Denon or Onkyo or ???

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Does it even f#%kin’ matter? :rolleyes: Speakin’ of f#%kin’, it’s really the only time being center focused and dynamic matter anyway.;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Does it even f#%kin’ matter? :rolleyes: Speakin’ of f#%kin’, it’s really the only time being center focused and dynamic matter anyway.;)
Yeah! I love to focus my center. Dynamically... with Deq.....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
And no. Maybe it doesn’t matter. But AH isn’t really the place for claims of conjecture. Besides, how’s your Yamaha??? lmao.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The idea that brands alone dictate an audible general characteristic.....meh

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The idea that brands alone dictate an audible general characteristic.....meh
WHAAT!!!!! The hell you say...

Btw. Sachmo(not satchmo) aka “party mode” has some fun videos.
I like the center ON TOP OF the AVR. Helps vibration.....
I know. You hate YouTube but just give 10 seconds. Even if it sounds exactly like your laptop.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I made my own choice today. It’s my money so f#%k it. You wanna’ push another Denon or Yamaha on me, you can f#%kin’ pay for it.:p
72ADE078-6EC2-45C0-BBCE-DF580EFD9028.jpeg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I made my own choice today. It’s my money so f#%k it. You wanna’ push another Denon or Yamaha on me, you can f#%kin’ pay for it.:pView attachment 41627
Lmao!!!!! Love the display. Love it...
FWIW, I used many Onkyo AVR’s. I really liked them. 805 and 808 were beasts and the menus were very nice. The only thing I dislike now is accueq. Some parole like it but I’m not sure...
Enjoy!!!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I gotta’ stop takin’ Larry with me when I go window shopping. He almost convinced me to buy a new fuckin’ car and put the new Onkyo in the trunk.:p

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I use manual setup on all of my avr’s. I listen with my own f#%kin’ ears.:p

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I listen with my ears too. But I calibrate with audyssey and minidsp and rew.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, go put your teeth back in the jar.:p
Mostly during covid I've not bothered wearing the dentures, more for aesthetics than they are truly useful. Glad you don't have to use them, tho. Good luck with that :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I could use them as well. If anybody asks about my grill, I tell em’ I’m British.:p

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Your speakers and room have more impact on sound. The avr helps but your speakers will always determine what you can do.
Yamaha is a more dynamic avr so it’ll help add some excitement to you elac. Which are overall a neutral to darker sound.

I do agree to some extent that denon/marantz users are missing out. One thing denon does well is it uses every speaker better in a surround setup. For example Yamaha is more center channel driven. Center is almost always the loudest and other channels you almost have to really listen for if they are active. Until they are obviously called upon for a big action scene. Denon or marantz every channel is more active enveloping you in a different way. Onkyo and pioneer are a little over the top and over active. This is with all speakers level matched, they still do things different. Knowing all this I tune in different ways per each avr brand. Then check with rew.
So what are denons? They are considered to be neutral, and marantz more of a warmish in nature.

I agree room and speakers have some impact on the sound, but in my case, it's the same room, same speaker, same cables except avr.

The moment I switched my Denon to the Yamaha, I noticed an improvement of sound, the yamaha definately sounded better in lower volumes, and more balanced, that too uncalibrated.

After calibration ofcourse it made the sound even better, so in total I would say it was 5x improvement over the Denon.

It made even my crappy subwoofer sing. Now I wasn't hearing just the boomy bass but also, well tuned subwoofer which put out some sweet low end bass notes as per the music that was being played.

But then again the Denon is X2300W which is one model lower to X36000H and that too 4 year old, but I'm still doubting whether X3600H would've sound any different than X2300W, since both are Denons and this a denon which is just 1 model above it.

I saw a post on facebook where the guy just recently bought the Denon X3700H and wanted an amp that could drive his moniter audio silver 300 better than X3700H, it's quite suprising that X3700H being a 2020 can't drive the MAs.

What I've noticed looking at the various post all over the internet is that, for Denon to sound good for music is that, an external amp is crucial part, without which they fail to sound good.

I've also heard the Denon + Taga harmony towers in the retail stores, they were too harsh and lacked the quality.
Same story with my Denon X2300W, elacs were too harsh and unrefined with Denon. This guy in the store was playing a concert DvD encoded in DTS hd format.

Switching to yamaha made a big diference in sound. I can actually hear some mid bass kickin out of the Elac speakers but wirh more accuracy.

Nothing on Denon worked for me, flat being the brightest, reference again being bright and thin, L/R bypass again being dull but did improve the bass but wasn't anywhere as good as yamaha's natural or flat setting.

Switching off audyssey made my speaker sound like an AM radio.

So, alltogether Denon isn't good for people who are a critical listener for music. Therefore I suggested OP to choose Yamaha over Denon.

But the OP feels more comfortable picking the Onkyo, well even the Onkyo will sound punchier than most Denon in the same price range. I have been hearing about it a lot. Onkyo is more punchier than Denon.

So, what in the hell does Denon do then besides sounding crap?

Even my 12 year old Sony htib sounded better than Denon X2300W.

Most pribably the Sony htib playes louder was because of the 3ohm setup making it easier for the slim reciever to sound louder and punchier.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
WHAAT!!!!! The hell you say...

Btw. Sachmo(not satchmo) aka “party mode” has some fun videos.
I like the center ON TOP OF the AVR. Helps vibration.....
I know. You hate YouTube but just give 10 seconds. Even if it sounds exactly like your laptop.

This was when I had no clue on how to adjust the shelf to make more space for the Denon, then later on I had discovered that the shelves were adjustable and just needed to be rescrewed to the lower inserts.

Inspite of having inches of gap, it would feel warm, as if I was playing my speaker at reference level.

All I can say is Denon sounds like some typical cheap avr.

Yamaha sound more like a hifi system with strong punchy bass, and overall produces a more robust sound. It'll change your perception of what an AVR can do.

The reason why you get more channels on the Denon for the price is, ofcourse as Denon focuses on quantity rather than quality.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I’m glad Yamaha has worked so well for you but that doesn’t mean some like the denons as well. People just need to use what they prefer, it’s simple really.

I personally would never use a denon or marantz in my reference rooms. Fastest way to upgrade your sound is always the speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis