Can PS Audio Make a Flagship Level Perfoming Loudspeaker?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I heard Anthony Grimani comment on one of your streams that cables make a very slight audible difference, but treatments, etc make a much bigger difference. Now, he's a smart dude. So, I am starting to wonder, hmmm, perhaps a blind test and lie detector test is in order to test you with your exotic Kimber cables vs some 10 dollar Amazon wire.... wouldn't you think?
That would be extremely interesting.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

M

mns3dhm

Enthusiast
According to their website, Round 1 (ships by 2/28/22) is sold out and Round 2 (ships by 4/30/22) is also sold out. We don't know how many speakers were involved in either of these, so I take this with a grain of salt. I would think their sunk costs on this are pretty substantial based on the cabinet, drivers, corossover, etc. so we also don't know how many they have to sell to break even. As a small U.S. manufacturer, I wish them luck. Stereophile will almost certainly review it so it should be interesting to see how it measures and what they have to say.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
PS Audio has their disciples that still remember the company as being competent, elite, newcomers springing up from the liberal bastion of Boulder, Colorado. At that price range it will likely be a smug purchase decision by one of their disciples rather than one based on measured merit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have somewhat a natural aversion to sales people like Paul I suppose, I don't find him particularly likeable....especially when he starts audiophile-babbling :)

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Paul McGowan is simple a parrot for his advertiser masters, he would be out of work if he said something was a load of crap, So they color it up and say something's don't quite come up to expectations. Most /All reviewers are tarred with the same brush, They waffle on page after page, I sometimes wonder if there paid by the word printed. And mostly the review comes with a full page advert for the same product. Unfortunately most Audio magazines play the game of supporting the advertisers. Don't fully support the advertisers and it's game over.. And Johnny reviewer is down the job centre the next day. It's more then likely it's the same with other things. If you want to keep your job, don't say anything controversial. .Need less to say I no longer subscribe to there publications. And the dollar exchange rates don't help ether. The Aussie dollar's worth some like 72 cents USD

So all these reviewers jump on Internet channels like "You Tube" smile nicely and proceed to inform, the uninformed about the wonders of a product there paid to waffle on about. If you believe some of the crap, they talk about then there's simple no hope for you. Some of them even have a sign embossed on the screen "Subscribe Now" Which of cause increase there dollar value even more. The joke of cause is, you can view the crap for free without subscribing..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
PS Audio has their disciples that still remember the company as being competent, elite, newcomers springing up from the liberal bastion of Boulder, Colorado. At that price range it will likely be a smug purchase decision by one of their disciples rather than one based on measured merit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Some just remember the Colombian Gold :)

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
According to their website, Round 1 (ships by 2/28/22) is sold out and Round 2 (ships by 4/30/22) is also sold out. We don't know how many speakers were involved in either of these, so I take this with a grain of salt. I would think their sunk costs on this are pretty substantial based on the cabinet, drivers, corossover, etc. so we also don't know how many they have to sell to break even. As a small U.S. manufacturer, I wish them luck. Stereophile will almost certainly review it so it should be interesting to see how it measures and what they have to say.
I got to tour their facility once, heard their Infinity speaker setup and my immediate thought was that their listening room was very much on the small side for that speaker. Could this new PS Audio speaker keep up with their gold standard Inifinity? Probably not. It would indeed be nice to see a review from John Atkinson.

It is a percent time of their core engineering group that would have been spared for R&D. So, he didn't spend any fortune on engineering labor with guys who are just otherwise on his regular exempt payroll. You would also be surprised how much things don't cost w.r.t components. In fact, it looks to me like he's going to score big with his speaker's sales, considering how it is priced. He also seems to have a fairly wealthy fanbase worldwide. So, it is believable if he is sold out at all times, assuming that his company can't churn out a high enough volume of these speakers to meet demand.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Paul made a video the other day that there are more speakers coming, smaller and smaller down to 3-4 thousand each. The next one is gonna be shorter than this FR30 and then down the line a smaller sizes. I guess they are getting serious about speakers.

R

Razvan23

Audiophyte
Paul has made a grave mistake. I'm surprised no one has pointed this out yet and I did not see it in the mini review. I promise Paul didn't disclose this to Audioholics. Very tricky. But he has admitted on one of his YouTube videos. The FR30's are made in CHINA! 30k speakers made in CHINA. The majority of audiophiles will find this unacceptable. To me it's like a Ferrari made in CHINA. Disgusting. Why? Name one other speaker manufacturer that has a 30k+ speaker that is made in CHINA? I know of none. Not one. Very high end isn't made there for a reason. Lastly, he has a garbage trade in policy on the FR30's. It's capped off at $8550. So, I can have a 5 year old 80k pair of speakers and he'll give me a whopping $8550 trade value?? In other words, the FR30's are a 20k speaker. Then on YouTube Paul went on to say these will compete with speakers 10x the price! This guy is off his rocker. Not sure if he knows that means 300k speakers! Posting all this detail before anyone buys and knows what they are getting into. Don't forget to buy one of Paul's $10,000 power regenerators. LOL!!!!!!!!! What a scammer. Gene....come on man! Paul's a slimey snake - oil salesman. Period.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Paul has made a grave mistake. I'm surprised no one has pointed this out yet and I did not see it in the mini review. I promise Paul didn't disclose this to Audioholics. Very tricky. But he has admitted on one of his YouTube videos. The FR30's are made in CHINA! 30k speakers made in CHINA. The majority of audiophiles will find this unacceptable. To me it's like a Ferrari made in CHINA. Disgusting. Why? Name one other speaker manufacturer that has a 30k+ speaker that is made in CHINA? I know of none. Not one. Very high end isn't made there for a reason. Lastly, he has a garbage trade in policy on the FR30's. It's capped off at $8550. So, I can have a 5 year old 80k pair of speakers and he'll give me a whopping $8550 trade value?? In other words, the FR30's are a 20k speaker. Then on YouTube Paul went on to say these will compete with speakers 10x the price! This guy is off his rocker. Not sure if he knows that means 300k speakers! Posting all this detail before anyone buys and knows what they are getting into. Don't forget to buy one of Paul's $10,000 power regenerators. LOL!!!!!!!!! What a scammer. Gene....come on man! Paul's a slimey snake - oil salesman. Period.
An audiophile doesn't particularly care where things are made as long as they are made well and perform in general. The US hasn't been a particular leader. You can spend $300k on crap like Wilson, tho. I'm not a fan of BS Audio in general, but would love to see more....if the speakers were imported as complete items then legally they should be marked Made in China....Paul might have slimed that part or is it marked that way?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I thought these are made in the US is Colorado. Are we sure they are Chinese made?

R

Razvan23

Audiophyte
An audiophile doesn't particularly care where things are made as long as they are made well and perform in general. The US hasn't been a particular leader. You can spend $300k on crap like Wilson, tho. I'm not a fan of BS Audio in general, but would love to see more....if the speakers were imported as complete items then legally they should be marked Made in China....Paul might have slimed that part or is it marked that way?
I have to correct you. Look at the recent videos on YouTube of Paul talking about the speakers.......tons of comments shocked and appalled that they are made in CHINA. The proof is right there. The whole world makes very high end. So we are not stuck at the USA for options. If you bought a 30k speaker not knowing at all where it is made and you have 5 guesses as to where it is made........ being truthful......would one guess be CHINA? I'm willing to bet my first child you wouldn't.:):) Not sure if it's marked that way.....

R

Razvan23

Audiophyte
I thought these are made in the US is Colorado. Are we sure they are Chinese made?

Thats what everyone was thinking! It's nuts! 100% made in CHINA! Paul was questioned about the Air Korea stamps on the wooden crates. Further talk on his YouTube channel lead to Paul admitting they were made in CHINA.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have to correct you. Look at the recent videos on YouTube of Paul talking about the speakers.......tons of comments shocked and appalled that they are made in CHINA. The proof is right there. The whole world makes very high end. So we are not stuck at the USA for options. If you bought a 30k speaker not knowing at all where it is made and you have 5 guesses as to where it is made........ being truthful......would one guess be CHINA? I'm willing to bet my first child you wouldn't.:):) Not sure if it's marked that way.....
I'll take it that they are, I have no desire to give those kind of folk any attention particularly. Be nice if on the PS site it would be clear about manufacture, but I just looked and it isn't. Yes, many high end things are made in China and other points outside of the major western countries.....that's how we work :) I might think Taiwan for some stuff ahead of China, but Taiwanese guys have expanded into China, too.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Thats what everyone was thinking! It's nuts! 100% made in CHINA! Paul was questioned about the Air Korea stamps on the wooden crates. Further talk on his YouTube channel lead to Paul admitting they were made in CHINA.
Oh wow I'm actually kinda surprised. I thought everything PS Audio made was made in Colorado. These being so expensive really is surprising. I'll have to check those videos out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh wow I'm actually kinda surprised. I thought everything PS Audio made was made in Colorado. These being so expensive really is surprising. I'll have to check those videos out.

No, don't think that's been true largely for them at all. Marketed from Boulder.....

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
If the whole thing is indeed made in China, i estimate that it costs sneaky li'l Paul about 3k per speaker pair. He is looking to bag 25k in profit per pair.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
No, don't think that's been true largely for them at all. Marketed from Boulder.....
Oh wow I guess I had no idea. He kinda makes it seem like in the videos that they have this big building and I guess I just jumped to conclusions that everything was made in house right here. I coupled that with how expensive their products are. Never assume right or you become the first 3 letters of that word.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis