Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I like the looks of that center. Did you notice a discernable difference? I forget what you had before you got the center.
I think I did notice, tho it wasn't a slap in the face. I was using a Sierra 2 book and it worked really well, but the Horizon is such a perfect timbre match. It's difficult to tell the difference between phantom and the center when sitting on axis. Flipping back and forth is almost identical, with the center sounding just a little more anchored and snapped into the middle when on. It really is just about like having a third tower for cc duty.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hell yeah! That happens, I WILL be coming to your party!!!
I wouldn't even think about not inviting you!

I'm not even kidding. If I can get Danny to play for my b day you'll be getting a pm with the date, location and time from me.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks man! It does put a smile on my face. That sub transforned movie watching and music with lots of deep bass. I've probably watched Kong vs Godzilla a dozen times now, not because it's such an awesome movie, but because that movie has lots of room shaking bass! Even in the beginning when Kong's just chillin' out and kinda grunting softly it shakes my chair.

I got it under control tho. The difference is pretty subtle until I get below about 40 hz or so. I was really concerned about localization. When it's pounding pretty good I swear I can tell it's back there, but I tested it on neighbor Bob and my son. I had them sit beside me and played some stuff with good bass and neither one of them knew there was a third sub back there til I pointed it out. It's completely hidden from view until you walk behind the couch, so I think it's mostly in my head.
What do you have the RBH xover set to compared to your front subs?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What do you have the RBH xover set to compared to your front subs?
80 hz for everything, tho I did toy with the idea of using a lower crossover for the RBH, but for simplicity's sake I changed my mind. I don't think I have any localization issues based on my informal tests with neighbor Bob and then my son a few days apart. Both were surprised when I pointed out the third sub right behind them. They had no clue it was there.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I did that crazy thing of running the speakers full range, flat in room to below 30 Hz, then I have the subs crossed at 65 Hz... interesingly enough it works clearly better than having hipass on the main speakers.

I think that comes from using a Trinnov pre where phase and time is 100% aligned so that mains and subs are all in time & phase, all the way... If it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't :D
I really think those Trinnov's are pure magic!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think that's the first photo I've seen with you Center in place. Lookin' good, buddy! :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I did that crazy thing of running the speakers full range, flat in room to below 30 Hz, then I have the subs crossed at 65 Hz... interesingly enough it works clearly better than having hipass on the main speakers.

I think that comes from using a Trinnov pre where phase and time is 100% aligned so that mains and subs are all in time & phase, all the way... If it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't :D
I recently found that can work very well if you have the speakers for it and they play well with your room. I'm able to get it sounding very good in here now running my speakers full range with a low pass of ~60 hz on my subs. What's not intuitive is I could never get the larger Ultra towers to sound right full range. I dunno if it was the side firing bass drivers causing phase issues or what, but the Sierras have a smoother in room bass response, if not quite as deep. The Ultra towers could legit rattle the walls and pressurize the room tho.

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I recently found that can work very well if you have the speakers for it and they play well with your room. I'm able to get it sounding very good in here now running my speakers full range with a low pass of ~50 hz on my subs. What's not intuitive is I could never get the larger Ultra towers to sound right full range. I dunno if it was the side firing bass drivers causing phase issues or what, but the Sierras have a smoother in room bass response, if not quite as deep. The Ultra towers could legit rattle the walls.
If you have phase issues there, I believe it´s never going to work .....
My speakers have 4 side firing 6" active woofers, works like magic here :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
He's too busy listening to them and finding good speaker deals.

He forgets we care, and that hurts.... :p
I ordered some 2" thick isolation pads that should be here by this afternoon. I'm gonna put them under the center to raise it up a little to bring the tweet right in line with the towers. Right now it's tipped up a little and works just fine as far as dialogue audibility and everything. Lifting it up a little is more an ocd thing, lol.

THEN, I'm gonna take the tv down and readjust the brackets so I can lower the monitor and hopefully hide those wires. I got behind there this morning and it looks like I have several inches of wiggle room for lowering it. It's kinda heavy and unwieldy tho so ima need some help. I don't think the wifey can handle it and it'd really, really suck if we dropped it... :oops:

I'll take some more pics when I get that done tho and start a new thread for the Sierras.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you have phase issues there, I believe it´s never going to work .....
My speakers have 4 side firing 6" active woofers, works like magic here :p
Yeah, phase issues was only a guess. It could be that I learned more and got pretty good with the MultEQ app and using ratbuddyssey too, by the time I got the Sierras. In fact now that I think about it, I wasn't using the app editor at all with the Ultra towers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I know they aren't cheap, that's for sure! It sounds like you have a very competent setup yourself. Do you have a thread with some pics somewhere on the forums?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I know they aren't cheap, that's for sure! It sounds like you have a very competent setup yourself. Do you have a thread with some pics somewhere on the forums?
Yeah... Trinnov cost an arm and a leg and some more, but what it does..... from everyone around here, people are incredibly happy with them. I think they do something other DSP solutions simply doesn´t do....
Say you can tell the Trinnov ... don´t touch my speakers above 250Hz... you can stop it from overcompensating and tell exactly what it needs to do..... those guys spent 20+ years optimizing the software....
This kind of development does not come for free, so there is a price to pay for this....
You adjust target curves, press a button, wait one second and voila
There is a 3D microphone so it understand positions of all speakers in 3 dimensions, compensates for time and phase at the same time... everything to perfection in time and phase
Subwoofer integration is insane....

I am very busy now, I made a thread ages ago but will do a new one, promise !

Gene said: Most people don´t need Trinnov
I strongly disagree, anyone who can cash the money for it should.... once you had a Trinnov at home your life is not the same anymore, it´s that good!
I look at the Trinnov as the best investment I ever did... turn on and off optimizer and you must be deaf and blind if you don´t hear and understand the magic happening.... it´s simply stunning.... and very clear to hear
if there was DBT testing, 100% of people would get 100% hit rate, always guaranteed

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis