Ukraine – Russia … not more of the last thread

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
It is my clear impression that the admins at diyaudio supports ruzzia and the war against Ukraine
If you state any kind of support to Ukraine, your posts will be deleted and if you provide consistent posision of supporting Ukraine you will get banned.

I suggest time to delete the accounts at diyaudio
Many of forums don't permit off-topic political posts and a quick googling shows that includes https://www.diyaudio.com/community/help/terms/ as well.

So here I think you're quite simply wrong.

>>>2. Discussions of politics, ethnicity, religion, medical or other divisive issues of any sort. <<<

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
They are spineless cowards without any guts
I don't understand the German stance with regards to sending military support to Ukraine. I've read quite a few articles about this online, but none of the ones I've seen fully explain it. There must be more to it.

I find myself wondering if Germany has underfunded it's military for so long that they are now literally afraid that Russia will invade and take over if they do anything to provoke Russia. I realize NATO would be obligated to defend Germany, but the Germans may doubt that NATO would actually respond forcefully to a full scale invasion of Germany.

On the other hand, it may be as simple as you suggest. A nicer way to say it might be that they are extremely wary of conflict given their history.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
I don't understand the German stance with regards to sending military support to Ukraine. I've read quite a few articles about this online, but none of the ones I've seen fully explain it. There must be more to it.

I find myself wondering if Germany has underfunded it's military for so long that they are now literally afraid that Russia will invade and take over if they do anything to provoke Russia. I realize NATO would be obligated to defend Germany, but the Germans may doubt that NATO would actually respond forcefully to a full scale invasion of Germany.

On the other hand, it may be as simple as you suggest. A nicer way to say it might be that they are extremely wary of conflict given their history.
That question on Germany is complex and most definitely the historical legacy of WW2 plays into it. Have traveled a great deal there on business over the years and it comes up occasionally at dinner after a few lagers. Especially during the Yugoslavian breakup and later the Iraq War. It's like a Deep Tendon Reflex against anything militaristic. The majority are mostly content to let others do the fighting.

They are still nationalistic but channel it into a sometimes "sanctimonious" attitude about their pacifism. That nationalism is also channeled into their economic policies with respect to the rest of the EU and that's not a good thing.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
With all due respect.... I disagree, this is not about politics
Let´s not discuss this any further!
If you got this impression from the thread about Russian tubes, someone also commented that anyone who buys Chinese transistors is supporting Chinese human rights practices. I think the post telling one of the others to go ahead any buy Russian tubes was sarcasm.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
If you got this impression from the thread about Russian tubes, someone also commented that anyone who buys Chinese transistors is supporting Chinese human rights practices. I think the post telling one of the others to go ahead any buy Russian tubes was sarcasm.
My avatar is enough to get banned over there

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
An interesting video about how corruption has rendered the Russian army into such a poor shape:
What he doesn't really get into is that the worst, most corrupt official of them all is Vladimir Putin himself. He is worth at least 70 billion, rumored to be worth north of 200 billion, and all of this on a 187 thousand dollar equivalent salary. I would guess that no one has done more to make the Russian military so combat ineffective than Putin himself with his own embezzlement of state funds.
There have been numerous reports over the years to the effect that Putin is worth billions, but it is apparently very difficult to document it. The LLCInvest companies appear to be a piece of the puzzle:

>>>Journalists have struggled for years to establish what Vladimir Putin owns.

The Russian president, who cultivates a public image of abstemious patriotism, has been linked to a number of luxurious properties, including a vast palace on the Black Sea, acres of surrounding vineyards, a ski resort, and a villa north of St. Petersburg.

But tying the ownership of these assets directly to Putin through a paper trail has always been impossible. Instead, his friends have often stepped forward to claim them as their own.
. . .
Many owners of LLCInvest companies come from a group of friends and associates that coalesced around Putin when he was a senior St. Petersburg official in the 1990s, he noted.

[LLCInvest] looks most of all like a cooperative, or an association, in which its members can exchange benefits and property,” he said.

In total, journalists were able to identify 86 companies and nonprofits that appear to be part of this loose network. Together, they hold assets worth at least $4.5 billion, including mansions, business jets, yachts, and bank accounts filled with cash. All of them are interconnected, sharing the same corporate directors, registration addresses, and service providers such as auditors and registrars.
. . .
Much is still unknown about the LLCInvest companies, including whether they represent a kind of informal holding structure or are simply sharing technical infrastructure. Even the full scope of the LLCInvest universe is unknown, with 86 companies and nonprofits representing a conservative estimate. But taken together, these findings offer an intriguing picture of how Bank Rossiya connects billions in assets, sourced from Putin’s inner circle, in a way that appears to benefit the president himself.<<<

This article provides some insight into Putin's relationships with the Oligarchs:

>>>Much of the money that has flowed to the oligarchs and to Putin — whom historian Timothy Snyder calls "the head oligarch" — has been stashed in accounts and assets located outside of Russia. "There is as much financial wealth held by rich Russians abroad — in the United Kingdom, Switzerland, Cyprus, and similar offshore centers — than held by the entire Russian population in Russia itself," a 2017 study by economists Filip Novokmet, Thomas Piketty, and Gabriel Zucman found.

Although it's been hard to see exactly where all the money ends up — and how much of it is actually Putin's — it's easy to see that loyal oligarchs are making bank through extra fat government contracts. In 2014, as Putin grew excited about hosting the Winter Olympics in Sochi, his government spent lavishly preparing for the Games. The biggest winner of this spending? Arkady and Boris Rotenberg. A 2017 profile of Arkady in The New Yorker found, "In all, companies controlled by Rotenberg received contracts worth seven billion dollars — equivalent to the entire cost of the previous Winter Olympics, in Vancouver, in 2010."<<<

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
>>>KYIV, June 21 (Reuters) - German self-propelled howitzers have arrived in Ukraine in the first delivery of heavy weapons promised by Berlin, Ukraine's defence minister said on Tuesday.

Ukraine has pleaded with the West to send more and better artillery as the country runs out of ammunition for its existing Soviet-era arsenal, which is dwarfed by Russia's.

"We have replenishment!...The German Panzerhaubitze 2000 with trained Ukrainian crews joined the Ukrainian artillery family," Ukraine's Defence Minister Oleksii Reznikov said on social media.

The Panzerhaubitze 2000 is one of the most powerful artillery weapons in Bundeswehr inventories and can hit targets at a distance of 40 km (25 miles).

Germany pledged in May to supply Kyiv with seven self-propelled howitzers, adding to five such artillery systems the Netherlands has promised. read more

Andriy Yermak, the head of Ukraine's president's office, posted a list of other weapons promised by Germany, including 30 Gepard tanks and three MARS II multiple rocket launchers, as well as 500 shoulder-fired Stinger missiles.
...<<<

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
While it would be great if Asian and African countries would get on board with supporting Ukraine and observing sanctions against Russia, I can understand their lack of empathy and their self-interest.

I suspect their lack of concern is a reflection of Ukraine being - to paraphrase Neville Chamberlain - a "faraway country of which we know nothing". It's a squabble amongst white people and of no concern to them.

Why Africa does not appear to be ‘standing with Ukraine’ | Russia-Ukraine war | Al Jazeera

These countries tend to be poor/developing, depend on Russian wheat imports and, if they can score a deal on oil, that opportunity cannot be passed up.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
While it would be great if Asian and African countries would get on board with supporting Ukraine and observing sanctions against Russia, I can understand their lack of empathy and their self-interest.

I suspect their lack of concern is a reflection of Ukraine being - to paraphrase Neville Chamberlain - a "faraway country of which we know nothing". It's a squabble amongst white people and of no concern to them.

Why Africa does not appear to be ‘standing with Ukraine’ | Russia-Ukraine war | Al Jazeera

These countries tend to be poor/developing, depend on Russian wheat imports and, if they can score a deal on oil, that opportunity cannot be passed up.
Don't think it's about the racial angle with respect to India and the UKR. The picture in Africa becomes clearer if you examine Chinese investment on the continent over the last 10 years. Those countries elites would not want to hinder in any way the money lining their pockets by going against Putin's ally. This war seems to be crystalizing the geopolitical alliances going forward.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Don't think it's about the racial angle with respect to India and the UKR. The picture in Africa becomes clearer if you examine Chinese investment on the continent over the last 10 years. Those countries elites would not want to hinder in any way the money lining their pockets by going against Putin's ally. This war seems to be crystalizing the geopolitical alliances going forward.
I'm not sure the China angle would have much bearing. I mean, it's not like they're investing in African countries out of the goodness of their hearts. So, I don't think they would pull out if any of those countries supported sanctions. Russia is just an ally of convenience for China.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
I'm not sure the China angle would have much bearing. I mean, it's not like they're investing in African countries out of the goodness of their hearts. So, I don't think they would pull out if any of those countries supported sanctions. Russia is just an ally of convenience for China.
It is not about China's goodness. It's about the African leaders being in the pocket of China. It's greed. Hope you are right on Russia being an ally of convenience.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-56717986

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
It is not about China's goodness. It's about the African leaders being in the pocket of China. It's greed. Hope you are right on Russia being an ally of convenience.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-56717986
It's not like they have any real ideological connection. China is supporting Russia for entirely mercenary reasons - because the west supports Ukraine and also expecting reciprocal support from Russia for a possible invasion of Taiwan.

Yeah, I would agree that there are some African leaders in China's pockets, but I'm skeptical that it would have significant bearing on the matter.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis