Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Seriously, did you get the Murphy 3 way worked out? (Sorry had some long gaps from issues to catch up on reading)
Oh, yeah. They're all set now. I've actually been just using the system without going into settings for long enough to have forgotten what the settings are.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Just skimmed through this entire thread again. Still entertaining. Whatever happened to Adam?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
There's a joke in there about an Adam's apple, but I can't quite put it together...
Joking aside, in a rare FB post he mentioned he hadn't been here in 4 years IIRC.

the Murphy 3 way
DM offers 2 options to tame brightness with this xo. Well, three options being A, B and C (both A+B)

Here's the thing: the brightness lends itself to crystal clear dialog. These speakers get used for low volume TV/movie viewing at night and the dialog is crystal clear to the point where I got to looking at the much smaller CAOW1 design to be my next big regret. Converting that design for center use would be some 9th dan badassery too. They say it's important to have dreams.

It's lucky that I buried the xo's in the cabinets. Otherwise I would be soldering resistors in and out of boards, stinkin' up the place, not listening to sh!t. AND the brightness works in this case. I think the CAOW1 uses the same mids as my ST's and digs a little deeper than the MBOW1 2 ways. Knowing which direction to throw a dollar at gets results. The OW1 tweeter and me ain't done yet. Yeah, I know. It's time to wake up.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Joking aside, in a rare FB post he mentioned he hadn't been here in 4 years IIRC.

DM offers 2 options to tame brightness with this xo. Well, three options being A, B and C (both A+B)

Here's the thing: the brightness lends itself to crystal clear dialog. These speakers get used for low volume TV/movie viewing at night and the dialog is crystal clear to the point where I got to looking at the much smaller CAOW1 design to be my next big regret. Converting that design for center use would be some 9th dan badassery too. They say it's important to have dreams.

It's lucky that I buried the xo's in the cabinets. Otherwise I would be soldering resistors in and out of boards, stinkin' up the place, not listening to sh!t. AND the brightness works in this case. I think the CAOW1 uses the same mids as my ST's and digs a little deeper than the MBOW1 2 ways. Knowing which direction to throw a dollar at gets results. The OW1 tweeter and me ain't done yet. Yeah, I know. It's time to wake up.
Are you using the CAOW1 as surrounds with your SongTowers or did I misunderstand? I heard the CAOW1's, that he built, at Swerd's house. Impressive bookshelf.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you using the CAOW1 as surrounds with your SongTowers or did I misunderstand? I heard the CAOW1's, that he built, at Swerd's house. Impressive bookshelf.
The CAOW1's are what I would like to step up to for a third system coming to a thread near you soon ... :rolleyes:

The ST's have the Swerd built MB27's for surrounds and at least the test tone hand off from main to surround is remarkably seamless. Zero complaints in that department.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The CAOW1's are what I would like to step up to for a third system coming to a thread near you soon ... :rolleyes:

The ST's have the Swerd built MB27's for surrounds and at least the test tone hand off from main to surround is remarkably seamless. Zero complaints in that department.
When I finished building the MB27s, I spent some time comparing them to my CAOW1s. I couldn't really tell which was which.

The SEAS CA15RLY mid-woofer in the CAOW1 goes down to about 50 Hz, and the GR Research M130 mid-woofer in the MB27 goes down to about 55 Hz. I can't say I could hear a difference in mid-woofers. The tweeters are also different, ¾" dome Hiquphon OW1 and 1" dome SEAS 27TFFC, but I also didn't notice a difference.

If you do build a CAOW1, ask Dennis Murphy for the crossover he made for the SEAS ER15RLY mid-woofers combined with the OW1 tweeter. If I remember, your STs use the ER15 instead of the CA15.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
If I remember, your STs use the ER15 instead of the CA15.
I wouldn't dare go taking them apart to find out. Was it Nuance that had a thread about the first pair of these LCY Ribbon jobs? I've never been good about finding old spec's.

I can't say I could hear a difference in mid-woofers.
Does not compute. Must have more expensive mids. Error. :D

Also, I thought I did notice an improvement going up to the OW1 from the SEAS 27TFFC when used nearfield.

So I got this fan for Erin's QSC GX3 amp. Much quieter and it even had the right connector at just the right length. There were quieter options but I didn't want to push my luck further dropping CFPM. So ... it's about as audible as the A/C Infinity fans I tossed on top of the rec'r.

There's also a Rotel RB-981(130 watts into 8 Ohm 20-20k Hz 0.03%) in the mix and Irv's Outlaw Model 975 ... and a nondescript old school Sony CD player. I think ManTown is fixin' to give birth to System 3. I forget why I need all this but it's here along with a couple of RF 15" DVC subs.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Got this wired up with cable pants and bananas. *takes bow*

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
4 into 1 cable pants ... I'll get the vac. But it's a passive Infinity band pass sub for some POS HTIB system. Just a few more payments and she's all mine.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
This was only suppose to be a test but I ended up putting some effort into cabling and those little Infinities pointed wrong, way too high played some Sam Cook and old Stones. It sounded like music to me. I'm driving everything with the Rotel but could use Erin's QSC for a crossed sub signal which makes more sense. Now that it's running I need to RTFM on the 975.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm kinda proud of the fact that there is any bare floor space at all back there. The rack is holding out alright too. That's gotta be around 50 lbs thrown on top without a second thought. With that I'll be able to play around with REW, DATS and maybe some other letters without having to worry about frying something I'm using.

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
This was only suppose to be a test but I ended up putting some effort into cabling and those little Infinities pointed wrong way too high played some Sam Cook and old Stones. It sounded like music to me. I'm driving everything with the Rotel but could use Erin's QSC for a crossed sub signal which makes more sense. Now that it's running I need to RTFM on the 975.

Nice hat, Grandpa.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'm kinda proud of the fact that there is any bare floor space at all back there. The rack is holding out alright too. That's gotta be around 50 lbs thrown on top without a second thought. With that I'll be able to play around with REW, DATS and maybe some other letters without having to worry about frying something I'm using.

No dust devils? I whish the backside of my AV-rack was this clean :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis