What is your favourite release?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Do not besmirch wax cylinder or Victrola. lovinthehd will put his teeth in and bite your head off.:D
You see, thing about jokes is, they're supposed to be funny. So, perhaps in the future you can try a bit harder. On the other hand, maybe they're just not for you.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Eh, they can't all be winners. That's what the doctor told your mother anyway.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, that was beneath everybody here expect maybe me. But, like you said, I may need to try harder or hang it up. If only our President thought as much. But, I digress. While I care little about how anybody talks about my own mother, she really has it coming, I have no business talking about your own. I hope you can accept my apology and enjoy the rest of your day.:)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Ok, that was beneath everybody here expect maybe me. But, like you said, I may need to try harder or hang it up. If only our President thought as much. But, I digress. While I care little about how anybody talks about my own mother, she really has it coming, I have no business talking about your own. I hope you can accept my apology and enjoy the rest of your day.:)
Late reply. Sorry. I held no ju-on.

D

David Lai

Audioholic Intern
Hi friends, this is David. First of all, if you are reading this soon after this was posted, then, happy new year!
Killdozzer and I have been having a conversation about classical music and great recordings to enjoy for your listening pleasure. Since I'm a rising classical pianist now in training, and a completely blind person, I have a good number of recordings to listen to. Also, after agreeing with everyone that I was in deed and audiophile, here is a general direction on recordings to consider for. There are some I just put the name of the box in there, as to list specific works may be too long a post. :) Hope you enjoy them!

Alfred Brendel (Piano): Schubert Impromptus, Op. 90 & 142;
Alfred Brendel and the Cleveland Quartet: Schubert - Piano Quintet in A, Op. 114 'Trout'
Academy of St. Martin in the Field Chamber Ensemble - W. A. Mozart: Clarinet Quintet in A Major, KV 581
Pretty much anything done by the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields with Sir Neville Marriner, from Vivaldi to Bach, and Mozart and Rossini and beyond... Their recording of the Four Seasons, with Alan Loveday on violin is a must-have and my go-to recording for the work! Their Rossini String Sonatas is a great test for your speakers and sistem of how natural the strings can sound.
Recordings by Murray Perahia. Sony collected a box of them in titled "the First 40 Years". If you can get this box of CDs, you'd be having all of his important recordings, solo, chamber and concerto, all lovingly remastered and restored to their full sonic glory. The Mozart piano concertos in this set is especially amazing to listen to in my opinion.
If you want the live experience, getting RCA's Living Stereo series, Mercury's (now issued by Decca) Living Presence (the CD compilations that came out, for example), and other collections like this would be a great place to start.
That was a very rough and general listing. If you have questions about a specific musical work, I'll try hopefully to help you. But I can only comment on the ones I have listened to, though.
Hope this helps! :)
David

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi friends, this is David. First of all, if you are reading this soon after this was posted, then, happy new year!
Killdozzer and I have been having a conversation about classical music and great recordings to enjoy for your listening pleasure. Since I'm a rising classical pianist now in training, and a completely blind person, I have a good number of recordings to listen to. Also, after agreeing with everyone that I was in deed and audiophile, here is a general direction on recordings to consider for. There are some I just put the name of the box in there, as to list specific works may be too long a post. :) Hope you enjoy them!

Alfred Brendel and the Cleveland Quartet: Schubert - Piano Quintet in A, Op. 114 'Trout'
Academy of St. Martin in the Field Chamber Ensemble - W. A. Mozart: Clarinet Quintet in A Major, KV 581
Pretty much anything done by the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields with Sir Neville Marriner, from Vivaldi to Bach, and Mozart and Rossini and beyond... Their recording of the Four Seasons, with Alan Loveday on violin is a must-have and my go-to recording for the work! Their Rossini String Sonatas is a great test for your speakers and sistem of how natural the strings can sound.
Recordings by Murray Perahia. Sony collected a box of them in titled "the First 40 Years". If you can get this box of CDs, you'd be having all of his important recordings, solo, chamber and concerto, all lovingly remastered and restored to their full sonic glory. The Mozart piano concertos in this set is especially amazing to listen to in my opinion.
If you want the live experience, getting RCA's Living Stereo series, Mercury's (now issued by Decca) Living Presence (the CD compilations that came out, for example), and other collections like this would be a great place to start.
That was a very rough and general listing. If you have questions about a specific musical work, I'll try hopefully to help you. But I can only comment on the ones I have listened to, though.
David
Will see if I can try and find some of these on my streaming services.....altho I rarely listen to classical music, don't think I've tried the first three at least....

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai

David
A treasure trove in my eyes!

D

David Lai

Audioholic Intern
Will see if I can try and find some of these on my streaming services.....altho I rarely listen to classical music, don't think I've tried the first three at least....
Well, if you are looking for a nice intro to classical music, music that could make you feel good, the annual New Year's Day Concert of the Vienna Philharmonic would be a good choice. :)

D

David Lai

Audioholic Intern
A treasure trove in my eyes!
Glad you like them! I have to admit I didn't list some of the albums in the bigger box sets, but that would make the reply far too long and I don't want to bore you with CD titles! :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, if you are looking for a nice intro to classical music, music that could make you feel good, the annual New Year's Day Concert of the Vienna Philharmonic would be a good choice. :)
Not really an intro, been exposed to it a fair bit since I was a kid, so some 60 years of exposure here and there, and even have some recordings but it's a very small part of my collection of music. As a matter of fact I have a 1999 New Year's Concert with Lorin Maazel conducting the Wiener Philharoniker. Not sure how I came to own that one particularly, believe it was something someone left in a collection of cd's I kept for playback at the office....so shall put it on and see if it makes me feel good....cheers!

D

David Lai

Audioholic Intern
I'm sharing a release I just heard a couple of days ago and it is really an experience to live through if you have the time, to listen to a concerto or two. The album is Vivaldi's L'estro armonico (which is a collection of concertos), performed by The English Concert and conducted by Trevor Pinnock. The version found on Spotify also couples 6 flute concertos in the end, which I have a physical CD copy of back home in China. If you like period performances, this is a very well-recorded one you don't want to miss. If you prefer modern instruments playing Vivaldi's L'estro armonico, then check out the version with the Academy of St. Martin in the Field with Sir Neville Marriner at the podium.

Side bar: if you got to know me better, you'll know that I'm not only loving classical, but I also enjoy everything from Broadway shows to classic swing and jazz albums, with instrumentalists, famous vocalists and pianists as well. We can get to that another time.

Happy listening! :)

D

David Lai

Audioholic Intern
Hi friends, David here!

I said in my previous post that I'm not just a classical guy, so here we are. I recently heard on Spotify this release of music by Frank Sinatra. This compilation, titled "Standing Room Only", gathers live recordings by Sinatra in 1966 at the Sands Hotel, 1974 at the Spectrum, and 1987 at the Reunion Arena. The Sands Hotel performance have previously been released on the live album "Sinatra at the Sands" and "Vegas Live", but each edition of this show has alternate performances. And I don't mean just one or two songs are alternate, but all of them completely alternative takes. This newly discovered edition is show #2, and the live interaction with the audience is numerous. Of the 3 masterings, of which all can be streamed on Spotify, I love the 2018 mastering most of all. The sound is alive and vivid, the perspective and balance between Sinatra, the Basie band and the audience is the best achieved on disc. And Sinatra's collaboration with Count Basie, after two studio albums, was at its pinnacle here. The other performances are not bad either, especially the 1987 live show.
If you love Frank Sinatra and his music, you will certainly enjoy this set.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis