highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Our next door neighbor to the west came down with Covid yesterday. He is quite sick. He works at MSP so likely was infected there. So far his wife and the two daughters are OK. At my suggestion they contacted their physician to get an prescription for Paxlovid. That was after my wife's experience I recommended that. She is testing negative, but still unwell, with severe bouts of coughing at day 16 of the illness.

The UK authorities today gave approval for the use of the new Moderna bi-valent vaccine which combats the original and Omicron variant. It will be issued to those over 50, and those with immune compromise. They have ordered 13 million doses, and will order another 13 million from Pfizer if that vaccine passes studies. The UK is the first to approve a bi-valent vaccine to target Omicron. They plan to combine this with the fall influenza campaign.

So it seems these new vaccines are arriving sooner than I thought.
After I tested negative, it took a few months to stop the severe coughing but my lungs still hadn't cleared. I had another bout of coughing in late April, so I stayed at home and waited to be tested (no other symptoms, didn't want to take the chance of infecting others if I was positive) and when I was tested, it came back negative. The first time, my coughing wasn't productive, the second time, it was and after that bout was done, my lungs were clear and I could once again breathe deeply, hold my breath for a much longer time and I don't fight for air when I ride my bike. Paxlovid wasn't easily available when I actually had COVID and it took a solid two weeks for it to pass, but my lung capacity was severely reduced in January.

Hopefully, your wife and neighbors won't have further complications from this.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
My wife who has no co-morbidities, attended her bridge group 15 days ago. An attendee was coughing, and told members not to worry as he had tested negative for Covid. Well within 48 hours 7 attendees developed Covid. He tested positive three days later.
This is one of my pet peeves.

If you have symptoms of any sort of infection, don't go to social gatherings! Even if you test negative for COVID (antigen or PCR), nobody else wants your cold, flu, or strep throat either!

Also public health have not done enough to inform people that there is a 48 to 72 hour gap from symptoms to the home antigen test turning positive and that they are highly infectious during this period. So the advice should be it isolate for 72 hours if you have any upper, or lower respiratory infection and have at least two negative antigen tests. Again this issue has significant economic impact.
It's the same here in Canada, as well. People are doing rapid (antigen) testing and assuming all is good when they get a negative.
People are done with Covid, but Covid is not done with us!
Very true. So many people have become inured to COVID, they are turning a deaf ear to an COVID related news and information.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

After I tested negative, it took a few months to stop the severe coughing but my lungs still hadn't cleared. I had another bout of coughing in late April, so I stayed at home and waited to be tested (no other symptoms, didn't want to take the chance of infecting others if I was positive) and when I was tested, it came back negative. The first time, my coughing wasn't productive, the second time, it was and after that bout was done, my lungs were clear and I could once again breathe deeply, hold my breath for a much longer time and I don't fight for air when I ride my bike. Paxlovid wasn't easily available when I actually had COVID and it took a solid two weeks for it to pass, but my lung capacity was severely reduced in January.

Hopefully, your wife and neighbors won't have further complications from this.
So you fit within the definition of long Covid. Two negative antigen tests are very good evidence you are NOT infectious. The PCR reacts to non infectious virus fragments that can hang around for weeks. So a PCR is best initially, but not in recovery.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Meanwhile in the USA:
a] a modified vaccine will be available in the early Fall.
b] the Federal gov. will end financing the vaccines.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Unfortunately we have those that just don't care and those that think, no need to test, its just a cold. Sad.
agreed and when I went through it last month my head cold symptoms took longer than usual to subside, regardless, I continued to quarantine myself

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Unfortunately we have those that just don't care and those that think, no need to test, its just a cold. Sad.
This past Christmas season, we visited/hosted zero friends or extended family because I had a cold (negative PCR test). Like I said, nobody wants your other infections either!

highfigh

highfigh

This past Christmas season, we visited/hosted zero friends or extended family because I had a cold (negative PCR test). Like I said, nobody wants your other infections either!
I find it odd to see so many people driving alone while wearing a mask but when they get out of the car, the top of their mask is below their mouth when they're around others. Then, they get into a line at a drive-through and stop farther from the car in front of them than they need to, as if they might get COVID through the car when the windows are closed.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Meanwhile in the USA:
a] a modified vaccine will be available in the early Fall.
b] the Federal gov. will end financing the vaccines.
Your statement b is false. The government has already inked contracts to purchase further vaccine supplies including the new bi-valent vaccines and they will be supplied free to all US residents. You have spread a FALSE rumor that is spreading on the NET. Check your sources.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I find it odd to see so many people driving alone while wearing a mask but when they get out of the car, the top of their mask is below their mouth when they're around others. Then, they get into a line at a drive-through and stop farther from the car in front of them than they need to, as if they might get COVID through the car when the windows are closed.
Are you following these people around town?

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Your statement b is false. The government has already inked contracts to purchase further vaccine supplies including the new bi-valent vaccines and they will be supplied free to all US residents. You have spread a FALSE rumor that is spreading on the NET. Check your sources.
Strange, I saw it on one of the major TV networks. In the same segment as the new bi-valent vaccines.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Strange, I saw it on one of the major TV networks. In the same segment as the new bi-valent vaccines.
Agree, right here is another.
Biden-Harris Administration Secures 66 Million Doses of Moderna’s Variant-Specific COVID-19 Vaccine Booster for Potential Use in Fall and Winter 2022

" https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2022/07/29/biden-harris-administration-secures-66-million-doses-modernas-variant-specific-covid-19-vaccine-booster-for-potential-use-in-fall-winter-2022.html

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The latest information from the Minnesota State Health department show that of the recent Covid cases 76% are vaccinated. However the mortality is five times higher in the unvaccinated. So keeping fully vaccinated is still very important. The degree of immune escape of the Omicron BA.5 variants is worrying.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Three doses of vaccination would provide better protection against long Covid:

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
This is not exactly good news. It looks like COVID increases the chances of heart attack, reduced brain function and other problems even after a person recovers.

The FT article links to the following article:

highfigh

highfigh

That's not very comforting to those who were infected and ended up with long COVID before three doses were possible.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

How about 4 doses? ;) :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis