M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
There's legal battle in South Carolina over an anti-mask law there that prohibits use of state funds to enforce mask mandates. The state seems to be taking the position (in so many words) that any institution that receives one dollar of state funding cannot enforce a mask requirement because the state funding dollar becomes intermingled with funds from other sources and there is therefore no way to enforce a mask mandate without using state funds. This has a "tail wagging the dog" feel to it, but it's anyone's guess how the SC Supreme Court will rule.

I have not read the court filings, but the primary issue seems to be whether or not the wording of the law encompasses the university mask requirement. In other words, the court could rule that law doesn't prohibit the university from enforcing a mask mandate without striking down the law.

>>>A South Carolina state senator and a University of South Carolina professor have asked the state’s Supreme Court to weigh in on an ongoing dispute about masks on campus. . . . The court filings follow a back-and-forth that began earlier this week when Wilson sent a letter to USC urging it to revoke its planned rule to mandate masks inside campus buildings. After receiving Wilson’s letter earlier in the week, USC changes its planned policy, which had been implemented by the university’s interim president, Harris Pastides, who has a doctorate in the study of infectious diseases and is a public health expert.

On announcing the reversal, Pastides released a statement that referred to his public health background. “During my training in epidemiology, there was a maxim about transmissible diseases like COVID-19 that stated, ‘No one can be safe until everyone is safe,’” Pastides said in the statement, explaining his rationale for initially requiring masks. “Because vaccination cannot be required in South Carolina, I felt that face coverings would go a long way in preventing the spread of the Delta variant of COVID-19, which is highly contagious, on campus. I did not think that the law precluded this action.”<<<

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I definitely think it
I've zero empathy and I want them to get great care that they have to pay 100% out of pocket for. I DO NOT WANT TO PAY FOR STUPID PEOPLE.
Eh I agree with you but I'll say it again I could have empathy for people afraid to lose they're businesses due to lockdowns before vaccines rolled out I have zero empathy for anyone that won't get vaccinated. Especially with the data showing how effective it is at keeping you from serious illness or getting you put in the hospital

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
This is interesting. I read a lot of news reports about people who say they are not getting the vaccine because they already recovered and therefore already have natural immunity. Why gamble with your life?

>>>Even people who have recovered from COVID-19 are urged to get vaccinated, especially as the extra-contagious delta variant surges — and a new study shows survivors who ignored that advice were more than twice as likely to get reinfected.<<<

It seems to me people can be fooled into thinking they're okay because they had a mild case and recovered from the first infection without difficulty.

>>>After surviving a mild covid-19 case last year, Campbell said he thought he had the antibodies to ward off future infection. Now, he worries the decision to delay the shot will cost him his life, as he fights pneumonia and a partially collapsed lung.<<<

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
"It's the will of God and I can do nothing about it!"

The above is a paraphrase that pretty much describe a former neighbour that (a young woman with a child) refuses to vaccinate while still working with children. I've had this discussion with her at a number of occasions and it's nothing political about it. Just religion, the curse of mankind.
White evangelical Christianity is political.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
This is interesting. I read a lot of news reports about people who say they are not getting the vaccine because they already recovered and therefore already have natural immunity. Why gamble with your life?
Yeah, I mean I’ve only had the common cold once in my entire life!

Then I was immune forever!

…oh hell, that didn’t happen, did it?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Oh yeah, I was making very broad brush statements.

A friend told me about a guy he knows who is in has late 50s, and suffers from extreme pain due to chronic illness, and he also has significant mental health issues. He is apparently suicidal, and also extremely difficult to deal with. He cannot drive due to his physical issues, but even his friends and family tire of bringing him food. I believe he is probably unvaccinated and "uninsured under 65." I don't know him personally, but he's an example of someone that doesn't really fit the stereotype. I'm sure there are literally millions of different situations.
OK, so his family hasn't considered committing him? If he has significant mental illness, can't he go on disability and use MediCaid?

highfigh

highfigh

The young mother I was talking about is Swedish so definitely not US "White evangelical Christianity".
But if she's a member of the Church of Sweden, she would be Evangelical Christian but somehow, I doubt younger people are flocking to church. Maybe Lutheran Synod would be more similar- it's less strict than the Wisconsin Synod, which I hear is really intolerant of many behaviors, but I know some Lutherans who drink as much as Catholics. I was going to write something about the long Winters here having an affect on the leaders, but we probably don't have worse weather than Sweden, just a worse attitude about it.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
But if she's a member of the Church of Sweden, she would be Evangelical Christian but somehow, I doubt younger people are flocking to church. Maybe Lutheran Synod would be more similar- it's less strict than the Wisconsin Synod, which I hear is really intolerant of many behaviors, but I know some Lutherans who drink as much as Catholics. I was going to write something about the long Winters here having an affect on the leaders, but we probably don't have worse weather than Sweden, just a worse attitude about it.
There are many Christians that are not member of the Swedish Church, but most members of the former State Church are pretty passive in their membership. People are leaving, though, and many (most) of new immigrants does not become member for either religious reasons or otherwise.

As for Christian intolerance in Sweden (and Norway), it's quite real in some communities where everthing is a sin and for sure you'll burn in Hell. Quite oppressive, really, but I don't think they would ever embrace a charlatan like Trump in any way. Quite unlike the US "white Evangelical Christians", which I find disgustingly hypocrite, beneath contempt. I'm an atheist, by the way.

Western Norway (South-West) is called "The Dark Mainland", not without reason.

highfigh

highfigh

There are many Christians that are not member of the Swedish Church, but most members of the former State Church are pretty passive in their membership. People are leaving, though, and many (most) of new immigrants does not become member for either religious reasons or otherwise.

As for Christian intolerance in Sweden (and Norway), it's quite real in some communities where everthing is a sin and for sure you'll burn in Hell. Quite oppressive, really, but I don't think they would ever embrace a charlatan like Trump in any way. Quite unlike the US "white Evangelical Christians", which I find disgustingly hypocrite, beneath contempt. I'm an atheist, by the way.

I always had a problem with the idea of "If you're a good, you'll be rewarded by getting to heaven". Why not just be a good person for the sake of it?

I think the message should be much shorter- "Don't be a d*ck". The problem is that someone always decides that what they do/have done for their own benefit, to gain an advantage on someone else or to screw an entire population doesn't mean they fit that description.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
And that is where is located, I presume, Hell, the little village. That is the only Hell which exists on this planet.

If God does not exist, as most scientists including Stephen Hawking believe, then the HELL which we are taught about in religions does not exist. If God exists, hell still does not exist because God is supposed to be merciful, isn't He? Unfortunately, a kind of hell finally exists for a lot of people on this planet for several reasons.

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
OK, so his family hasn't considered committing him? If he has significant mental illness, can't he go on disability and use MediCaid?
I don’t know him personally and I’ve never talked to his family. I’m not sure if he would qualify for disability or Medicaid

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I don’t know him personally and I’ve never talked to his family. I’m not sure if he would qualify for disability or Medicaid
Also working in the mental health field I can tell you it's not easy at all to get someone committed. You might if you call the cops on him and if he's acting bizarre enough get him in on a 72 hour emergency detention. And he has to be acting pretty out there fir the cops to bring him in and deal with the paperwork. But even if that happens It's a whole nother thing to get him actually committed.
But it should be a very difficult process when you think about it. Your detaining someone against theyre will

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I always had a problem with the idea of "If you're a good, you'll be rewarded by getting to heaven". Why not just be a good person for the sake of it?
Because It's about status and not humility. Again, the irony in religion. Not all of them, but if that's your way to get people to be "good".....

highfigh

highfigh

And that is where is located, I presume, Hell, the little village. That is the only Hell which exists on this planet.

If God does not exist, as most scientists including Stephen Hawking believe, then the HELL which we are taught about in religions does not exist. If God exists, hell still does not exist because God is supposed to be merciful, isn't He? Unfortunately, a kind of hell finally exists for a lot of people on this planet for several reasons.
Carl Sagan made some interesting comments about God and religion in his book 'Contact'.

I have known people who would be considered 'good' by anyone who met them but their lives were hellish. Some were very religious and it would appear that they held onto the belief that "My life here is terrible, but I will be rewarded" as a mechanism to prevent their becoming angry, awful people.

If God is supposed to be merciful, I'd like someone to explain why little kids can become ill with terrible diseases and deformations. That's not 'merciful', to me.

highfigh

highfigh

Because It's about status and not humility. Again, the irony in religion. Not all of them, but if that's your way to get people to be "good".....
I always saw the threat of going to hell as a dichotomy and one of the inconsistencies that caused me to leave the RC church. Well, that and the other stuff that makes some of the popes and other leaders terrible people.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
"I've zero empathy and I want them to get great care that they have to pay 100% out of pocket for. I DO NOT WANT TO PAY FOR STUPID PEOPLE."

You sound like Irv.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis