Audyssey Issues and Ultra Surrounds..

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
So finally got my Ultra Surrounds, tried to run the calibration on the Denon 6700 but Audyssey doesn't recognize the REAR surrounds at all.

I made sure they were in DUET mode and hooked up correctly.

Also while running the Audyssey, the unit shuts off half way through!

Do I need to set the AMP selection per channel or does the Denon do this Automatically?

If I needed to set the channels, what do I set them to? I have the fronts, center, 4 heights, and the Ultra Surrounds = 4 channels = 11.1channels in duet mode.

So why is the Amp shutting off?
Why isnt it not finding the Rear Surrounds?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If your receiver is shutting down you might have a serious problem somewhere. I'd check all of your wiring and look for any damage. Check all of the connections and look for any stray strands of wire sticking out and causing a short. As far as "duette mode", I have no clue. I've never, nor will I ever buy those types of speakers for any use. I just listened to gene talk about them in his last video about Audyssey. He flat out said they're not a good design and need to disappear from the market.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
If your receiver is shutting down you might have a serious problem somewhere. I'd check all of your wiring and look for any damage. Check all of the connections and look for any stray strands of wire sticking out and causing a short. As far as "duette mode", I have no clue. I've never, nor will I ever buy those types of speakers for any use. I just listened to gene talk about them in his last video about Audyssey. He flat out said they're not a good design and need to disappear from the market.
Oh
So how sensitive are these terminals??

I did find bits of loose copper wires coming off the terminal connections on Denon

Would that be the issue???

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh
So how sensitive are these terminals??

I did find bits of loose copper wires coming off the terminal connections on Denon

Would that be the issue???
Well, it creates shorts and can blow up your amplifier and possibly damage your speakers. Luckily it sounds like yours went into protection mode... So yes that would be an issue. You cannot have even a single strand poking out and touching the other terminal. From the sounds of it, you're lucky you didn't fry your amp... get it all cleaned up and tidy, do a factory reset on your avr and try again.

I use banana plugs. They're cheap enough and cleaner connections with no frayed ends. It's nice if (like myself) you swap speakers in and out fairly often too.

There are other brands that use that same type of plug and they're all pretty much the same, just a different name on the jacket. Look for the ones that have 2 set screws for gripping the cable.

*PS, that goes for the connection to the speakers too. No stray strands!

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Well, it creates shorts and can blow up your amplifier and possibly damage your speakers. Luckily it sounds like yours went into protection mode... So yes that would be an issue. You cannot have even a single strand poking out and touching the other terminal. From the sounds of it, you're lucky you didn't fry your amp... get it all cleaned up and tidy, do a factory reset on your avr and try again.

I use banana plugs. They're cheap enough and cleaner connections with no frayed ends. It's nice if (like myself) you swap speakers in and out fairly often too.

There are other brands that use that same type of plug and they're all pretty much the same, just a different name on the jacket. Look for the ones that have 2 set screws for gripping the cable.

*PS, that goes for the connection to the speakers too. No stray strands!
So I tightened things up
Then reset

The Denon recognized all 11 speakers!

So am I safe to start Audyssey??

I mean since it didn’t shut off ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So I tightened things up
Then reset

The Denon recognized all 11 speakers!

So am I safe to start Audyssey??

I mean since it didn’t shut off ;)
Sounds good to go. Good thing protection/shutdown kicked in before something fried! You gotta be careful with details like that man. That could have gone pretty badly.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Sounds good to go. Good thing protection/shutdown kicked in before something fried! You gotta be careful with details like that man. That could have gone pretty badly.
Ok thanks for that

Another thing when I run Audyssey the left ultra surround tone is much lower in volume compared to the other speakers

Do this mean it’s a bad woofer in there or is Audyssey doing something strange?!

Thanks

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok thanks for that

Another thing when I run Audyssey the left ultra surround tone is much lower in volume compared to the other speakers

Do this mean it’s a bad woofer in there or is Audyssey doing something strange?!

Thanks
Is your room quiet? Any doors closing or a dog barking or some other noise will throw it off. Check and make sure you didn't inadvertently reverse polarity with one of the connections.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you following the pattern and taking all 8 measurements? No more than 20" from the first position and mic needs to be at ear height. Are you using a tripod?

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Are you following the pattern and taking all 8 measurements? No more than 20" from the first position and mic needs to be at ear height. Are you using a tripod?
Yes

It’s done. 11.1 complete calibration

Levels aren’t that good at all though. May need to adjust them

I think though one ultra surround is dead. Barely hear anything from it.

Audyssey tried to raise it to +12

Going to contact Svs

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
I know you guys dont like these but wow - from my initial testing and listening they are fantastic and they look fricken gorgeous

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I know you guys dont like these but wow - from my initial testing and listening they are fantastic and they look fricken gorgeous
If you save this calibration you can experiment with other mic locations as Audyssey can be quite picky in the bass region, at least in my small room. Saving also lets you more easily experiment with moving speakers/subwoofers/furniture around. In the Audyssey menu (for calibration) there is a Restore, though I've never used it.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
How does it get saved?

Is that the PRESET 1?
The presets is for locally storing some settings (edit: on the AVR) like volume, HDMI input/output, Audyssey settings, and some other things, and by pressing the button you can recall those settings. I use those presets for my Logitech Harmony Remote when selecting an activity, like preset 1 for Cable TV, Preset 2 for watching movie, and so on.

On my older Denon AVR there is a WWW server that I connect to save ALL of the current AVR setup/configuration but on your 6700 you have to use an USB stick: https://manuals.denon.com/AVRX6700H/NA/EN/RQIFSYstlslsuk.php

That said, in contrast to my AVR, you can buy an iOS/Android app that just saves/restores the calibration, and that is far easier to use.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Weird occurrence....

After running Audyssey I changed the crossovers to 80

I just went back in and saw the crossovers changed back to Audyssey settings?!

Is this normal?

Has anyone noticed Audyssey changing crossovers??

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Did you hit "restore"? None of my Audyssey equipped avrs have gone back to the Audyssey settings from the initial setup without doing that....

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Yeah it’s strange

Me neither

I wonder if I was tinkering with something and caused it

I know I didn’t touch restore though...

Anyway am I correct with setting the speakers to small and letting the PB4000 do the heavy lifting?

Also setting the crossovers higher like 120?

Thanks

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I've seen Aud/ my Marantz hiccough like this from time to time. Uncertain if its the Phone App, or Aud within the AVR... but I started double checking my changes from time to time and they usually stick.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah it’s strange

Me neither

I wonder if I was tinkering with something and caused it

I know I didn’t touch restore though...

Anyway am I correct with setting the speakers to small and letting the PB4000 do the heavy lifting?

Also setting the crossovers higher like 120?

Thanks
Base you XO to the Subs on the F3 )low dB rating of each Speaker). I always recommend 1 octave above as a starting point (which is a doubling of frequency, i.e. 80Hz is 1 octave above 40Hz.) Experiment up and down from there on mains and center... Surrounds and Rears, Etc. should error towards slightly higher I would argue.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

Thanks
Before you blame the speaker, swap it with one of the other Ultras. If the speaker is bad, the low volume will move with the speaker. If the same channel is low with a different speaker, then you may have damaged an amp when the wiring was crossed. If the speakers are hard to get to, you can temporarily swap the speaker wires on the AVR and see if the same or different speaker has low volume.

I would go into manual setup mode and check the Audessey settings first and see if you can bump up the low channel manually before diagnosing the amps. May just be a setup issue.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis