Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
well I have changed the crossover since yesterday before opening rew. It’s set to 120 on the hard switch and 120 on the dial since then. It definitely add power many parts of the music.
im sure I’ll try LFE again while I’m testing stuff as well.
i had forgot about the hard switches at first and was set at 80 (50,80,AV120 options) so at first when I started running rew the above 120 dial settings where not actually doing anything.
Iv done some testing today. Moving subs around. Other than the null at 50-60, nothing sounds better than having the subs on right and left of my LP. (Make adjusting easy, lol)
It a little fatiguing and buzzing in the skull. But the sound appears to come from the center image by far better in this position. I’m waiting on longer cables to help move things around some tho.
These subs have dampening Low,med,high.
seems like low is best.
These subs have 14/28/20 excursions toggle. It’s barely noticeable at any setting. But I’m running 14 now. Was on 28. Since the subs moved next to the chair the sub-20s are not causing as much house noise from shaking (or I cannot hear it now anyways)
Yeah, but did you try it with the LFE after you adjusted crossovers, peq and turned your gain down some?

I'm gonna need to read up a little on your subs because I don't know what those different settings do. Me, I'd start over, use bass management, run setup again and do some sweeps with a 80 hz crossover in the avr and bypass any of your sub's onboard crossover settings or turn it all the way up.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
here is the REW.
Blue: Mains only
Red: High Level Inputs from speakers to subs
Green:LFE on Not calibrated yet with ACCUQ
Orange: LFE on with AccuQ re-ran and running.

i havent listen to it yet. im going listen to it a while.

Attachments

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
LFE mode: I’m not sure what to think. I need to listen more for sure.
But it set my mains to 40hz. I had to turn it back to Full to get the bass back. Still seemed flat so I turned off the AccuQ and got a little better.
Pros: it’s smooth, I don’t have as much resonance sounds.
Cons: I lost some power in the presentation in parts of the music. For example. One song I like a lot has a nice build up and drop.
With the last setup it was like voom-VOOM-POW!
With the LFE its more like voom-voom-poe->
So I lose some dynamics for consistency maybe?
I’d swear the missing power sounds were mids and not lows.
I have the LFE at 120 and the subs

everything blends better tho

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
All that work and all of my suggestions yesterday were based on the assumption you were using lfe. I don't, and wouldn't set it up the way you had it so pretty much all of my advice was pretty much useless.

You have a null, at a frequency that is absolutely audibly noticeable. That's part of it. Now I find out you've been running high level connections this whole time and some of your descriptions defy what I understand about dialing in subwoofers. If there's anything I've gotten pretty adept at, it's dialing in my subs and the way I do is such a completely different approach I don't even know where to go from here...

120 hz is awful high for those speakers. Your last set of sweeps still show that null, which I though yesterday you'd made some progress on, and now it's right back where it was. I dunno man.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
Iv been working with the LFE. Iv got it crossed at 90 now and the mains at 80. It is getting better. I turned off the PEQ for now while I was setting up the LFE and AccuQ so it didn’t create a reverse correction. I m going to go back to it to see if it can pull up the Null.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
Iv been running is Direct mode. It disables the LFE. That’s why I started not using it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Iv been working with the LFE. Iv got it crossed at 90 now and the mains at 80. It is getting better. I turned off the PEQ for now while I was setting up the LFE and AccuQ so it didn’t create a reverse correction. I m going to go back to it to see if it can pull up the Null.
What do you mean you have one crossed at 90 the other at 80? There's only a single crossover setting in the avr. Are you combining the low pass filter on the sub itself? Or confusing the purpose of the LPF of LFE setting?

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
But I disagree about your advice not being good for my issues even with HLC. Your right about speaker positioning, that’s the first thing that helped. And then also helping with REW. And it started getting better.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
In the crossover section. There are speaker settings with crossover and the LFE has a crossover. Some amps might call it “small speaker” “larger speaker settings ?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
"Crossed at 90 and mains at 80" makes no sense to me. "Mains at 80" means to me your crossover is now set to 80 hz. Where are you getting "crossed at 90"?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In the crossover section. There are speaker settings with crossover and the LFE has a crossover. Some amps might call it “small speaker” “larger speaker settings ?
No, the LFE doesn't have a crossover, just a low pass filter to limit the content of the LFE channel (i.e. the .1 part of a multich soundtrack), and the normal setting for such is 120hz.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In the menu under "bass" you should have it set to "LFE", NOT "LFE + Main" and "LPF for LFE" should be at 120. Leave it that way. Don't change it, that is for 5.1 only and has zero effect on stereo for music.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
"Crossed at 90 and mains at 80" makes no sense to me. "Mains at 80" means to me your crossover is now set to 80 hz. Where are you getting "crossed at 90"?
I think he means the AVR (mains) is crossed at 80 and the sub at 90. As long as the crossover on the sub is higher than the crossover setting on the AVR, he should be ok. Easiest to turn the sub to the highest crossover point and then adjust with the AVR, as long as he's not using Direct mode. Not sure how the Onkyo handles LFE in Direct mode.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
I don’t have a LFE + main option. It’s either on or off

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis