In need of help choosing the best option for a new receiver and pre amp

D

Desiloth

Enthusiast
Hello,

I am currently running a pair of Cerwin-Vega LS-15's both with woofer replacements of LaVoce WAF153.00 woofers.(Nominal is 400W originally, new woofers go for 500W) Also have a pair of Paradigm Model 11se Mk1(300W). Also will soon have a Centre woofer.

I am wondering what my best options would be for an A/V receiver and preamp for connecting to my computer. I do watch movies sometimes but am a huge music fan.(20/80 music) Currently I have a Harmon/Kardon AVR 130 that has been needing replacement. I am looking for something with lots of power and around 5 channels, maybe 7 if so. I think I will eventually hook up a preamp to the receiver, probably not right away.

I have been looking at Marantz receivers( Marantz SR5015 is what ive been considering, along with Anthem MRX 540) I'm just wondering what some of my best options would be, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Budget is around 1500-2000(Looking for high power)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I'm just wondering what some of my best options would be, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Budget is around 1500-2000
Upgrade your Speakers First

D

Desiloth

Enthusiast
Upgrade your Speakers First
That is definitely not needed sir, thanks though.

The Cerwin Vegas replaced woofers are Nominal 500W and max at 1000W, bass is fine, the Paradigms are vintage and sound beautiful for my treble, and max at 300W. Not sure what your talking about, as well as answering a question that wasn't asked.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why would you need both a receiver and a pre-amp? I'm thinking you don't understand speaker wattage ratings and their usefulness in any case.

D

Desiloth

Enthusiast
Why would you need both a receiver and a pre-amp? I'm thinking you don't understand speaker wattage ratings and their usefulness in any case.
The hell do you think guy? I have had a 100 Watt receiver(sony STR) hooked up to all of these speakers before, it was nice and loud but wasn't mine, looking for something perhaps better than that, high end receivers, 100W+, preamp is for additional power. I don't understand what your not understanding? I am asking for a loud control system.

2 comments on this post so far and both are no help and off topic. What a shitty forum.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The hell do you think guy? I have had a 100 Watt receiver(sony STR) hooked up to all of these speakers before, it was nice and loud but wasn't mine, looking for something perhaps better than that, high end receivers, 100W+, preamp is for additional power. I don't understand what your not understanding? I am asking for a loud control system.

2 comments on this post so far and both are no help and off topic. What a shitty forum.
LOL you have no idea it seems. Good luck in finding a forum where it just reinforces what you already think you know....

D

Desiloth

Enthusiast
I don't think you understand speaker wattage ratings my friend, with my speakers RMS (500+500+300+300=1600) divided by the number of speakers(4) =400, meaning it's recommended I run a max of 400W per channel. Obviously that is a lot, receivers generally are around 100W, preamps can boost that signal higher.

Do your research please.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think you understand speaker wattage ratings my friend, with my speakers RMS (500+500+300+300=1600) divided by the number of speakers(4) =400, meaning it's recommended I run a max of 400W per channel. Obviously that is a lot, receivers generally are around 100W, preamps can boost that signal higher.

Do your research please.
Thanks for continuing to prove you have no clue.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe just for the clueless who might check this thread out, and to perhaps get something thru the OP's thick skull....

A receiver is a combination of a tuner, pre-amp and amp all in one box. A pre-amp can indeed boost signal for a particular amp's needs, or it could even be insufficient....generally you would match up with the combination of pre-amp output level (pre-outs on receivers/integrated amps as well as dedicated pre-amps for example) with the amp's sensitivity level for full use of the amp's capabilities. Adding a pre-amp to a receiver is useless in general. A receiver may or may not be suitable for use as a pre-amp for an external amp.

The speaker max wattage ratings are largely about a limit rather than any specific need or estimation of amp needed, let alone any indication the speakers will sound good at that level at all. Use an spl calculator like this for better estimation of needs http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

D

Desiloth

Enthusiast
Maybe just for the clueless who might check this thread out, and to perhaps get something thru the OP's thick skull....

A receiver is a combination of a tuner, pre-amp and amp all in one box. A pre-amp can indeed boost signal for a particular amp's needs, or it could even be insufficient....generally you would match up with the combination of pre-amp output level (pre-outs on receivers/integrated amps as well as dedicated pre-amps for example) with the amp's sensitivity level for full use of the amp's capabilities. Adding a pre-amp to a receiver is useless in general. A receiver may or may not be suitable for use as a pre-amp for an external amp.

The speaker max wattage ratings are largely about a limit rather than any specific need or estimation of amp needed, let alone any indication the speakers will sound good at that level at all. Use an spl calculator like this for better estimation of needs http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

I used Nominal ratings for my calculations, not max, if i used max, the end figure would have been about 650, my speakers can handle quite the load. As of connecting a preamp to a receiver? why tf not? its literally only boosting the signal. Also not every receiver has a built in Preamp.

So if I got a 100W/ch receiver and got a preamp to match it and perhaps boost it to 200W+/ch, whats the problem? This was my question from the first place and even said I was only thinking about a preamp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I used Nominal ratings for my calculations, not max, if i used max, the end figure would have been about 650, my speakers can handle quite the load. As of connecting a preamp to a receiver? why tf not? its literally only boosting the signal. Also not every receiver has a built in Preamp.

So if I got a 100W/ch receiver and got a preamp to match it and perhaps boost it to 200W+/ch, whats the problem? This was my question from the first place and even said I was only thinking about a preamp.
Yes every receiver incorporates a pre-amp....show me one example otherwise.

In your case you need to find a power amp to use in conjunction with a pre-amp or receiver with pre-outs.....if you really need one. Connecting a pre-amp to a receiver is just silly generally let alone providing any actual boost. Good luck with that.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Hello,

I am currently running a pair of Cerwin-Vega LS-15's both with woofer replacements of LaVoce WAF153.00 woofers.(Nominal is 400W originally, new woofers go for 500W) Also have a pair of Paradigm Model 11se Mk1(300W). Also will soon have a Centre woofer.

I am wondering what my best options would be for an A/V receiver and preamp for connecting to my computer. I do watch movies sometimes but am a huge music fan.(20/80 music) Currently I have a Harmon/Kardon AVR 130 that has been needing replacement. I am looking for something with lots of power and around 5 channels, maybe 7 if so. I think I will eventually hook up a preamp to the receiver, probably not right away.

I have been looking at Marantz receivers( Marantz SR5015 is what ive been considering, along with Anthem MRX 540) I'm just wondering what some of my best options would be, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Budget is around 1500-2000(Looking for high power)
I would easily recommend a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2080 or if your budget is more then the RX-3080, both which are very good for music. I own the Elac B6.2 with a sensitivity of just 87 db and it plays even this loudly, but with super precision. I feel the punch all the time. I switch between different modes including Neural X for youtube music and sound so much better than my previous denon.

With Denon I could hear the music but with too much processing, like some surround artifacts which ruins the musicality. I'm sure the marantz is of the simlar sound but with a different sound signature. It is warm sounding reciever.

If you want more of a natural sounding reciever then the yamaha is one to go for.

The yamaha which I have mentioned has a superior DAC and has beefier amp to run most power hungry speakers.

For the RX-A2080, the rated power is 140 watts/ channel @ 8ohms and for the A3080 the rated power output is just 10 watts more at 150 watts/ channel.

I have a feeling that this will drive your speakers properly but you'll need an amp to get the full potential for the speakers.

Something from emotiva would be good to accompany with the Yamaha.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
I too was planning to get an amp for my Denon, but then I figured out that the Denon doesn't have preouts. Denon seemed too underpowered for a 95 watts reciever, lack of mids, lack of bass, plenty highs but very harsh on the top end.

I'm sure that sony avr even with 100 watts would sound much better than my X2300W Denon.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would easily recommend a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2080 or if your budget is more then the RX-3080, both which are very good for music. I own the Elac B6.2 with a sensitivity of just 87 db and it plays even this loudly, but with super precision. I feel the punch all the time. I switch between different modes including Neural X for youtube music and sound so much better than my previous denon.

With Denon I could hear the music but with too much processing, like some surround artifacts which ruins the musicality. I'm sure the marantz is of the simlar sound but with a different sound signature. It is warm sounding reciever.

If you want more of a natural sounding reciever then the yamaha is one to go for.

The yamaha which I have mentioned has a superior DAC and has beefier amp to run most power hungry recievers.

For the RX-A2080, the rated power is 140 watts/ channel @ 8ohms and for the A3080 the rated power output is just 10 watts more at 150 watts/ channel.

I have a feeling that this will drive your speakers properly but you'll need an amp to get the full potential for the speakers.

Something from emotiva would be good to accompany with the Yamaha.

LOL was just thinking you'd make a good couple!

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
LOL was just thinking you'd make a good couple!
I like the way you troll, instead of giving any decent advise. Keep trolling hard.

Btw, did you find out the weights of both the Denon & Yamaha?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai

Do your research please.
You're so charming. It has been a long time since I've read something this wrong. You made me laugh.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis