Can PS Audio Make a Flagship Level Perfoming Loudspeaker?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
PS Audio has finally introduced the company’s first-ever loudspeaker, the aspen FR30 ($28,499/pair). The FR30 is a 3-way tower speaker that combines planar magnetic tweeters and midrange drivers with dynamic woofers (4 active 8" drivers and 4 10" side-firing passive radiators). Will PS Audio be able to compete with established loudspeaker brands in this high-end space? Curious what wiring will be inside the speakers since they are so fond of Audioquest. Paul claims these are custom made drivers as indicated below.

We knew that, in order to make our product do what we wanted, we couldn’t just use off-the-shelf parts. We had to build this from the ground up. Everything — from the magnets, to the woofer, to the coils — every single bit had to be designed, and I don’t have the chops to do that. Chris Brunhaver has the chops; he has the passion, and he just fit right in.
— Paul McGowan, PS Audio CEO

PS-audio.jpg

Read: PS Audio Aims High with First-Ever Loudspeaker - aspen FR30

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
PS Audio has finally introduced the company’s first-ever loudspeaker, the aspen FR30 ($28,499/pair). The FR30 is a 3-way tower speaker that combines planar magnetic tweeters and midrange drivers with dynamic woofers (4 active 8" drivers and 4 10" side-firing passive radiators). Will PS Audio be able to compete with established loudspeaker brands in this high-end space? Curious what wiring will be inside the speakers since they are so fond of Audioquest.
Won't they have to raise the price if they wire internally with audioquest? :)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I like Paul, very interesting guy, interesting videos on YouTube but when he starts with the expensive cable crap I just about puke. I've argued with him a little on that subject too. These speakers are just a tad expensive and in my opinion extreme to the ugly side. They must weigh a ton too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
With a 10" planar midrange. I suspect these would have strange vertical dispersion behavior. A polar map of the vertical plane would be interesting.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
No doubt Salk will have a better speaker at a third of the price.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Intriguing…
I really dig my BG planar mids on the Phil 3s. Coupled with the Raal 70-10, there is little I find myself wanting in sound quality.
Would I buy this? No. But I also wouldn’t buy KEFs.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
PS Audio has finally introduced the company’s first-ever loudspeaker, the aspen FR30 ($28,499/pair). The FR30 is a 3-way tower speaker that combines planar magnetic tweeters and midrange drivers with dynamic woofers (4 active 8" drivers and 4 10" side-firing passive radiators). Will PS Audio be able to compete with established loudspeaker brands in this high-end space? Curious what wiring will be inside the speakers since they are so fond of Audioquest. Paul claims these are custom made drivers as indicated below.

— Paul McGowan, PS Audio CEO

View attachment 53479

Read: PS Audio Aims High with First-Ever Loudspeaker - aspen FR30
OK, so they have 'active drivers'- what is being used for amplification?

D

dutchholic

Junior Audioholic
Paul McGowan ? That's the guy with almost the worst measured DAC EVER of ~6K+ dollar(especially in it's pricerange) and it's the same guy that's spreading loads of nonsense about cables and power conditioners and loads of other nonsense on the internet?

Now he makes it to the frontpage of audioholics? :rolleyes: *sigh* I just wished that I never heared of him again... but he is THE marketing genius so he will find his way in this audio business once again for sure.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well Jacob does say Gene rolls his eyes on some of the BSAudio stuff....

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Yeah I like Paul, very interesting guy, interesting videos on YouTube but when he starts with the expensive cable crap I just about puke. I've argued with him a little on that subject too. These speakers are just a tad expensive and in my opinion extreme to the ugly side. They must weigh a ton too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
It could have been worse. Wilson makes some real ugly ones.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Looks highly unstable and top heavy.

I can think of a lot better speaker to spend my 28 grand on, Sorry

Hopefully we will never see them for sale in OZ

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It could have been worse. Wilson makes some real ugly ones.
To be fair... Speakers don't have to look good to sound good... but it seems Wilsons even struggle with that, too! ;)

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I’ve met Paul and took his tour, very passionate and extremely fun to listen to. He gets a little excited about cables and sonic synergy, but he sure can set up a room. His irs beta setup was the best setup I’ve ever heard. To me the fr30 look as good as a lot of the luxury brand speakers. Wilson, RBH and legacy are uglier than the fr30, but just my preference. Also rbh loves nice speaker cables too. They wire internally with kimber, which make no sense. Even gene is using nicer cables now, if you have the money do what makes you happy.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Paul McGowan ? That's the guy with almost the worst measured DAC EVER of ~6K+ dollar(especially in it's pricerange) and it's the same guy that's spreading loads of nonsense about cables and power conditioners and loads of other nonsense on the internet?

Now he makes it to the frontpage of audioholics? :rolleyes: *sigh* I just wished that I never heared of him again... but he is THE marketing genius so he will find his way in this audio business once again for sure.
He touts a lot of snake oil but I have to admit he has a likeable personality on Youtube. Why not cover the speaker? It's expensive, it looks pretty cool and I am intrigued to hear it. Hey I like exotic cables too but I know that they don't do jack squat to improve the fidelity over inexpensive low gauge multi-stranded wire.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
I'm buying 15 of them for my HT, 9 ear level 6 heights mounted by chains. :p

jinjuku

jinjuku

He touts a lot of snake oil but I have to admit he has a likeable personality on Youtube.
Likeable or unlikeable, his products from an empirical measurement pov measure incredibly poorly. I take issue with their engineering philosophies that allow what is basically nicely packaged excrement to reach market.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
He touts a lot of snake oil but I have to admit he has a likeable personality on Youtube. Why not cover the speaker? It's expensive, it looks pretty cool and I am intrigued to hear it. Hey I like exotic cables too but I know that they don't do jack squat to improve the fidelity over inexpensive low gauge multi-stranded wire.
I heard Anthony Grimani comment on one of your streams that cables make a very slight audible difference, but treatments, etc make a much bigger difference. Now, he's a smart dude. So, I am starting to wonder, hmmm, perhaps a blind test and lie detector test is in order to test you with your exotic Kimber cables vs some 10 dollar Amazon wire.... wouldn't you think?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis