Are These Finds Good Deals?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Ha! Sometimes you wait a bit and you might get lucky!

The guy reposted them... this time for a little more but with some extra stuff. I didn't hesitate!

View attachment 54854
View attachment 54855
View attachment 54856
View attachment 54857

The drivers are all in pristine condition (the aluminum drivers don't make for good pics but they're blemish-free). The original owner (not the seller) was using them in a garage (!) so the cabinets weren't looking the best. The top caps were in terrible shape so I chipped and peeled them off:

View attachment 54858

I'm still figuring out a solution for replacing those. I have some ideas.

Included in the haul was an RBH SA-400 subwoofer amp:
View attachment 54859
It works but has a ton of static in the knobs and switches. I've ordered some contact cleaner and will see how it helps.
This vinyl wrap from Amazon would probably be the cheapest solution, if that is what's on the rest of the cabinet. It's not that difficult to glue wood veneer on top either and then stain or dye it black.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
This vinyl wrap from Amazon would probably be the cheapest solution, if that is what's on the rest of the cabinet. It's not that difficult to glue wood veneer on top either and then stain or dye it black.
I tried some of that but the surface isn't perfectly smooth so it feels bumpy. I need a buffer in between the vinyl and the top edge of the speaker that feels smooth.

I'm looking into some thin wood crafting boards, like the kind people use for etching or small scale models. I could trim that to size, vinyl wrap it, then glue it to the top. Hopefully in a week or so I'll have it figured out.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I tried some of that but the surface isn't perfectly smooth so it feels bumpy. I need a buffer in between the vinyl and the top edge of the speaker that feels smooth.

I'm looking into some thin wood crafting boards, like the kind people use for etching or small scale models. I could trim that to size, vinyl wrap it, then glue it to the top. Hopefully in a week or so I'll have it figured out.
Whatever you do, would you do it to both sides so they match? Wonder if a two tone vaneer would look good if uniform on both sides? Who knows. You could always try a couple things

S

Steve Edwards

Audiophyte
I bought a used set of Elac Debut 2.0 DB 6.2 and a Used pair of BIC America DV62si. Paid @200 for the Elacs and $60 for the BIC's. I'm keeping the BIC's. Punchier, clearer without being shrill, just sound better to me.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Now these look very interesting! I've never heard of them, but I think those are true ribbon tweets. A full 5.2 speaker set with 2 12" subs for $3k. SLS HT28? That's more than I'd like to spend on anything right now, but this looks like a really nice, legit package.

00A0A_atfCwQopgYPz_09G0cU_600x450.jpg
00r0r_g7tayFSuPTjz_0d009K_600x450.jpg

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
@ryanosaur might dig this huge cabinet made for dual 15" drivers for 50 bucks! Damn... that is kinda tempting! I have no clue what the volume is or what drivers it was made for tho. Ain't jack squat in the description...

View attachment 55078

Maybe you could try to find out which woofer drivers they were intended to be used for. If you could get the net internal volume, that would be a plus.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh man... now these are just a tease and definitely out of reach for me but if I had the money...

Focal Utopia Alto Be towers for $6.7k.

00M0M_carj8nCtMEiz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

He has an amp and sub for sale too. Definitely a rich dude in Cavecreek.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe you could try to find out which woofer drivers they were intended to be used for. If you could get the net internal volume, that would be a plus.
I zipped him an email and asked what drivers it was designed for or if he knows the internal volume. I asked if it's ported or folded horn too, tho it does look ported.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I zipped him an email and asked what drivers it was designed for or if he knows the internal volume. I asked if it's ported or folded horn too, tho it does look ported.
Yes, it looks like a flared front port.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Now these look very interesting! I've never heard of them, but I think those are true ribbon tweets. A full 5.2 speaker set with 2 12" subs for $3k. SLS HT28? That's more than I'd like to spend on anything right now, but this looks like a really nice, legit package.

View attachment 55076 View attachment 55077

These SLS speakers have me curious. They look(ed?) like a high end commercial outfit. They do use true ribbon tweeters and those are 8" drivers. They're supposedly clean, accurate high output speakers.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Those do look nice. It's hard to take a $3,000 gamble though. But I bet they are nice. wonder what they are comparable to?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, it looks like a flared front port.
Got a reply.

"It was designed for the Dayton audio reference series 15in subs. Each side has 8.9 cubic feet of volume. The port is tuned for 20hz, not folded. The front is double 3/4 in and it has some internal bracing. It's BIG."

Dude sounds like he knew what he was doing, but then got to this part.

"I built the back with a specific amp in mind. It failed after a few months and they stopped making it. So I decided to go with different amps and with a smaller sealed cabinet."

I'm guessing there's a big hole in the back for a plate amp or something along those lines.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those do look nice. It's hard to take a $3,000 gamble though. But I bet they are nice. wonder what they are comparable to?
I found very little about them.

There's almost as much info in the ad as on the website.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Got a reply.

"It was designed for the Dayton audio reference series 15in subs. Each side has 8.9 cubic feet of volume. The port is tuned for 20hz, not folded. The front is double 3/4 in and it has some internal bracing. It's BIG."

"I built the back with a specific amp in mind. It failed after a few months and they stopped making it. So I decided to go with different amps and with a smaller sealed cabinet."

I'm guessing there's a big hole in the back for a plate amp or something along those lines.
Or just a dead plate amp still in there.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Got a reply.

Very cool. The way some people are designing subs these days, that could work with a variety of drivers, assuming the port tuning is what you are looking for.
Or just a dead plate amp still in there.
There are worse things… this could be easily patched with a little craftiness… ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis