JBL HT1Fs, Gramps to the rescue

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It doesn't handle 7.1 content (it basically didn't exist yet for the consumer at the time your avr came out). It can make some, tho (via upmixing/matrixing), it won't be "true" 7.1 as a result of course. If you play a 7.1 disc generally the 5.1 core of the mix (Dolby Digital or DTS as available) would be played.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
It doesn't handle 7.1 content (it basically didn't exist yet for the consumer at the time your avr came out). It can make some, tho (via upmixing/matrixing), it won't be "true" 7.1 as a result of course. If you play a 7.1 disc generally the 5.1 core of the mix (Dolby Digital or DTS as available) would be played.
Can't it do 6.1?, If i play 7.1 content, won't it see it as 6.1?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't it do 6.1?, If i play 7.1 content, won't it see it as 6.1?
Yes it has some native 6.1 capability (not much out there in that format these days, maybe with stuff released in that era like Surround EX that your manual uses as an example I just looked at). However 7.1 is just different and I'm pretty sure there is no 6.1 core in 7.1 content, but there is a 5.1 core component for Dolby and DTS 7.1 content....and even today not everything is released in 7.1.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Yes it has some native 6.1 capability (not much out there in that format these days, maybe with stuff released in that era like Surround EX that your manual uses as an example I just looked at). However 7.1 is just different and I'm pretty sure there is no 6.1 core in 7.1 content, but there is a 5.1 core component for Dolby and DTS 7.1 content....and even today not everything is released in 7.1.
Humn, ic, i got 2 films which are 6.1, one from 2009 and the other 2012 i think

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Humn, ic, i got 2 films which are 6.1, one from 2009 and the other 2012 i think
Yeah I have a handful but generally only notice if I'm scrolling thru alternate sound modes. But my avr can handle natively all the 7.1 as well as 6.1 codecs....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looking at your manual a bit more, see that on your rear panel you do have 7.1 multich inputs, so if you had a bluray player with 7.1 analog outs you could play the 7.1 content that way.....

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Looking at your manual a bit more, see that on your rear panel you do have 7.1 multich inputs, so if you had a bluray player with 7.1 analog outs you could play the 7.1 content that way.....
But no digital, oof

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But no digital, oof
Why would you want it digitally? To apply further processing? The multich analog inputs on an avr do generally bypass further processing, tho.....has the avr act more as strictly amp. Usually.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's how my old Yamaha was. They called it 5.1 or Dolby digital "ready". I had to buy a bunch if RCA interconnects and a DVD player with analog outs if I wanted 5.1 surround. Of course that was the time I got sucked into the sales pitch on getting the "superior" Monster brand... that was a lot more expensive than necessary...

I still have them tho! The one thing I do like about them is they're very soft and flexible. Prolly just means the gauge is too small...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's how my old Yamaha was. They called it 5.1 or Dolby digital "ready". I had to buy a bunch if RCA interconnects and a DVD player with analog outs if I wanted 5.1 surround. Of course that was the time I got sucked into the sales pitch on getting the "superior" Monster brand... that was a lot more expensive than necessary...

I still have them tho! The one thing I do like about them is they're very soft and flexible. Prolly just means the gauge is too small...
Yeah I had a similar unit way back. Transitional pieces. Early adoption or late adoption....can be disadvantages/advantages both ways but ya gotta leave an upgrade path, right? :) LOL

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Why would you want it digitally? To apply further processing? The multich analog inputs on an avr do generally bypass further processing, tho.....has the avr act more as strictly amp. Usually.
Causa i mainly use plex, and built in streaming services, my tv only has optical out

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Causa i mainly use plex, and built in streaming services, my tv only has optical out
This would be more be an audio option for an optical disc player having such processing and analog outputs....

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Do your streaming services offer 7.1?
Streaming services probly not, but disc rips do on plex, I've ripped some of mine, and some...
Don't blame for not having a legal way to attain them here in brazil

Went above and beyond to get a kizumonogatari blu ray, and I'll tell you , that's not worth it

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been using Plex a lot lately too. It's pretty slick and works across multiple platforms.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
I've been using Plex a lot lately too. It's pretty slick and works across multiple platforms.
Until SSA subs, it's always the subs
Someone on the plex discord even made a haiku about it

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Okay
ready player one is know to be ones of the movies with the best surround implementation, but even down mixing the sound from the native 7.1 true hd, to 5.1 dolby digital, sounded fucking AWESOME
If movies can come even close to that, I'm really looking forward to it
And perhaps turning deaf a lot earlier than i expected
Why did they keep this a secret from me all this time
But there's a catch
During the most bass intensive scene from the movie, house shaking bass, at 0 db on the receiver, things started to pop, now, it couldn't have been the movie it self, or a encoding error during transcoding, but, this was a pretty long bass intensive scene, and it sounded more like something a tweater would play, after that, it all came back to normal, as if it never happened, including on bass intensive scenes, but not as intensive or long as this one,

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis