highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
When you say travel needs to be curtailed, I have been flabbergasted that minimally Interstate airline travel in the United States has not been suspended since Nov. 1st. The surge was predicted, tied in large part to holiday travel. The airline industry has enjoyed government bailout in the past, and looking forward can expect redress To keep it viable.

With open national air travel, will the hotspots for the virus move as people move?
Nevermind saw your earlier comment on the issue.
Southwest Airlines announced flights for $29.

That should help.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Speaking of flights, the big controversy up here right now is about politicians in "do as I say, not as I do" mode.

The Federal and Provincial governments had yammered on and on to the public about not travelling over the holidays.
Happening here plenty too. People in the public eye are publicly saying "stay home, wear masks, don't have gatherings" while doing exactly the opposite.

Then we wonder why so many people are out there saying "if they don't have to do it, why do I?" I guess people haven't heard of "lead by example".

highfigh

highfigh

Speaking of flights, the big controversy up here right now is about politicians in "do as I say, not as I do" mode.

The Federal and Provincial governments had yammered on and on to the public about not travelling over the holidays.
Now, you're seeing 'Do as I say, not as I do'? Finally? We have been bitching about that here for decades!

Welcome to the club.

highfigh

highfigh

Happening here plenty too. People in the public eye are publicly saying "stay home, wear masks, don't have gatherings" while doing exactly the opposite.

Then we wonder why so many people are out there saying "if they don't have to do it, why do I?" I guess people haven't heard of "lead by example".
If I hear anyone say "All of the cool kids are doing it, why can't we?", I may have to do something drastic.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Now, you're seeing 'Do as I say, not as I do'? Finally? We have been bitching about that here for decades!

Welcome to the club.
Oh, there has always been an element of that here as well. Different rules for us and them. But, the unmitigated stupidity displayed by these particular politicians is breathtaking. To be clear, we're talking about just a handful of them in this case. The vast majority of politicians have been toeing the party line. It just makes these few stand out.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If I hear anyone say "All of the cool kids are doing it, why can't we?", I may have to do something drastic.
Well, they didn't use those words, but the sentiment is the same.

Basically, people are followers (sheep) and don't like to think for themselves. Unfortunately, the people they follow are also idiots so the followers do the same as the idiots thus creating more idiots.

A vicious cycle of stupid.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I'm seeing news reports of adverse reactions, health care workers refusing the vaccine, etc., being repeated on social media. This appears to be an effort to create doubt about the vaccines. This is rather absurd given that an American dies from COVID every 33 seconds right now.

Perhaps my google skills are terrible, but it appears to me that there has not been a single death of anyone who received any of the COVID vaccines that was either caused by COVID-19 or a reaction to a vaccine (not including infections that occurred shortly after the vaccine was administered, before the immune response fully kicked in).

There have a been a few reports of someone dying after getting a vaccine, but I have not seen any reports in which a death was known to be caused by COVID or the vaccine. Of course, some reports are clearly false (e.g. the nurse in Alabama story).

Has anyone heard of any documented (reliable) cases of a person receiving a COVID vaccine (any of them, not just Pfizer, Moderna, Oxford) and dying either from the vaccine itself or COVID?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'm seeing news reports of adverse reactions, health care workers refusing the vaccine, etc., being repeated on social media. This appears to be an effort to create doubt about the vaccines. This is rather absurd given that an American dies from COVID every 33 seconds right now.

Perhaps my google skills are terrible, but it appears to me that there has not been a single death of anyone who received any of the COVID vaccines that was either caused by COVID-19 or a reaction to a vaccine (not including infections that occurred shortly after the vaccine was administered, before the immune response fully kicked in).

There have a been a few reports of someone dying after getting a vaccine, but I have not seen any reports in which a death was known to be caused by COVID or the vaccine. Of course, some reports are clearly false (e.g. the nurse in Alabama story).

Has anyone heard of any documented (reliable) cases of a person receiving a COVID vaccine (any of them, not just Pfizer, Moderna, Oxford) and dying either from the vaccine itself or COVID?
No one has died. Conspiracy theories are rife at the moment. That these vaccines alter your DNA as a means of allowing the government control over people is gaining traction apparently. I blame Trump for this. His irresponsible bilge in Tweets and pronouncements has debased truth world wide. The Trump effect has spread way beyond America's borders just like the virus spread out of Wuhan. Both are equally dangerous.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Just a quick update. I watched BOJO's news conference today, and Sit Keir Starmer's response. I also watched the six o'clock news and news South East.
The Oxford vaccine is rolling out fast. The staff who were interviewed are very pleased with it. They say they can vaccinate far more people per hour than with the Pfizer vaccine. They say the Oxford vaccine will make a huge difference in speeding up the roll out. The UK does not have the Moderna vaccine yet. Moderna now say their vaccine is stable for a month at normal refrigerator temperatures. This is very good news now, and into the future.

One thing addressed by Professors Chris Whitty and Sir Patrick Valance, was the worry of virus mutation making current vaccines ineffective. They stated as vaccines roll out, it will put more pressure on the virus to mutate in vaccine resistant ways. They stated that here mRNA vaccines have an advantage, as they are the easiest to edit on the fly.

Now, we will never get ahead of this crisis unless we can edit vaccines on the fly, without going through trials. This I think needs addressing now, so that we do not confront it in a crisis. They feel this is almost certain to happen, and are also far from certain the vaccines are as fully effective against the South African mutation.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
No one has died. Conspiracy theories are rife at the moment. That these vaccines alter your DNA as a means of allowing the government control over people is gaining traction apparently. I blame Trump for this. His irresponsible bilge in Tweets and pronouncements has debased truth world wide. The Trump effect has spread way beyond America's borders just like the virus spread out of Wuhan. Both are equally dangerous.
Trump is not the cause here, just a symptom of an underlying condition. The fact that so many people were so easily swayed by an obvious clown like Trump is the problem. Some people say it's a lack of education, but I think it is deeper than that. I think some personality types are susceptible to conspiracy theories, and there is something dark in American culture that exacerbates this. It's ripe material for sociology majors for sure.

S

SimplyEpic

Audioholic
Just like my favorite quote from the movie MIB "People are dumb, stupid, panicky animals." Sheeple will follow anything on social media or that's some sort of trend.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Trump is not the cause here, just a symptom of an underlying condition. The fact that so many people were so easily swayed by an obvious clown like Trump is the problem. Some people say it's a lack of education, but I think it is deeper than that. I think some personality types are susceptible to conspiracy theories, and there is something dark in American culture that exacerbates this. It's ripe material for sociology majors for sure.
Yes, there have always been conspiracy theories, but not like now. They have gone world wide. I have noticed a marked increase from all quarters since Trump has taken a wrecking ball to the truth. An industrial liar like Trump, who can lie with such seeming veracity from a very large megaphone, does huge damage.

I can tell you he is frequently referenced by loonies in the comment sections of UK newspapers. This is something new and worrying. Debassing the truth on the scale Donald Trump has, will have quite a long grim legacy in my view.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Partly yes, partly no. Part of it is that people are VERY stupid. People want to be told what to do and think so they don't have to on their own. People sometimes just want to "belong" to something and Trump fanaticism is something a lot of people can belong to. For some reason. That and a large portion of the population lives in a bubble that has no viewpoint but their own and it's never challenged. This leads to single mindedness and close mindedness that refuses to accept that contrary experiences and viewpoints exist. They simply don't/won't acknowledge that people might think differently than them.

This isn't any different from the anti-vaxx movement taking off or anything else. People want to belong and don't have the critical thinking skills or education needed to go "wait a minute, this is crazy".

Just like my favorite quote from the movie MIB "People are dumb, stupid, panicky animals." Sheeple will follow anything on social media or that's some sort of trend.
This. Pretty much this.

Yes, there have always been conspiracy theories, but not like now. They have gone world wide. I have noticed a marked increase from all quarters since Trump has taken a wrecking ball to the truth. An industrial liar like Trump, who can lie with such seeming veracity from a very large megaphone, does huge damage.

I can tell you he is frequently referenced by loonies in the comment sections of UK newspapers. This is something new and worrying. Debassing the truth on the scale Donald Trump has, will have quite a long grim legacy in my view.
Sadly the internet (social media specifically) have made all sorts of off the wall BS theories a lot bigger because they now have a MUCH larger spot light on them that they wouldn't have had if social media didn't exist. It would basically be the equivalent of someone forwarding you a stupid email chain that gets ignored vs. protests in front of hospitals "cause COVID is a hoax". This same issue is what's causing anti mask people to go nuts. There is a VERY large portion of the population that didn't mature mentally past the age of 7-15 depending on the person.

I didn't come to this realization until I was dealing with my 5 year old and they had a similar meltdown because they didn't want to do something. Same thing with all this other BS we've been dealing with in the last few years. This topic is it's own thread though, but it's a BIG reason things are out of control with COVID so it does (sort of) belong in this thread.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Didn't think I'd randomly stumble on so many today...I don't even have Facebook

04adn98w1j961.png

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Reading all this reminds me of a RANT that I've been slowly brewing for some time now. It's about vaccines and anti-vaxers. I'll have to start writing something, just to organize my thoughts on that topic. If I can get those to go somewhere coherent, I'll post it here. (Where else?)

I miss George Carlin.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
As if I wasn't busy enough with the deluge of Covid going on, the $@^%#* proud boy thugs are gonna lead Cheetohead's protest. Hope we don't get the ED overrun with assault patients.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
G.O.P. has been anti-science, anti-facts and anti-intellectual for decades, and laying the groundwork for people like Trump to rise.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis