SVS 1000 Pro Series Subwoofer Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm thinking about getting rid of the PB16 Ultra and going with the Rythmik E22. I've read that the rythmik subs are a little tighter and better sounding. PB16 ultra can sound muddy sometimes. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing sub, but just feel like trying something different.
You are in for a huge loss in deep bass output going from the PB16-Ultra to a E22. I would say that muddiness from the PB16 is much more likely a matter of room acoustics than the sub itself. The E22 might sound a bit more articulate simply for lacking deep bass output. The greater ratio of mid-bass to deep bass that you get, the more "detailed" the sound may appear to be, but it is artificial detail, i.e., not truly a matter of the recording.

If I were you, I would get a measurement mic and install REW to see what is going on. The problem is very likely a matter of room acoustics. You may be in need of a multi-sub system to fully solve the problem, but you need to see what the problem is to start with.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
You are in for a huge loss in deep bass output going from the PB16-Ultra to a E22. I would say that muddiness from the PB16 is much more likely a matter of room acoustics than the sub itself. The E22 might sound a bit more articulate simply for lacking deep bass output. The greater ratio of mid-bass to deep bass that you get, the more "detailed" the sound may appear to be, but it is artificial detail, i.e., not truly a matter of the recording.

If I were you, I would get a measurement mic and install REW to see what is going on. The problem is very likely a matter of room acoustics. You may be in need of a multi-sub system to fully solve the problem, but you need to see what the problem is to start with.
[/QUOTE
maybe I could look at doing 2-PB2000 pros?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
maybe I could look at doing 2-PB2000 pros?
That might work, but again, it isn't a shortcut for measuring your system. Definitely do not trust Audyssey or whatever room correction you might be using. You need to see for yourself what the problems are. Luckily there are a lot of great resources about which can help you do just that.

T

TomS

Enthusiast
Two SB-1000 Pros will have a lot more mid-bas output, but even two won't quite match the deep bass output of the PB12-NSD. Overall it would probably be an upgrade. If you can make the stretch, look at getting two SB-3000s which are a big upgrade over the SB-1000 Pros and a very serous upgrade over the PB12-NSD.
Thanks Shady, great info as usual - The SB3000 is just about the same size and price as the Rythmik F12, but the F12 comes in white which my wife would prefer. Would 2 F12’s be equivalent to 2 SB3000’s? Or is there anything else in white that would work?
Thx again!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks Shady, great info as usual - The SB3000 is just about the same size and price as the Rythmik F12, but the F12 comes in white which my wife would prefer. Would 2 F12’s be equivalent to 2 SB3000’s? Or is there anything else in white that would work?
Thx again!
I wouldn't guess that the F12 subs are quite on the same level as the SB-3000s. My guess is that they are more like the SB-2000s maybe. Another sealed 12" that does come in white is the Starke Sound SW12. I think this sub is potentially very good, and I plan on getting my hands on one over the summer.

T

TomS

Enthusiast
I wouldn't guess that the F12 subs are quite on the same level as the SB-3000s. My guess is that they are more like the SB-2000s maybe. Another sealed 12" that does come in white is the Starke Sound SW12. I think this sub is potentially very good, and I plan on getting my hands on one over the summer.
thx-the Starke SW12 looks very nice and is reasonably priced as well, I look forward to your review!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I ordered an SB 2000 Pro to replace my under-performing Klipsch KW-100. I prioritized good mid-bass response in music over the big rumblies in movies so didn't feel the need to go ported and I needed something relatively small. Room is only 12x15 with the system on the long wall, so cabinet height can also be an issue as I am considering changing from bookshelves on stands to towers with the sub a foot or two in front of the right speaker, so the SB 2000 is just the right size at present.

Couple questions on setup. I have a 10 year old Denon with Audessey. In what order do I run the SVS app and Audessey room correction? Should I reset Audessey to defaults or just rerun it after swapping subs, and do I run the app first and then Audessey or the other way around?

Also considering placing the Klipsch in the opposite corner. Can't afford to get two SVS subs right now but would two mixed subs be better or worse than a single SVS, or is it a matter of trial and error to see how the room behaves?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Couple questions on setup. I have a 10 year old Denon with Audessey. In what order do I run the SVS app and Audessey room correction? Should I reset Audessey to defaults or just rerun it after swapping subs, and do I run the app first and then Audessey or the other way around?

Also considering placing the Klipsch in the opposite corner. Can't afford to get two SVS subs right now but would two mixed subs be better or worse than a single SVS, or is it a matter of trial and error to see how the room behaves?
SVS's app is just a way to control the sub. It doesn't matter when you want to run the app. It won't affect Audyssey calibration, unless you start fooling around with settings after the calibration. Even then, its easy enough to revert to prior settings.

You can try to mix the Klipsch with the SVS to see how well that pans out. If the Klipsch sub is drawing attention to itself in anyway, then remove it from the system.

fandango1966

fandango1966

Audiophyte
Hi guys. I used to own a PC-12NSD and after its amp died, i decided to try a PB-1000 pro and it's awesome! I like it a lot-my listening area is about 2,600 cubic feet and I sit 10 feet away from my TV and Denon AVR-4400...but I confess I like the cylinder type subs that I've decided to get a second sub-this time a PC-2000 pro and I want to run a dual set up-even if these two SVS subs are NOT the same model and even if many experts will tell me that that is a big NO NO...I will do this! My question is would it be better to place the PC2000 pro at the front and the PB-1000 pro in near field next to my couch but not firing into my couch but rather back to the room? or would it be better to keep the PB1000 pro at the front and place the PC2000 pro near field next to my couch? Or I will just simply "go to audio hell" for trying to set up a dual sub system with these two subs? LOL...thanks for your help..

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The reason for having two subs the same is to even the response throughout the room. That doesn't mean that you'll ruin the response by having two different models. Might make it a little more challenging to remove nulls and boomy areas but it's going to depend on the room. That's something you'll have to experiment with. I'm no expert but given the two different designs of those subs I would place the PC-2000 in near field and move the PB-1000 around to even things out. You can get a wireless kit from SVS if needed. @Pogre here runs two Hsu subs and has an RBH SV-1212NR for near field in this thread so they don't all have to match.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The reason for having two subs the same is to even the response throughout the room. That doesn't mean that you'll ruin the response by having two different models. Might make it a little more challenging to remove nulls and boomy areas but it's going to depend on the room. That's something you'll have to experiment with. I'm no expert but given the two different designs of those subs I would place the PC-2000 in near field and move the PB-1000 around to even things out. You can get a wireless kit from SVS if needed. @Pogre here runs two Hsu subs and has an RBH SV-1212NR for near field in this thread so they don't all have to match.
I think the port tuning between the PC2000 and PB1000 are similar enough to not present any major issues. The PC is going to have more headroom and possibly dig a little bit deeper, so I'd probably do the opposite and try with the PB1000 nearfield. It having less headroom won't matter nearly as much if it's going to be nearfield.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The weaker sub nearfield seems much more appropriate to me than the opposite.

W

wgb113

Enthusiast
Thoughts on whether a pair of SB-1000 Pro would work better in a 2.2 music-only setup in a 14'1"x14'9" room than PB-1000 Pros?

Mostly listen to Rock and Jazz and will likely be using Anthem ARC to dial everything in after location optimization. Mains are a pair of KEF R11.

fandango1966

fandango1966

Audiophyte
I think the port tuning between the PC2000 and PB1000 are similar enough to not present any major issues. The PC is going to have more headroom and possibly dig a little bit deeper, so I'd probably do the opposite and try with the PB1000 nearfield. It having less headroom won't matter nearly as much if it's going to be nearfield.
thanks so much for the input...I guess i will have some experimentation to do this coming weekend...great...I'm just having some fun...I don't need that much power (my old PC12NSD was sufficient) but better bass...I will know when I hear it and feel it...even at low volume...I may try the PC2000 pro at the front and the PB1000pro near field. I like that cylinder at the front for sure! Thanks so much

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
thanks so much for the input...I guess i will have some experimentation to do this coming weekend...great...I'm just having some fun...I don't need that much power (my old PC12NSD was sufficient) but better bass...I will know when I hear it and feel it...even at low volume...I may try the PC2000 pro at the front and the PB1000pro near field. I like that cylinder at the front for sure! Thanks so much
Have fun! :p

If you have any more questions just hit us up here. If you really wanna get deep in the weeds and learn how to dial your bass in, a Umik mic and REW are great tools for seeing what's going on in your room. I think the mic is 75 or 85 bucks and REW is free. It's helped me make some very noticeable improvements.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thoughts on whether a pair of SB-1000 Pro would work better in a 2.2 music-only setup in a 14'1"x14'9" room than PB-1000 Pros?

Mostly listen to Rock and Jazz and will likely be using Anthem ARC to dial everything in after location optimization. Mains are a pair of KEF R11.
The SB-1000 Pros would only be better insofar as they would allow more placement options due to their size. In performance, the PB-1000 Pros are superior. However, unless you are going to be cranking the volume, there probably wouldn't be any serious difference in the sound between the two.

W

wgb113

Enthusiast
The SB-1000 Pros would only be better insofar as they would allow more placement options due to their size. In performance, the PB-1000 Pros are superior. However, unless you are going to be cranking the volume, there probably wouldn't be any serious difference in the sound between the two.
Any concern about using sealed subs with ported mains?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Any concern about using sealed subs with ported mains?
ShadyJ's right about ported speakers but I wouldn't want to mix ported subs with sealed subs. I also wouldn't want sealed subs for any reason other than not enough room. Everything else about a sealed sub is a compromise and you're giving up performance for size.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
ShadyJ's right about ported speakers but I wouldn't want to mix ported subs with sealed subs. I also wouldn't want sealed subs for any reason other than not enough room. Everything else about a sealed sub is a compromise and you're giving up performance for size.
For some reason that mad me think of AC/DC Big Balls. Sorry. I think it's from reading too much about MQA this morning. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis