Looking for Subwoofer Suggestions for HT Room (WiP)

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
You could apply eq if there's enough overhead but 6 dB boost would require 4x the power and at 16hz what are you really going to have for content....you a large pipe organ fan or something? Room gain may reinforce existing extension but won't actually extend it. Some do choose for finish options.
I figured some movies will go down that much or maybe more. Perhaps at this point it’s chasing diminishing returns. When you talk about EQ is that the controls on the sub, Like Q control or gain or something else?
Good to know that room gain won’t extend extension.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I figured some movies will go down that much or maybe more. Perhaps at this point it’s chasing diminishing returns. When you talk about EQ is that the controls on the sub, Like Q control or gain or something else?
Good to know that room gain won’t extend extension.
I don't know if the sub has a parametric eq option, some do have 1-3 bands built into the sub amp. You could also use something external like a miniDSP unit (2x4HD for example). You might like to review this thread for content in movies if you haven't already found it in the forums at data-bass.com

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
I don't know if the sub has a parametric eq option, some do have 1-3 bands built into the sub amp. You could also use something external like a miniDSP unit (2x4HD for example). You might like to review this thread for content in movies if you haven't already found it in the forums at data-bass.com
This is something I have found in the last few days, people using a minidsp device, I’ll read up some more on that. I don’t think the HSU does. What’s the value of the XLR input, Is not having that a big deal?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This is something I have found in the last few days, people using a minidsp device, I’ll read up some more on that. I don’t think the HSU does. What’s the value of the XLR input, Is not having that a big deal?
XLR inputs are for connectivity to higher-end home audio or pro-audio. If you are just using standard consumer gear, it isn't going to be of much use to you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Like shadyj says on the connection, thery're just connections....can have an advantage in noise rejection if you had a very long run of cable between pre-amp and sub perhaps. See this one ? https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/multiple-subwoofer-setup-calibration-1/multiple-subwoofer-setup

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
XLR inputs are for connectivity to higher-end home audio or pro-audio. If you are just using standard consumer gear, it isn't going to be of much use to you.

Like shadyj says on the connection, thery're just connections....can have an advantage in noise rejection if you had a very long run of cable between pre-amp and sub perhaps. See this one ? https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/multiple-subwoofer-setup-calibration-1/multiple-subwoofer-setup
Right now I’m using a Denon X4300H, which can do 7.2.4 (using an additional 2 channel amp), and I’ll be adding amps and eventually get a processor with 120hz 4K. Will it help with the pre-pro going to the sub? Mostly likely will use a Marantz 11ch processor at some point.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Right now I’m using a Denon X4300H, which can do 7.2.4 (using an additional 2 channel amp), and I’ll be adding amps and eventually get a processor with 120hz 4K. Will it help with the pre-pro going to the sub? Mostly likely will use a Marantz 11ch processor at some point.
What's the longest run of cable likely to be? You want dsp with xlr connections perhaps? I wouldn't worry about it particularly, altho they are nice type of connectors (like my favorite speaker connectors are speakons) and if you go pre-pro with xlr and amps with xlr etc then go for it.

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
What's the longest run of cable likely to be? You want dsp with xlr connections perhaps? I wouldn't worry about it particularly, altho they are nice type of connectors (like my favorite speaker connectors are speakons) and if you go pre-pro with xlr and amps with xlr etc then go for it.
Nothing longer than 50ft at the worst. What are the limits usually?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nothing longer than 50ft at the worst. What are the limits usually?
Well the rca 75 ohm coax cables made for video were good to 100 ft or so IIRC and audio's easier....but still need a quality cable of sufficient construction and all that....but I still wouldn't buy a sub just for an xlr connection :) YMMV.

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
Well the rca 75 ohm coax cables made for video were good to 100 ft or so IIRC and audio's easier....but still need a quality cable of sufficient construction and all that....but I still wouldn't buy a sub just for an xlr connection :) YMMV.
That’s good enough for me. I won’t be sweating about a sub having XLR inputs.

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
Btw the data sheet thread from 2014, doesn't seem to have been updated for the newer subs, correct?

And is there any data for HSU subs @ 12.5 Hz for VTF 15H MK2 & VTF 3 MK5? @shadyJ
And it seems these 2 subs never got a full review, there is a preview article but no full review, unless I missed it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I thought these were the older models and the new ones have better performance. I think the new VTF3 is MK5 and 15H is MK2.
I'd say the improvements are still fairly minor in terms of comparing in general....don't focus too much on minute detail/overthinking it.

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
I complied some data together, and I wish I had the 12.5Hz or 14Hz extension readings. The Red is the highest output followed by Orange and Yellow. The VTF3 is a really good value at its price point. At 15H the Monoprice seems better when its on sale.

SubWoofers.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Consider chasing the lowest extensions at significant spl is highly room and budget dependent :) Not tons of content to get too worried about, altho I do understand the ability to do whatever you throw at your system is a very good thing. Really deep bass at decent spl can get expensive. I've done somewhat with large diy subs but the content available generally doesn't get me excited to get silly about it....

I

i_max

Junior Audioholic
Consider chasing the lowest extensions at significant spl is highly room and budget dependent :) Not tons of content to get too worried about, altho I do understand the ability to do whatever you throw at your system is a very good thing. Really deep bass at decent spl can get expensive. I've done somewhat with large diy subs but the content available generally doesn't get me excited to get silly about it....
Knowing a little what the ID subs can offer, I was thinking at least to consider a DIY sub, what could $1k buy in that category, how hands on do you have to be to not mess up that gear? Are there option to variable tune with 1 or more ports closed etc like the ones I’m considering. And you make an excellent point, having that capability is what I feel is important to have, at those price points maybe. Knowing the system can deliver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Knowing a little what the ID subs can offer, I was thinking at least to consider a DIY sub, what could $1k buy in that category, how hands on do you have to be to not mess up that gear? Are there option to variable tune with 1 or more ports closed etc like the ones I’m considering. And you make an excellent point, having that capability is what I feel is important to have, at those price points maybe. Knowing the system can deliver.
Multiples is where DIY becomes a particularly good value IMO. You can buy a wide variety of drivers with good performance, some as low as $100-200 as long as you build an appropriate box for it. Amps can be better with the two channel variety so as to handle two subs more economically (and having exterior amps I think is a good way to go). Lots of ideas on the diy subforum here as well as other fora....

ps Having sufficient finishing skills if WAF is involved can make it much more challenging....I'm single.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Well, I've got a song for you that goes down to 14 Hz. When I feel that I always grin...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis