Pretty Sure I Just Broke My Arm

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Go to the nearest dispensary and grab some heavy indica ...
I grow my own. Have for years. I got some heavy indica right now. Some fat, sticky buds too. I haven't been to a dispensary in a long time.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Okay, here's the thing with that. I have experienced the exact same thing a few times now when I got hurt.

The sore jaw, isn't too bad. I didn't hit my face that hard, my cheek and jaw have very small scuffs, almost not even noticeable. The arm is definitely the most hurt right now. There was no loss of consciousness, just that sick light headed feeling you get with a painful injury right when it happened, so I really don't think I have a concussion. Headache is gone and was pretty mild at that. No nausea.

I remember one time I hit my knee on a cement pole and the same thing happened, almost blacked out from the pain. Happened another time when I took a nasty shot to the jimmies once too... I was practicing casting a round fishing net with lead weights attached all the way around the edge and swung it wrong. Those weights whipped around and nailed my boys dead on. I got light headed and had to lay down, almost blacked out. That one really sucked, lol. Also happened when I broke my foot pretty badly too. That sick, light headedness and almost blacked out then too.

Yesterday was exactly the same. I was fully cognitive and never actually hit my head or lost consciousness. Just that sick, light headed feeling I'd experienced before with painful injuries.

God, I'm a wuss... lol.
I’m not sure what “fully cognitive” means, but I doubt feeling nauseous after you hit your head and not getting checked out falls in the definition.

I’m done.

I hope you heal up quickly and completely.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They just called. It's a radial fracture. Keep it splinted and follow up with an ortho. She didn't want to comment on severity when I asked but I'm sure it was receptionist and she has no clue. I'll swing by there sometime today and get copies of the x rays. When the wife gets home we'll figure out who's in our network and make an appointment, tho at this point I think I'd be fine just keeping it splinted like it is...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’m not sure what “fully cognitive” means, but I doubt feeling nauseous after you hit your head and not getting checked out falls in the definition.

I’m done.

Did you even read my whole post?? I didn't even hit my head... I've been hurt, got nauseous and passed out multiple times before and it had nothing to do with a head injury. It's how my body reacts trauma.

I'm done.

I'm sure I will... :rolleyes:

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
several different places to fx the radius. Some of little consequence like the head and others not as good. It's a rather long bone.

1617302508215.png

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’m not sure what “fully cognitive” means,
It means I was fully aware of everything the entire time, did not lose consciuosness, have no memory loss, confusion or loss of equilibrium. Operating at 100% capacity the entire time. I knew instantly my arm was broken and remember everything in vivid detail...

I got right up, brushed myself off and finished my delivery without a hiccup. Including texting the recipient and marking it delivered. When I felt the arm pain is when I got light headed, just like I did when I broke my foot, took a shot to the nuts and hit my knee. I've been injured before and I know how my body reacts to trauma. It is wholly unsurprising to me that I'd get dizzy and nauseous from a broken bone.

If I had actually hit my head or lost consciousness then yes, possible concussion. That's not what happened tho, I'm not concussed and I'm done arguing about it. Aside from being sore and sleeping like poop last night because of arm pain I'm perfectly fine right now

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
several different places to fx the radius. Some of little consequence like the head and others not as good. It's a rather long bone.

View attachment 46192
It's my radius, from her description it sounds and feels like the head is fractured. I'm pretty sure she even said it. "Radial head fracture" or close to that. It really hurts right below my elbow. Gripping or twisting is intensely painful.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja

I’m done.

You were done when Snow White threw you over for that twinky little prince. Lighten up, Pogre will hurt himself again soon enough.:p Now, about that phonebook reading...;)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It's my radius, from her description it sounds and feels like the head is fractured. I'm pretty sure she even said it. "Radial head fracture" or close to that. It really hurts right below my elbow. Gripping or twisting is intensely painful.
:oops: I do hope you trained your other arm to...;)

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
When you fall on an outstretched hand (FOOSH) you can fracture all the way from your wrist to your clavicle (collar bone). Since the wrist is critical for many functions it is the worst place to fracture. The shaft of the radius often needs a plate and screws put in to fix the alignment. I've seen hundreds of radial head fractures and can't think of one that went to the OR. Clavicle fractures usually heal fine but sometimes need a plate. Fractures of the upper arm (humerus) vary but take a lot of force. None are good but some heal n their own.

In short, don't let the wrist bear all the force. Let your arm crumple and distribute the force over your whole arm, shoulder and side if you can. Of course putting the hand out is a reflex and we are generally surprised when we fall so that's tough to do.

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
Radial head...probably the least problematic of all upper extremity Fxs, although is painful.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
They just called. It's a radial fracture. Keep it splinted and follow up with an ortho. She didn't want to comment on severity when I asked but I'm sure it was receptionist and she has no clue. I'll swing by there sometime today and get copies of the x rays. When the wife gets home we'll figure out who's in our network and make an appointment, tho at this point I think I'd be fine just keeping it splinted like it is...
The radial head is within the elbow joint. Now bone is very vascular. You will have bleeding into the joint. This is a hemarthrosis. So as the pain settles you will need to gently start mobilizing the joint. The biggest problem with this injury, is adhesions developing in the elbow joint. This can lead to permanent restriction of movement if not treated properly. I remember when I had to same injury, I had a very difficult time getting a full range of movement back in my elbow.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The radial head is within the elbow joint. Now bone is very vascular. You will have bleeding into the joint. This is a hemarthrosis. So as the pain settles you will need to gently start mobilizing the joint. The biggest problem with this injury, is adhesions developing in the elbow joint. This can lead to permanent restriction of movement if not treated properly. I remember when I had to same injury, I had a very difficult time getting a full range of movement back in my elbow.
There is some very light bruising and swelling. My fingers felt puffy last night and still do, but not as much and I can move them easier now. It was one hell of a spill.

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
I also had that injury. The radiologist rapidly read the film as negative, but I saw the evidence of the hemarthrosis ("sail sign") myself. Could not actually see the fracture, so was presumed occult fracture. Fortunately it completely healed and pain gone after about 5-6 weeks.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis