How does this look to you guys.. And Hello from Australia..

F

FNQGuy

Audiophyte
My DIY Speaker..response plot... 1/6 Smoothed at the Listening position..
14-oct.jpg

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
looks good. I would shrink the scale by about 10 or 20dB though. The problem is a lot of what you are measuring is the room and not the speaker.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So share some details about your diy speakers....and room.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
looks good. I would shrink the scale by about 10 or 20dB though. The problem is a lot of what you are measuring is the room and not the speaker.
It is good, +/-2.5db above the modal lumpiness. That high end response above 4khz looks suspiciously diffraction related, maybe from placement, horn loaded tweets, or sumthin. Curious if that's a measurement artifact or inherent to the speaker. Even so, probably not much of an audible tell in any case.

Isn't 12db smoothing pretty standard resolution for reflecting the sort of aberrations that are audible? Too much makeup can make any speaker's measurements look good, and too little can make a decent speaker look worse than it sounds.

Yeah, @FNQGuy share some more deets!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Why it looks like a frequency response chart!

How 'bout some pics and more details!

F

FNQGuy

Audiophyte
Thanks guys , room placement has been a bit a nightmare, Its likely that the lumpy top end is the result of too many drivers all doing the same thing, for example I did one sweep with the umik that was much smoother above 4k whilst moving the drivers around. And though yeah, "nailed it" only to realise I had left the mic on the pool table. so the best spot for listening is 6 inches above the left side pocket. Its a little awkward to listen from there..:)

Right Channel & Sub

Attachments

marticus

marticus

Audioholic
Thanks guys , room placement has been a bit a nightmare, Its likely that the lumpy top end is the result of too many drivers all doing the same thing, for example I did one sweep with the umik that was much smoother above 4k whilst moving the drivers around. And though yeah, "nailed it" only to realise I had left the mic on the pool table. so the best spot for listening is 6 inches above the left side pocket. Its a little awkward to listen from there..:)

Right Channel & Sub
Goodness, those look awesome!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I remember seeing those before, but don't think it was here on AH?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those look kinda like those Wilson Audio speakers. How big are the drivers in that sub unit? They look pretty big! I'll bet that's quite a capable system.

F

FNQGuy

Audiophyte
Those look kinda like those Wilson Audio speakers. How big are the drivers in that sub unit? They look pretty big! I'll bet that's quite a capable system.
Yes they are inspired by the Alexx, however 85 to 90% of the size and volume. The sub Drivers are 13". the bass drivers are 12" then there are 8s, 6.5s, 5s, and 1" dome. cabinets well over 100kg each.. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have been a lurker here for a while, seems only reasonable I share..
I just know I've seen your diy speakers elsewhere, just don't remember where? Link up any previous build threads etc would be nice!

F

FNQGuy

Audiophyte
I just know I've seen your diy speakers elsewhere, just don't remember where? Link up any previous build threads etc would be nice!
Yes you would have seen them elsewhere most likely, I have shared the build on a couple of other forums. however I think linking to other forums might be frowned upon by Administration. So. If there is anything you would specifically like to know I am happy to post here...:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes you would have seen them elsewhere most likely, I have shared the build on a couple of other forums. however I think linking to other forums might be frowned upon by Administration. So. If there is anything you would specifically like to know I am happy to post here...:)
We post links to other fora all the time around here....if you want to be discrete you can "hide" it with a hyperlink. We're interested in all the details of your build, with pics if available! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis