D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
now its hind my chair . as far different from where it started as I can. its blue. could it be the source? weird EQ in the onkyo

Attachments

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
other parts of the spectrum move. that one Dip never seems to go away. this happened last time I didn't moving around the room too. tried to use the PEQ to dip it tho I don't really know how to use that. its off now.
I don't know what you have for peq, but I'd start by turning down 42 hz and 62 hz -3 to -5 dB with a fairly high Q. Like 5 or more. Not .5, 5.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
now its hind my chair . as far different from where it started as I can. its blue. could it be the source? weird EQ in the onkyo
Nah, room mode. I have one too. I also have 3 subwoofers now and lots of dsp to fix it, lol.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll bet it sounds pretty good right behind your chair tho! I have one behind mine and I love it.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
unfortunately thats a walkway. id rather avoid that area. but I could figure something out.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
unfortunately thats a walkway. id rather avoid that area. but I could figure something out.
I think there's a good chance you can improve your bass response, depending on how far you wanna go. It won't happen overnight and takes some homework and commitment tho. Room modes are frustrating, as you've discovered. I got a MiniDSP 2x4 HD just for eq'ing my subwoofers and it helped a ton. Plus having multiple subs helps too.

My next step is room treatments too, but I've been dragging my feet a little on it. I've done a little bit of research and it's a whole new rabbit hole, and looks like a pretty steep learning curve. There's a lot to it, to do it right. So, so many posts out there of folks who over do it, completely deaden the room and hate the results. You need some of those reflections. I don't know enough to trust myself to get it right tho so I will be contacting a pro, at least to get me pointed in the right direction so I'm not shooting in the dark.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
I know this will be hard to see. Phase was at 60. at Zero the dip shifted to the right. At 180 phase it move back. both the flatter ones are with PEQ at about 60mhz and peq gain at +3.

Attachments

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I know this will be hard to see. Phase was at 60. at Zero the dip shifted to the right. At 180 phase it move back. both the flatter ones are with PEQ at about 60mhz and peq gain at +3.
I see some improvement! +3 dB isn't too drastic either. You're on the right track I'd say. It's looking better.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been told GIK Acoustics is a pretty solid company to work with. You might be able to email your measurement file for some troubleshooting. I have no clue if they would charge you for it or what tho. Like I said, been dragging my feet.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The other speakers were too forward and pitchy for me. These are smooth and sweet but need to create a little more pressure. The other speakers were the SVS ultra towers
The MA Silver 300 and SVS Ultra Towers are both very good speakers, but 50 Hz crossover is too low. Try 80 Hz and 90 Hz for better integration between the speakers and the subwoofer. Anything lower you are going to end up with potentially poor results due to those low bass capable speakers interacting with the subwoofer in a bad way.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The MA Silver 300 and SVS Ultra Towers are both very good speakers, but 50 Hz crossover is too low. Try 80 Hz and 90 Hz for better integration between the speakers and the subwoofer. Anything lower you are going to end up with potentially poor results due to those low bass capable speakers interacting with the subwoofer in a bad way.
He's actually working with us Peng. Kinda refreshing actually. So far he's been open to advice and is moving his sub all over the room and taking sweeps for me!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So what are you using for PEQ? I missed it if you mentioned it already.

PS, another thing I experimented with was my sub distances. Adding 2 feet gave me back about 4 dB from a big dip I had. I just kept changing the distance by a foot at a time, both ways, and took sweeps after every adjustment.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
was working with it. decided to turn the subs off one run and now im noticing the Mains dip which..... but the subs spike...

Attachments

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis