Denon AVR-X3600H vs AVR-X3700H or AVR-X4500H?

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
But do you need such a large capacity fan? What's the dB level at its minimum 750 rpm? The max level looks pretty high....
Yes, but that is for his cabinet vent. At full blast it does get pretty loud, but if that cooler guys fans didn’t do its job they were going into my unit. It comes with a fan speed controller.

Go Big or Go Home, in memory of mazer

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
But do you need such a large capacity fan? What's the dB level at its minimum 750 rpm? The max level looks pretty high....
I would not have chosen the industrial Noctua series for cooling an AVR. I got two 80 mm 5V PMW fans controlled by a Noctua fan controller, and the Noctua are silent at low RMP while still have some airflow. There are also larger fans to help even more to have low fans noise and good airflow.

The 5V PWM Noctua fans are nice as they are much more convenient to power than the 12V fans outside a PC box.

Here is a list of the Noctua fans with specifications like RPM and dB/A:

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Question #1: Using amp assign on the Denon 3600 or 4500 to set fronts to preamp mode does not impact the rest of your speakers. It just tells the receiver to use pre-outs for fronts.

Question #2: You will not lose music with 5.2. But you may miss the occasional slam of a back door or other rear surround effects in a movie. But to be honest you won't even notice it.

Qyuestion #3: If you are not considering setting up front and rear highs then you won't miss the Auro-3D feature in the 4500 or 4700. In that case, I would go with the 3600 or 3700.

I have owned Denon 4500 and currently own two Denon 4700's. I would never buy a 4500 again. It's more than 3 year old tech that does not measure up to the 4700. The preamp mode in the 3700 and 4700 are worth it to me and in the 4700 there are more Auro 3D features.

If front and rear height speakers are not in your future consider the 3600 or 3700. Personally, I really like the ability to use it as a preamp and the dual presets in the 3700 let you change configurations on the fly.

Based on what you have said, I would look for a dealer that would give you 10% off on a new Denon 3700. The small extra fee is worth it over the 3600 to me. Listenup.com will discount Denon receivers if you ask. Other retailers may do so as well.
So there wasn't a model with X4600H...strange, but they had X3600H.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
So there wasn't a model with X4600H...strange, but they had X3600H.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
That model was skipped that year, I seem to recall, and might now be on a two year refresh cycle.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
I would not have chosen the industrial Noctua series for cooling an AVR. I got two 80 mm 5V PMW fans controlled by a Noctua fan controller, and the Noctua are silent at low RMP while still have some airflow. There are also larger fans to help even more to have low fans noise and good airflow.

The 5V PWM Noctua fans are nice as they are much more convenient to power than the 12V fans outside a PC box.

I didn’t because the stock fans that came with cooler guys do the trick, however you can change out to any fans you like.

If they didn’t do the trick I would for certain buy 2 of those cracked out industrial versions for the main heat sink area.

I got 10 of those inside my PC :D

Sub Zero

At full blast it sounds like a server, but my PC is like 6 ft away from me and they always running probably a 1000 to 1500. My pc an ice chest

F

Fafaneboat

Audioholic Intern

Exactly, the Noctua I'm currently using is intended for computers (5v) and it's fitted with one or two of those included resistors on an old printer 12v power supply. It's completely silent and has been running non stop since 2008. Only drawback being it's sucking dust in the cabinet from all the cracks.
I may end up using another fan to force air in but with some kind of air filtering device. (Ideally right below the receiver hidden in the top drawer ( there are 2))
It's a wooden cabinet with a glass door, not a server cabinet so it's stealth and does the job done while partially hidding what's inside.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Mine doesn’t, I believe the newer units have those fans at the bottom. I mean that fan helps, but you want real fans pulling that heat out.
I thought you said you had the SR7013? It has fans under the heat sinks for sure.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Exactly, the Noctua I'm currently using is intended for computers (5v) and it's fitted with one or two of those included resistors on an old printer 12v power supply. It's completely silent and has been running non stop since 2008. Only drawback being it's sucking dust in the cabinet from all the cracks.
I may end up using another fan to force air in but with some kind of air filtering device. (Ideally right below the receiver hidden in the top drawer ( there are 2))
It's a wooden cabinet with a glass door, not a server cabinet so it's stealth and does the job done while partially hidding what's inside.
If you can provide the unit with the recommended space for natural cooling you may be fine, but I do recommend putting an external fan on top of the unit. If nothing else, it should help in terms of longevity.

There are two fans below the heat sinks unit but they don't turn on until the heatsinks temperature gets really high, too high for comfort in my opinion. Denon/Marantz likely use a higher set point to avoid complaints of noise. The fans, with relatively high set point, are probably there just to minimize warranty claims, rather than for longevity.

F

Fafaneboat

Audioholic Intern
If you can provide the unit with the recommended space for natural cooling you may be fine, but I do recommend putting an external fan on top of the unit. If nothing else, it should help in terms of longevity.

There are two fans below the heat sinks unit but they don't turn on until the heatsinks temperature gets really high, too high for comfort in my opinion. Denon/Marantz likely use a higher set point to avoid complaints of noise. The fans, with relatively high set point, are probably there just to minimize warranty claims, rather than for longevity.
Oh, I didn't see it that way!!! I would have liked they were pwm fans !
I guess I will have to monitor the temps and see if it's needed. I find it ugly on top of it (especially with the glass door) and I'm not ready to open a brand new receiver to hide a fan underneath the case above the heatsink. What do you think about the idea of hidding it underneath the amp with a hole in the cabinet for an inlet fan since I already use an exhaust one? Both are identical 120 mm Noctua fans so it would create a nice breeze inside the cabinet (and most likely even more dust but I'm working an inlet filter out)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess I will have to monitor the temps and see if it's needed. I find it ugly on top of it (especially with the glass door) and I'm not ready to open a brand new receiver to hide a fan underneath the case above the heatsink. What do you think about the idea of hidding it underneath the amp with a hole in the cabinet for an inlet fan since I already use an exhaust one? Both are identical 120 mm Noctua fans so it would create a nice breeze inside the cabinet (and most likely even more dust but I'm working an inlet filter out)
Sure if you can do that.. I remember some members use a top mounting one that covers the whole top, looks great, like it's part of the AVR. It probably costs much more than the AC Infinity fans.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Noctua also has a Chromax line of PWM fans that are black, if that helps.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I still have one of those Noctua fan brand new in the box. I bought it for the low noise but when I was made aware of AC Infinity's I decided to use those instead as they are easy to connect (USB/5V) and the black color blends in with my Denon/Marantz gear very well.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic

Yes I do have the 7013, does it? I haven’t seen a fan down there, then again I’ve never looked at the bottom to be honest.

Definitely, heat rises, the cooler guys keeps my unit really cool. Like ridiculous, if the fans on top aren’t on let’s say the heat is a 10, when I put those fans on it’s literally a 1 in comparison to heat, tops 2. And I don’t think it’s a 2, it feels as if the unit isn’t even on and for hours too. Sometimes I listen to music up to 8 hours.

Maybe I’ve also never noticed those fans cause I’ve never used my unit without the top fans, in addition I always have room at 70 degrees, I have my AC on anytime my pc is on or generally when I am in there, so that maybe another factor that keeps the unit so cool, never tried to run it without consistent temp. Just providing my situation which may vary from others giving them different results or how I’m achieving this icy avr

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Ugly is one thing, but keeping your unit lasting much longer is far more crucial. I mean AC infinity will do the trick and is cosmetically nice. But I just need the job done and I’m on a budget as well.

All you get is looks and temp read out and auto on and off function with the fans. But that’s a 60 dollar value. Plus many people complain that the temp on and off function will wait until it gets hot and then turns on high and it’s loud. Many people just leave it set on without auto 3 or 4 fan speed.

I wouldn’t think that’s very wise, that goes back to letting it heat up. If it stays cool all the time there’s no issue.

Edit. Second if you got your unit inside a cabinet who cares what it looks like, it’s not even that visible. So I would think cosmetics would no longer matter, and next sound will never be an issue. Just crank it up all the way and use it. The temp inside your cabinet will only over heat your unit more as it should be clear it’s going to get hot in there

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Noctua also has a Chromax line of PWM fans that are black, if that helps.

I like the monster fans, they are really powerful and yes that comes with a price.

Yes, even their regular fans out perform most fans, but those industrial fans have the output of 3 fans + in a single fan. It will make the avr ice cold.

In a cabinet for instance it would be fine, but obviously you don’t need to run them at full speed, which is what generates that much air flow. So it’s reasonable to buy regular noctua’s

My pc has 10 of those fans, when they all are 80% it’s louder than my Dyson fan, but again that’s 10 fans. At a 100% it sounds like a server room.

But for my pc it’s different, it’s to keep everything cool when it’s being maxed out. My pc runs much cooler than the same setup people have with the wack rgb fans, rgb fans are trash compared to noctua. I’m all about performance vs cosmetics. My pc costs 3000 in parts and the fans were an additional 10% of that cost so 3300, but my pc will last easily 10 years.

F

Fafaneboat

Audioholic Intern
Ugly is one thing, but keeping your unit lasting much longer is far more crucial. I mean AC infinity will do the trick and is cosmetically nice. But I just need the job done and I’m on a budget as well.

All you get is looks and temp read out and auto on and off function with the fans. But that’s a 60 dollar value. Plus many people complain that the temp on and off function will wait until it gets hot and then turns on high and it’s loud. Many people just leave it set on without auto 3 or 4 fan speed.

I wouldn’t think that’s very wise, that goes back to letting it heat up. If it stays cool all the time there’s no issue.

Edit. Second if you got your unit inside a cabinet who cares what it looks like, it’s not even that visible. So I would think cosmetics would no longer matter, and next sound will never be an issue. Just crank it up all the way and use it. The temp inside your cabinet will only over heat your unit more as it should be clear it’s going to get hot in there
I wanted to break it in, it smelled a bit a few times and I noticed sound kind of got better.
After a while at high volume, it got hot, internal fans didn't start but as everyone says here, it's uncomfortable so I've ordered a Aircom T10 Wich, as you said, doesn't look that bad at all. I felt front exhaust will be better for this cabinet and I'll monitor inside temps since I've both filtered inlet and straight outlet Noctua 120mm fans.
Hope it'll do well!

H

HSWJR

Audioholic Intern
I was in the same boat until I really started thinking and pondering the very valuable advice I got... right now Crutchfield has the Denon 3600 for $800. If you do not have greedy speakers, that is the bargain of the century. IOW if you have reasonably efficient speakers that operate in the 6 ohm region most of the time, no externals required. If you are going to use external amps that are single ended for more than Front L & R, the Denon 3700 and 4700 are where it is at (but now you are at $1200). If your speakers need to go low (4 ohms etc) then you will need external amps if you listen loud, which means 3700 or 4700, no doubt about it IMHO. I have some Dunlavy speakers which, while reasonably efficient, can get a bit hungry and seem to like more power than those receiver amps will provide. If you don't already own XLR amps etc then no need to look at the uber$ pre-pros with XLR connectivity. Save big $ and get one of the Denons (again 3600 if no external amps or only front L & R externals, or the 3700 or 4700 if more than L & R external amps, and maybe even if ANY external amps are going to be employed). I bought the 3600 for $999 and sent it back unopened... today I see the 3600 for $800... not going there because I will be using XLR- own some Krell amps etc (and my Dunlavy's live at 5 ohm i,e. straddling the middle so why not go bigger... "go to 11!"). If I were sane the Denon will get me 99% of everything I need and save me lots of $... no loss in overall SQ with the Denons vs anything less than $2-2.5k is what seems to be the consensus...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes I do have the 7013, does it? I haven’t seen a fan down there, then again I’ve never looked at the bottom to be honest.

Definitely, heat rises, the cooler guys keeps my unit really cool. Like ridiculous, if the fans on top aren’t on let’s say the heat is a 10, when I put those fans on it’s literally a 1 in comparison to heat, tops 2. And I don’t think it’s a 2, it feels as if the unit isn’t even on and for hours too. Sometimes I listen to music up to 8 hours.

Maybe I’ve also never noticed those fans cause I’ve never used my unit without the top fans, in addition I always have room at 70 degrees, I have my AC on anytime my pc is on or generally when I am in there, so that maybe another factor that keeps the unit so cool, never tried to run it without consistent temp. Just providing my situation which may vary from others giving them different results or how I’m achieving this icy avr
You can see it from the top. There are two of them. It show up at about 8:23 in the Youtube video linked below:

Marantz SR7013 av receiver unboxing and deep unboxing - Bing video

1611319757917.png

1611320507323.png

Again, it is my belief that those fans are only there to protect Marantz from warranty claims. The set point is so high that for normal use with adequate space for natural cooling, they may never turn on. So for longevity reason, top fans are a must, in my opinion.

Last edited:
F

Fafaneboat

Audioholic Intern
You can see it from the top. There are two of them. It show up at about 8:23 in the Youtube video linked below:

Marantz SR7013 av receiver unboxing and deep unboxing - Bing video

View attachment 43901

View attachment 43902

Again, it is my belief that those fans are only there to protect Marantz from warranty claims. The set point is so high that for normal use with adequate space for natural cooling, they may never turn on. So for longevity reason, top fans are a must, in my opinion.
I must confirm Marantz/Denon set points must be high as I'm experimenting with my brand new AVR-X3700H yesterday and measured between 130 and 142f on top of the unit and fans were off. An aircom unit is on the way...

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
Denon/Marantz should let users set what temperature and speed the fan runs at.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis