SVS big price increases!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’d ask HD about the 520c I think he has one I’ve not herd good things about it in reviews . Now jbl’s compression driver technology is the best so this might work for you . They need a solid 3 way for this lineup in my opinion. I’d look at the HDI center it’s built right and is definitely more dollars.
I have one but not using it with the rest of the studio 5 series at the moment, replaced it with a 3-way Infinity RC263 I got on sale for $150, moved the 520C into a mish mash system in a spare bedroom (where it works just fine). I may swap them back to see what stands out as a difference, but just thought at higher volumes the RC263 was a bit better/cleaner. I'd still rather have something from JBL that matched the 590s better, tho....too bad they never made one (but will look at the HDI center now that you mention it).

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I have one but not using it with the rest of the studio 5 series at the moment, replaced it with a 3-way Infinity RC263 I got on sale for $150, moved the 520C into a mish mash system in a spare bedroom (where it works just fine). I may swap them back to see what stands out as a difference, but just thought at higher volumes the RC263 was a bit better/cleaner. I'd still rather have something from JBL that matched the 590s better, tho....too bad they never made one (but will look at the HDI center now that you mention it).
Thanks, I think I'm gonna try the 520C. It can't be that bad and might match the 570 better.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, I think I'm gonna try the 520C. It can't be that bad and might match the 570 better.

Its not a bad start and I think was going for $100 in a recent sale. I just was looking at the HDI 4500 center, for $1750 I'd hope it used 8" instead of 5.25" drivers....but it doesn't.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Its not a bad start and I think was going for $100 in a recent sale. I just was looking at the HDI 4500 center, for $1750 I'd hope it used 8" instead of 5.25" drivers....but it doesn't.
For $ 1750 you’d think they would have a decent 3 way but that compression driver tech they’ve handed down from the synthesis lines is pretty amazing to hear the 5.25 drivers are set up in some weird configuration to where two of them cover a different crossover point before being handed down to the other two .
The one I have now uses two 8 inch and two compression drivers it does sound very good .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For $ 1750 you’d think they would have a decent 3 way but that compression driver tech they’ve handed down from the synthesis lines is pretty amazing to hear the 5.25 drivers are set up in some weird configuration to where two of them cover a different crossover point before being handed down to the other two .
The one I have now uses two 8 inch and two compression drivers it does sound very good .
Well, it is a 2.5 way design like the 590s....which one do you have?

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Well, it is a 2.5 way design like the 590s....which one do you have?
I’ve got the synthesis 880 Array . I was doing some reading on the 2.5 way design it is a interesting concept and I’d like to here the 590’s in my room .

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah those HDI speakers are WAY out of my price range. They look amazing but too much for me. I would surely be looking for a new place to live. Nah but seriously I used to but very expensive speakers, no more. I find the best deals I can now, like this JBL sale. About 12/13 years ago the company I worked for went under. I got into very, very bad credit card debt, very, very bad. It took me 10 years to fix that. I'm super, super weary of using my CC for very big purchases. I'm CC debt free except for little stuff I buy here and there on Amazon, and like today with the JBL sale. Nothing I can't handle, I won't even do it again, as in ever. I learned my lesson.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah those HDI speakers are WAY out of my price range. They look amazing but too much for me. I would surely be looking for a new place to live. Nah but seriously I used to but very expensive speakers, no more. I find the best deals I can now, like this JBL sale. About 12/13 years ago the company I worked for went under. I got into very, very bad credit card debt, very, very bad. It took me 10 years to fix that. I'm super, super weary of using my CC for very big purchases. I'm CC debt free except for little stuff I buy here and there on Amazon, and like today with the JBL sale. Nothing I can't handle, I won't even do it again, as in ever. I learned my lesson.

I thought you’d pass on the HDI series center. I have been considering the HDI series to replace my current LCR. I don’t know off hand what the 520 costs, so it may get be the way to go. But I’ve heard that the Studio 5 series sounds very much like my Studio II’s. If that’s true, you can use an S center from that line, and you can find them for almost nothing. Imo they’re fantastic speakers, also designed by Greg Timbers, who’s last design was the 5’s before JBL let him go. Bad choice imo. If you don’t mind paying for a new 520, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, as I don’t think you push you system that hard.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I thought you’d pass on the HDI series center. I have been considering the HDI series to replace my current LCR. I don’t know off hand what the 520 costs, so it may get be the way to go. But I’ve heard that the Studio 5 series sounds very much like my Studio II’s. If that’s true, you can use an S center from that line, and you can find them for almost nothing. Imo they’re fantastic speakers, also designed by Greg Timbers, who’s last design was the 5’s before JBL let him go. Bad choice imo. If you don’t mind paying for a new 520, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, as I don’t think you push you system that hard.
I agree the S-center is a great choice I still use 2 of them in my garage setup . There’s tons of them on eBay for next to nothing 100 bucks or so and I’d bet better that the new 520c . That’s a choice I’d forgotten about . Both of these are on eBay right now for $ 90.00 plus shipping

Attachments

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I agree the S-center is a great choice I still use 2 of them in my garage setup . There’s tons of them on eBay for next to nothing 100 bucks or so and I’d bet better that the new 520c . That’s a choice I’d forgotten about . Both of these are on eBay right now for $ 90.00 plus shipping
Oh wow, these are all used right? You ok buying an older used speaker from eBay?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Those are good finds mark!

So, speaking to the original post. I can’t believe this won’t hurt them. I don’t pay their bills so I have no idea if these increases equal out to be what they’re losing in extra costs of shipping and construction etc. But the same price increase on a PC4k and a PB4k seems TOTALLY RIDICULOUS!!!!! Maybe this is because they sell more PB’s so the margin is less on the PC. I don’t really know, but I think its obscene. I’d rather see them offer 50% off return shipping, or no free return shipping or something. Just seems like a bigger gouge to some customers to pay for all customers bill of rights and keep the sham going.
To be clear, I own SVS as well. But have long written them off of my upgrade path. Although I do like the pc4000.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh wow, these are all used right? You ok buying an older used speaker from eBay?

I think if you look very closely, and pay close attention to the description you can weed out bad deals. If your unsure, ask the seller for more pics, or even a video of the speaker working. Although that might not work via the eBay portal. Also, Craigslist might help find something local that might be easier in case you don’t like the speaker. So, imo the used market can be really excellent. Just be smart and patient, and you can find some great stuff.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The only thing that I’ve ever questioned about my s center is total output. I don’t think I’ve ever heard it “cry”. So it’s probably in my head that it would be deficient in that way. Otherwise it sounds clean and crisp, with same titanium tweeter(french sourced can’t remember where) that the rest of the line uses. I know they “can” break up a little when pushed very hard, but I’ve listened to Rush r-30 at MV 0 and mine stayed clean and clear. Far as I could tell lol. They’re not be all end all speakers, but for the cost it would take, I haven’t been compelled to upgrade. And I kinda miss my s-38ii’s lol.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

Yes I bought the L-C 2 from a guy in Florida for 125.00 after contacting him he was older and didn’t know how to hook it up it was a year old and was in mint condition and new was over 600.00 at the time .
One needs to look carefully at the pictures for bad drivers banged up cabs I have a couple of these s-2 series in my garage now . They throw a wide center soundstage . I myself prefer the curved centers jbl made then they seem to spread the sound out and they take a lot of power .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
The only thing that I’ve ever questioned about my s center is total output. I don’t think I’ve ever heard it “cry”. So it’s probably in my head that it would be deficient in that way. Otherwise it sounds clean and crisp, with same titanium tweeter(french sourced can’t remember where) that the rest of the line uses. I know they “can” break up a little when pushed very hard, but I’ve listened to Rush r-30 at MV 0 and mine stayed clean and clear. Far as I could tell lol. They’re not be all end all speakers, but for the cost it would take, I haven’t been compelled to upgrade. And I kinda miss my s-38ii’s lol.
No there not end game speakers but like you I’ve never herd them strain ever at the time I run a 250 watt carver amp threw them .
But after having them in use in my main rig back then Iam always at a loss as to why guys don’t pick these up I guess they have been out of the public eye for a while . Same with the s-38’s 1 and 2 very underrated and can be had for a great price too . I still use a pair for the front presence in the front of my room.
Yes the tweeters were sourced from France I believe as mabey the mids too . Jbl used to get a lot of drivers from Europe.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
No there not end game speakers but like you I’ve never herd them strain ever at the time I run a 250 watt carver amp threw them .
But after having them in use in my main rig back then Iam always at a loss as to why guys don’t pick these up I guess they have been out of the public eye for a while . Same with the s-38’s 1 and 2 very underrated and can be had for a great price too . I still use a pair for the front presence in the front of my room.
Yes the tweeters were sourced from France I believe as mabey the mids too . Jbl used to get a lot of drivers from Europe.
My experience as well, as I use a yamaha P2500s on my s312’s. I’ve been very happy with that arrangement. I am looking replace them all with the HDI series one day.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Those are good finds mark!

So, speaking to the original post. I can’t believe this won’t hurt them. I don’t pay their bills so I have no idea if these increases equal out to be what they’re losing in extra costs of shipping and construction etc. But the same price increase on a PC4k and a PB4k seems TOTALLY RIDICULOUS!!!!! Maybe this is because they sell more PB’s so the margin is less on the PC. I don’t really know, but I think its obscene. I’d rather see them offer 50% off return shipping, or no free return shipping or something. Just seems like a bigger gouge to some customers to pay for all customers bill of rights and keep the sham going.
To be clear, I own SVS as well. But have long written them off of my upgrade path. Although I do like the pc4000.
Yes Iam afraid we’ll see this in many manufacturers in audio gear . I was wanting to add a couple more in the spring myself I will wait and see what’s happens .

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Both of these are excellent buys aswell the studio center and the LC-2 I can recommend both with out any hesitation .
I always like the copper on the original Studio’s.
How do you like the super tweeter?

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
My experience as well, as I use a yamaha P2500s on my s312’s. I’ve been very happy with that arrangement. I am looking replace them all with the HDI series one day.
Same here don’t get me wrong I still am quite happy with my hp-520’s they were an end game line for me and they still sound fantastic. But I’d like to try the compression drivers in a floor stander to go with the synthesis center I got . The big HDI uses the same compression driver tech and Iam amazed at the clarity that thing puts out .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis