually liked it better than the Hana ML originally, though with precise alignment the Hana ML really is more detailed and gets better mid-range and bass.

When I was putting the dust cover back on my PD-121U, I accidentally hit the end of its SME 3009R tonearm and sent the AT33Sa's boron cantilever & Shibata stylus flying into the mat on the platter. Gone in an instant. Audio Technica wanted $569 to "repair" it, but I know they just toss it and send a new one. There's a nice guy out in the Sacremento CA area, Andy Kim of Needle Clinic, who will fix it with his boron cantilever and microline stylus, for about $100 less so I sent it to him. He did a nice job but there must have been deeper damage than just a broken-off stylus because the output seemed to be less than half of the 0.4mV that it was when new. I sent him an e-mail about it, and he called me minutes later. Andy Kim said he checked it before shipping and knew it was down around 0.18mV, but thought it might have been like that originally. Nope. He gets it back tomorrow and we'll go from there.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Had my eye on this box set at Half Price Books for about a year. It was sitting on a top shelf taunting me and I kep putting it off... I'm all about boxed sets these days (working on completing my Beethoven Bicentennial Collection from Deutsche Grammophon). Anyway, it was marked down a couple of times to $99. Not bad for a sealed, numbered edition.
IMG_3289.jpg

IMG_3290.jpg

I think it is funny that on the back cover, the Mahler No. 4 and Beethoven No. 9 images and text are transposed.. If this were a postage stamp, that mistake would increase the value!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Do it. I had already owned the entry-level Ortofon Quintet Blue m/c cartridge that came with the now-extant E.A.T. C-Major turntable I'd bought. Those sell new for $500 and I noticed how much "richer" in many ways that it sounded over my various moving magnet cartridges I owned. I now firmly believe that Audio Technica is offering us REALLY good cartridges for the money. I'd bet that AT-OC9XEB is as good if not better than the Ortofon Quintet Blue.

FWW, about 10 months back I got a $1,200 Hana ML cartridge (for $1,050) and being honest it wasn't that much better. I had an accident with it and ended up getting a replacement at "significant discount", and when I got the replacement that's when I really understood just how much more important alignment is with a microline cartridge than those nude elliptical ones. What a difference it is to have that new Hana ML running right! WOW. Yes, very different than a nude elliptical stylus.

Now having that success, I wanted to try another moving coil cartridge on my other, older turntable, the Micro Seiki-built direct drive Luxman PD-121U. I had never heard a Shibata stylus but couldn't afford another Hana. Oddly, Hana charges more for their microline carts and less for their Shibata, while Audio Technica is the opposite. I bought an Audio Technica AT33Sa. I actually liked it better than the Hana ML originally, though with precise alignment the Hana ML really is more detailed and gets better mid-range and bass.

When I was putting the dust cover back on my PD-121U, I accidentally hit the end of its SME 3009R tonearm and sent the AT33Sa's boron cantilever & Shibata stylus flying into the mat on the platter. Gone in an instant. Audio Technica wanted $569 to "repair" it, but I know they just toss it and send a new one. There's a nice guy out in the Sacremento CA area, Andy Kim of Needle Clinic, who will fix it with his boron cantilever and microline stylus, for about $100 less so I sent it to him. He did a nice job but there must have been deeper damage than just a broken-off stylus because the output seemed to be less than half of the 0.4mV that it was when new. I sent him an e-mail about it, and he called me minutes later. Andy Kim said he checked it before shipping and knew it was down around 0.18mV, but thought it might have been like that originally. Nope. He gets it back tomorrow and we'll go from there.
IMG_20230718_121515.jpg

I will get it, but only if it goes on sale. Last year at a Christmas sale I got these. Haven't tried 50SH microline at yet, but I really like the 30EN. It's basically the AT 120 that was popular like 15 years ago. I used to own the AT 120, but then storm sandy happened.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Got these two in the US Mail today. Normally I don't buy new, but I had a little cash and they weren't too costly. Played them both tonight, very impressed with the quality from Sound Of Vinyl.

SoV_buy_7-27-2023.jpg

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I bought that same Toys in the Attic re-issue a couple months ago and yeah, it sounds fantastic.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Because I'm kind of embarrassed to have only Aerosmith's "Toys In The Attic" and "Greatest Hits", I today added a recent (and quite good) pressing of the eponymous first album. I had bought it in the first week or two after it was first released, but early in my marriage a friend (my best man at my wedding) went to my wife and told her I have agreed to swap some records and gear. I never did that, and never got all of the records he took back. Now I got it again. The band is kind of 'local to me' and I heard them play a local skating rink just after the release. (I couldn't get in the venue, but the doors were all wide open by that point.)

I also got Melody Gardot's excellent "My One And Only Thrill", and a limited edition "picture disk" release of Tool's "Lateralus." Very happy with these today.

records_07-29-23.jpg

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I just got a reissue (no bar code, so I think late 70's or 80's reissue) of Derek and the Dominos "Layla..." for $20 plus shipping on Discogs. Both LP's are VG+, with only a few spindle trails. The cover is also VG+. Must have been in a poly protector all these years.

Attachments

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Flat tire today. :mad:

On a good note last Friday and yesterday Jazz, RB and Pop at thrift store. Never say never I finally found a Miles Record!!!! Plus these other gems...All mint.
IMG_20230801_120444.jpg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis