Schiit Aegir with Polk Speakers

Y

yangyaphile

Enthusiast
Hi all:

Basically, I want to know if the Schiit Aegir (a single stereo unit) will partner well with my Polk R200 bookshelf speakers. They are rated at 86db sensitivity - 8 ohms but from much reading online I believe they are more like 4 ohms (which would rate the Aegir at about 40 watts).
My living room is not overly large (I only sit about 7 feet or so away from the speakers).
I don’t listen at loud volumes (mostly around 9 o’clock on the volume - using an SPL app, the numbers were between 73db to 80db max). I mainly listen to classic rock, blues, country and light vocal music (Beatles, Mark Knopfler, Emmylou Harris, Cat Stevens, Van Morrison, James Taylor, Pink Floyd etc. – I think you get the picture).
I have an NAD 326BEE integrated amp (50 watts) that has a pre-amp out that I would pair to the Aegir.

I'm also trying to understand wattage vs SPL and speaker sensitivity. If my speakers are rated at 86db at 1 watt, why "might" the Aegir be problematic driving my speakers if I listen at an 80db max SPL?

I like the Aegir design because I believe that Class A gives an overall better sound quality. I’m looking for detail, detail, detail - without sharpness of course) Any thoughts/answers are greatly appreciated!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe this tool might help ? http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

If you're not getting audible clipping I wouldn't particularly worry about it, altho I prefer simply to use more powerful amps in general, particularly with low sensitivity bookshelf speakers but perhaps like it a bit louder than you at times :). I'd just use your Nad alone but I'm not hearing things in class of amp design particularly either.

Y

yangyaphile

Enthusiast
Thank you for the quick reply. I entered my numbers at the website you posted.
Putting in the full 40 watts of the Schitt Aegir along with the other parameters, it resulted
in 100.3 dB SPL at listening postion. Dropping down to 10 watts (which is what the Aegir class A biasing is set at), the dB SPL at listening postion was 94.3. So, if my max SPL is around 80, I gather the Aegir would be up to the task. Don't know about heat from it though.
If anyone has a single Aegir with somewhat low sensitivity speakers, I would love to hear from you.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Polk speakers will probably work fine with that amp, but they just won't get super loud. The waveform peaks will probably get clipped a bit. Hopefully, that amp clips softly, or the distortion will be very evident.

If you are serious about sound quality, avoid that amplifier, and get something that has the headroom to not compress the peaks or generate distortion at higher loudness levels.

Y

yangyaphile

Enthusiast
That's the rub. I know the Vidar amp has 200 watts and is a class A/B design.
The difference from reading and watching many reviews is that the Aegirs sound quality
easily beats the Vidar. Do you have any recommendations for a straight stereo power amp under $1,000?

Also, I posed the question directly to Schiit and got the following response: "They are not extremely sensitive speakers but if you don't listen too loudly then an Aegir might work for you!"

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt anyone in a properly conducted test, using each the Vidar or Aegir within their limits, would be able to tell the difference between them. Reviews are often full of nonsense. The Vidar clearly has the power advantage.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If it were me, I would get a couple Outlaw Audio Model 2220s mono amps if you are lucky enough to catch them while they are in stock. You will get all the headroom you will ever want and very low distortion.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That's the rub. I know the Vidar amp has 200 watts and is a class A/B design.
The difference from reading and watching many reviews is that the Aegirs sound quality
easily beats the Vidar. Do you have any recommendations for a straight stereo power amp under $1,000?

Also, I posed the question directly to Schiit and got the following response: "They are not extremely sensitive speakers but if you don't listen too loudly then an Aegir might work for you!"
Absolute rubbish. Never read, or trust a subjective review. Look at measured data you can trust. The net is absolutely awash in audiophhool schizophrenic hallucinations. Don't believe a word of it. Leave an i out, and you will get to the truth.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis