Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Dan, just get an AVR and don’t even worry about buying any amps. You don’t need them.

Your main bad-a$$ HT room already has the separates - AVP + Amps.

The 2nd room just needs the AVR. No need for amps. :D

Just like my living room only has the RX-A3080 to power the SV-831‘s. Don’t need any amps to power the speakers. The SV-1212N‘s are powered by the sub-amp.
Every time people say separates, I would think about separate power supply, preamp and power amp that's in a conventional, traditional, old fashion sense. I understand why people would consider AVP, or AVC a "separate" component because it is a "separate" part that would otherwise reside in an AVR, but then people need to understand that if an AVR is not "separate", neither is an AVP that is really just an AVR minus the power amp. So if integrated amp = preamp + power amp ≠ "separate component", then an AVP = AV processor + Preamp ≠ "separate" either :p. Also, it is easy for anyone to understand AVPs are very complicated device with numerous parts, compare to preamps and power amps, with many hardware that can fail, and software/firmware that can be buggy. Anyway, this is just for argument sake so please feel free to debate but do not attach.:p

Arguments aside, imo it is sort of a new myth that nice guys such as TLSG has been pushing, that AVRs are bad because... and AVPs are the way to good because....reliability blablabla. The fact is, for normal use, the part that would fail most often first in an AVR are the AVP part, not the internal amps. All of my previously own AVR including the entry level and primitive RX-V659, AVR-3805, AVR-4308, AVR1912 that I have given to friends and family members are still fully functional yet incidentally the only minor issue I have ever has was a touch volume dial on an AVP, the AV7005. I have also installed an older SR7009 that many would say run hot without external cooling, that's been running quite a few years too and is also 100% trouble free.

That being said, I do think for AVR users, it is a good idea to use at least one 10 mm fan to provide additional cooling if their units just for extra safety/reliability margin.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Every time people say separates, I would think about separate power supply, preamp and power amp that's in a conventional, traditional, old fashion sense. I understand why people call a so called AVP, or AVC a "separate" component but then people need to understand that if an AVR is not "separate", neither is an AVP that is really just an AVR minus the power amp. So if integrated amp = preamp + power amp ≠ "separate component", then an AVP = AV processor + Preamp ≠ "separate" either :p. Also, it is easy for anyone to understand AVPs are very complicated device with numerous parts, compare to preamps and power amps, with many hardware that can fail, and software/firmware that can be buggy. Anyway, this is just for argument sake so please feel free to debate but do not attach.:p

Arguments aside, imo it is sort of a new myth that nice guys such as TLSG has been pushing, that AVRs are bad because... and AVPs are the way to good because....reliability blablabla. The fact is, for normal use, the part that would fail most often first in an AVR are the AVP part, not the internal amps. All of my previously own AVR including the entry level and primitive RX-V659, AVR-3805, AVR-4308, AVR1912 that I have given to friends and family members are still fully functional yet incidentally the only minor issue I have ever has was a touch volume dial on an AVP, the AV7005. I have also installed an older SR7009 that many would say run hot without external cooling, that's been running quite a few years too and is also 100% trouble free.

That being said, I do think for AVR users, it is a good idea to use at least one 10 mm fan to provide additional cooling if their units just for extra safety/reliability margin.
Nice post PENG, make sense to me.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Dan, just get an AVR and don’t even worry about buying any amps. You don’t need them.

Your main bad-a$$ HT room already has the separates - AVP + Amps.

The 2nd room just needs the AVR. No need for amps. :D

Just like my living room only has the RX-A3080 to power the SV-831‘s. Don’t need any amps to power the speakers. The SV-1212N‘s are powered by the sub-amp.
Andrew!, You being a dealer and all, you should have the new flagship Advantage,or Denon anyways just on principle. That way anyone wanting flagship Denon, Yamaha you'd be a good source of info on them, cause you'd have first hand use of knowledge from using them. Than when the new model comes out the following year you could recoup your money by selling one of them to Meee! ;) At dealer cost of course. :D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you for providing me with an early shield already. :)
Well your pretty much spot on PENG. True separates would be in my opinion like you stated. Pre-Amp, than a processor only then the amps, right?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Andrew!, You being a dealer and all, you should have the new flagship Advantage,or Denon anyways just on principle. That way anyone wanting flagship Denon, Yamaha you'd be a good source of info on them, cause you'd have first hand use of knowledge from using them. Than when the new model comes out the following year you could recoup your money by selling one of them to Meee! ;) At dealer cost of course. :D
Haha. I know you want my RX-A3080 and ATI amp! You sneaky dawg. :D

When I was younger, I did that for sure - spent money on audio/video every year. And I think a lot of that was about showing off and bragging rights. Feeding the specs/numbers. Maybe somehow I felt like I had something to prove. Some peer pressure. :D

But ironically, now that I am older and have a lot more money, I don’t feel like buying as much as I did when I was younger. It’s no longer about doing things just because I could do it. It’s not about doing things that other guys think is good or better. I could spend even more now. But it’s not about that anymore.

One thing will never change - I do things (like buying new toys) to make me feel good. I guess spending money just because I could doesn’t make me feel good anymore. :D

These days it’s about finding more awesome-looking 4K movies to watch on my new Epson laser PJ and just enjoying my HT room. It is NOT about chasing spec-numbers on audio/video equipment.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well your pretty much spot on PENG. True separates would be in my opinion like you stated. Pre-Amp, than a processor only then the amps, right?
I would think so. If one wants to do a one stop shopping, Yamaha has the C-5000 preamp for only $10,000. That's just 2 channel though and I have no idea who makes a processor only device. Minidsp comes close but not quite. I also don't know who makes multi-channel (I mean at least 6 for 5.1) preamps. There are some on the pro side but I think those likely include the DSP stuffs for mixing etc.

C-5000 - Overview - Hi-Fi Components - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha - United States Yamaha needs to come up with something more pure than the jammed pack CX-A5X00s.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Separates = Pure Analog Preamps + Pure Analog Amp for 8-Channel Surround Sound. No tone controls. No digital EQ or DSP. :D

For Atmos and other Surround decoding, just let your high-end UHD Player decode and output analog sound to your pure analog separates.

sollyemmy

sollyemmy

Enthusiast
I ordered on Dec 16th and it says "Packaging your item" Arriving tomorrow, Friday, 01/07/2022. It will surely be a surprise if it arrives without any tracking or shipping information/ confirmation email. It will be interesting to see. I will update in a couple of days.

EDIT: Status is "We'll let you know when it ships." and "Get it Tomorrow" - I am not even sure if that makes sense for me to receive it tomorrow if it hasn't shipped yet.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
And we just got an update: "We're working on shipping this item. It's unlikely, but if your item isn't available by Fri, January 21, we'll issue a refund. "

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Separates = Pure Analog Preamps + Pure Analog Amp for 8-Channel Surround Sound. No tone controls. No digital EQ or DSP. :D

For Atmos and other Surround decoding, just let your high-end UHD Player decode and output analog sound to your pure analog separates.

Takes up a Lot of room!

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic

When I was younger, I did that for sure - spent money on audio/video every year. And I think a lot of that was about showing off and bragging rights. Feeding the specs/numbers. Maybe somehow I felt like I had something to prove. Some peer pressure. :D

But ironically, now that I am older and have a lot more money, I don’t feel like buying as much as I did when I was younger. It’s no longer about doing things just because I could do it. It’s not about doing things that other guys think is good or better. I could spend even more now. But it’s not about that anymore.

One thing will never change - I do things (like buying new toys) to make me feel good. I guess spending money just because I could doesn’t make me feel good anymore. :D

These days it’s about finding more awesome-looking 4K movies to watch on my new Epson laser PJ and just enjoying my HT room. It is NOT about chasing spec-numbers on audio/video equipment.
Well said. Since I retired a few years ago I’ve gone on an upgrading journey to reach endgame for me. Now there what I miss the most is the forced learning that accompanies purchase decisions and then setup and use. So, like you, I’m into watching and listening. Now reveling in what I’m watching and hearing without concern of what could be better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

What would make me happy is if you gave into peer pressure bought more stuff and then sold it off to the rest of US! Like you did when you used to own 15 different types of speakers! :D

No I'm just kidding Im so happy for your new growth and maturity and will always be supportive and encouraging......

Really I mean that..... :rolleyes:

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
What would make me happy is if you gave into peer pressure bought more stuff and then sold it off to the rest of US! Like you did when you used to own 15 different types of speakers! :D

No I'm just kidding Im so happy for your new growth and maturity and will always be supportive and encouraging......

Yeah he got a Lot of nice toys huh.:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Being a dealer for Bryston, Storm Audio, ATI, DataSat, I do have dreams OCCASIONALLY about those brands. But I wake up quickly when I see the prices. :D

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Hello nice AH community ! Since two days I have the feeling my sound isn’t as good as it was and after the 90th recalibration I realized that my AVR is only outputting 60-65dB when on -22/-18dB which was previously was outputting 80-85dB. I have no idea what happened. Sound feel flat and not impressive. Like a 100$ Bose speaker. I can’t get what’s wrong

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
sound isn’t as good as it was and after the 90th recalibration I realized that my AVR is only outputting 60-65dB when on -22/-18dB which was previously was outputting 80-85dB. I have no idea what happened.
- Change to a different source in case something got screwed up with your current source and see if issue persists. Disconnect multiple sources if connected and try one at a time. Try a source other than hdmi (NAS, optical, etc)
- Change any settings on your source output? (fixed/variable, etc)
- Check speaker wire connectors at receiver end and speaker end (nothing loose? did you any short anything recently with stray wires touching other binding posts? ...etc)
- Sound coming out of all speakers, especially LCR?
- Max volume restrictor (Settings/Sound/Max volume) not set to something very low?
- Mess with any input trim settings (options/input trim)?
- FACTORY RESET

P

PacketofCrisps

Audioholic Intern
I have a minor quibble, considering the cost of these things my volume knob is quite scratchy and wobberly while adjusting it, I like a good quality volume knob, makes a component feel a little bit more premium.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
…after the 90th recalibration I realized that my AVR is only outputting 60-65dB when on -22/-18dB which was previously was outputting 80-85dB. I have no idea what happened.
Another reason I hate auto-EQ. I don’t trust it. :D

Check the Speaker Levels setting. If Auto-EQ somehow set all the speakers and subs to -6dB or something, it would do it.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
- Change to a different source in case something got screwed up with your current source and see if issue persists. Disconnect multiple sources if connected and try one at a time. Try a source other than hdmi (NAS, optical, etc)
- Change any settings on your source output? (fixed/variable, etc)
- Check speaker wire connectors at receiver end and speaker end (nothing loose? did you any short anything recently with stray wires touching other binding posts? ...etc)
- Sound coming out of all speakers, especially LCR?
- Max volume restrictor (Settings/Sound/Max volume) not set to something very low?
- Mess with any input trim settings (options/input trim)?
- FACTORY RESET
I did the factory reset. Problem solved. I played with so many things :)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I have a minor quibble, considering the cost of these things my volume knob is quite scratchy and wobberly while adjusting it, I like a good quality volume knob, makes a component feel a little bit more premium.
The volume knob on my A4A, is smooth, doesn't wobble. It's actually kind of tight when I turn it, very rarely mess with it though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis