Dune (2020) from Villeneuve

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
We liked the film overall, monochromaticness and difficult dialog at points and the casting/genderization was fairly normal for these days. We did not like the Imax's theater's sound, as it was a bit too loud and/or they were pushing their system beyond its limits a bit....and are you supposed to see two layers not quite converging in the corners and sides of the screen? Center of screen was okay but did seem a bit out of focus. Theater was only maybe 20% capacity, and it's a small Imax. In my home pre-screening it was nice to have subtitles, tho.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
We liked the film overall, monochromaticness and difficult dialog at points and the casting/genderization was fairly normal for these days. We did not like the Imax's theater's sound, as it was a bit too loud and/or they were pushing their system beyond its limits a bit....and are you supposed to see two layers not quite converging in the corners and sides of the screen? Center of screen was okay but did seem a bit out of focus. Theater was only maybe 20% capacity, and it's a small Imax. In my home pre-screening it was nice to have subtitles, tho.
Yeah, Welcome to FakeMax or IMAX Digital :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My sister hadn't been in an Imax that was this small before (in a mall style complex of 16 screens I think it was), had only been to a coupla big Imax theaters and wondered wtf happened to Imax :). Still, probably better than your usual multi-theater complex fare.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That was my experience at the one and only time I ever went to an Imax. Dark Knight Rises was what I saw. I had just gotten my home PJ set up and wasn't impressed with the IMAX at all.

However, they do have a real one in the mall in San Antonio and I'd like to see something on that screen at some point. They also have a Dolby theater in Austin that has an 8k laser setup with Atmos. It's supposed to be excellent.

I just really don't want to drive, nor do I really like going to the theater anymore. Oh well.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
My sister hadn't been in an Imax that was this small before (in a mall style complex of 16 screens I think it was), had only been to a coupla big Imax theaters and wondered wtf happened to Imax :). Still, probably better than your usual multi-theater complex fare.
Our only REAL IMAX theater (that was just down the road from me) closed in Jan. 2019. I loved seeing movies there. Service sucked bad, but really enjoyed watching everything on the IMAX screen. Towards the end before they closed down, we would hit up Sunday 1pm showings and for a theater that could hold around 500 people, maybe 50 total showed up. One time the IMAX projector just stopped working but the sound kept playing. We had like 30 mins left of the movie so they told us we could either stay for the next showing or get a refund for a different movie. Other issues were temp control. Either it was way too cold or way too hot. Nobody there knew how to run a thermostat. Hahaha. I was part of what they called the "Directors club" membership, so my tickets were only $12.50 instead of the normal $17 per adult. Then once you saw like ten movies, you'd get a free adult ticket. It was only $25/year. Haha why not? Now, we just have the normal theater "IMAX" which is nothing compared to the real IMAX.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That was my experience at the one and only time I ever went to an Imax. Dark Knight Rises was what I saw. I had just gotten my home PJ set up and wasn't impressed with the IMAX at all.

However, they do have a real one in the mall in San Antonio and I'd like to see something on that screen at some point. They also have a Dolby theater in Austin that has an 8k laser setup with Atmos. It's supposed to be excellent.

I just really don't want to drive, nor do I really like going to the theater anymore. Oh well.
I've been to the one in the mall 2 see the Dark Night Rises it's cool but honestly I prefer my home setup you literally have to walk all over the place in that dang mall just to get there traffic downtown and parking garages and all that crowded mall people in the theater noise yeah I'm starting to remember why I don't go to theaters anymore Lol

marticus

marticus

Audioholic
My last imax experience was similarly dissapointing, but a new cinema has opened near me last year touting Christie 4k and atmos, so my hope was to watch this there.

Alas there are no hopes for a babysitter, so it looks like I'm going to be streaming this tonight.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
LieMax.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

Nothing compares to real IMAX with an 8K Laser projection and immersive sound.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
LIEMAX, CRYMAX, TAMPAX, WHATEVER! Back to "Dune". I imagine it still stunk on the best screens.:D

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I have to correct myself, it's actually dual 4K is what you're getting.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
LIEMAX, CRYMAX, TAMPAX, WHATEVER! Back to "Dune". I imagine it still stunk on the best screens.:D
I was going to watch it on my 4K HDR OLED screen via HBO Max, did the movie stink?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
AMC. However, some of their IMAX rooms are fake IMAX.
I found the article on IMAX about the partnership with AMC but they are 4k projectors. Nothing out there now is true 8k. No high end projector maker makes a true 8k. Not even the $400k+ Christie Eclipse is 8k. And that is considered the best projector on the market.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I found the article on IMAX about the partnership with AMC but they are 4k projectors. Nothing out there now is true 8k. No high end projector maker makes a true 8k. Not even the $400k+ Christie Eclipse is 8k. And that is considered the best projector on the market.
That's true, it's actually dual 4K, just like the Dolby Cinemas.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I was going to watch it on my 4K HDR OLED screen via HBO Max, did the movie stink?
I wasn't a fan, but that's just me. If you like drap, miscast movies that run at a snail's pace and have no ending then this one will be right up your alley. To be fair, there are a few great shots that I'm sure will look good on your TV.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I wasn't a fan, but that's just me. If you like drap, miscast movies that run at a snail's pace and have no ending then this one will be right up your alley. To be fair, there are a few great shots that I'm sure will look good on your TV.
I really don't like movies like how you are describing this one.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, may I suggest rewatching Avatar? Other world devils come to take a valuable resource from the indigenous but have their plans thwarted by an individual who just wants to do the right thing. Cheesy dialogue but lots to look at and well paced. I'm waiting for a mash up on Youtube of such movies. Maybe, "Avatar Dances with Wolves on a Dune?";)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis