The Audyssey MultEQ Editor app users thread (with facts and tips)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
They do look great but only if verified by some REW plots..:D
Agreed! They do seem a little fishy no? I do know their only a predicted response but I don’t know if I’ve ever seen any that looked that good.

N

neoneo

Audiophyte
All the tests I did with rew confirmed that the application works very well.

L

Lattiboy

Audioholic Intern
I got bored and did a quick and dirty REW to see why DEQ -10 is my preferred mode. I level matched the SPL between the two. I wasn’t surprised at the roughly 4db bass boost, but was surprised at the pretty big boost in 9K and above. I have my EQ filter set to 400Hz and below....

20-20k, 1/12 smoothing, DEQ -10 is blue, normal reference is red:

23EE1731-6088-4589-9A7E-189BDB3B3D35.png

N

neoneo

Audiophyte
It shows it correctly. This is how deq works.

When I find time I will upload rew vs audyssey

N

neoneo

Audiophyte
I will give you an example. All tests had the same result. They had the same result either at one point of measurement or at multiple points.

This is what I did in the application.
They are 3 measurements at the same point from the audyssey microphone and verification with rew.
I think the result we see from an application that aims at ease of use and the good result is excellent.
APP 2.jpg

APP 1.jpg

It is very important that the audyssey microphone is not too different from the verification microphone. In my case it is very close. It is also very important to have good speaker placement and speakers with good on axis response. We also want a good off axis response but it is of secondary importance. This will help the room correction system.And of course the philosophy of the app is the ease in combination with the very good results and not the exact target curve in the sense of one db.

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
I will give you an example. All tests had the same result. They had the same result either at one point of measurement or at multiple points.

This is what I did in the application.
They are 3 measurements at the same point from the audyssey microphone and verification with rew.
I think the result we see from an application that aims at ease of use and the good result is excellent.
View attachment 40833
View attachment 40834

It is very important that the audyssey microphone is not too different from the verification microphone. In my case it is very close. It is also very important to have good speaker placement and speakers with good on axis response. We also want a good off axis response but it is of secondary importance. This will help the room correction system.And of course the philosophy of the app is the ease in combination with the very good results and not the exact target curve in the sense of one db.
I am curious about your the curve you have selected. Generally you see a few different variations of an 8-10 db boost from 20khz to 20hz. Some will do a straight line, some will be a 4-6db boost from 200hz-20hz, flatish until 5-10hz and then another slight roll off and quite a lot of variation in between. Yours is showing a 10db boost from 4K to 100hz. Just curious as to you chosen room curve.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I got bored and did a quick and dirty REW to see why DEQ -10 is my preferred mode. I level matched the SPL between the two. I wasn’t surprised at the roughly 4db bass boost, but was surprised at the pretty big boost in 9K and above. I have my EQ filter set to 400Hz and below....

20-20k, 1/12 smoothing, DEQ -10 is blue, normal reference is red:

View attachment 40797

This is what Deq looks like on paper. Might give some insight.

N

neoneo

Audiophyte
I am curious about your the curve you have selected. Generally you see a few different variations of an 8-10 db boost from 20khz to 20hz. Some will do a straight line, some will be a 4-6db boost from 200hz-20hz, flatish until 5-10hz and then another slight roll off and quite a lot of variation in between. Yours is showing a 10db boost from 4K to 100hz. Just curious as to you chosen room curve.
is a test and not a house curve ;)

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic

This is what Deq looks like on paper. Might give some insight.
I recently bought a Denon 4700 as my Sony was dying (I thought). I never used the DEQ equivalent on my Sony as I didn’t think it sounded good. But I’m loving it on the Denon. Love the extra bass and especially the extra juice To my surround speakers. I am all shows and movies so that works for me. anyways surprised how much I like it.

L

Lattiboy

Audioholic Intern
Well, somehow a guy near me was selling the ridiculous RBH 1212NP passive sub with a crown amp for cheap. I can’t wait to do a REW reading when I get the chance!

110lbs of boom!

311658D5-BA6A-4C37-ADAA-6CF1A267DEC5.jpeg

C

CoolHandDuke

Junior Audioholic
Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum and audio stuff in general. I kind of caught the bug on wanting to make improvements to my humble system. Right now I am using:
  • Denon AVR-X2600H (just got this)
  • Infinity R162 mains
  • Hsu VTF2 MK5 (also just got this)
My listening area is a relatively large living/dining area with asymmetrical measurements and openings to a kitchen, small hall, and stairs (I realize not ideal). No current room treatments (have to consider wife).

I ran Audyssey calibration after setting up receiver, but am only recently realizing I have the XT version, not XT32. Disappointed, but it is what it is. I was considering picking up a UMIK and trying to use room correction to dial things in, but I'm not sure how limited i am with the inferior Audyssey capabilities.

I have been reading thru this thread, and trying to take in the info, but it's a lot for a newbie.

Thank you for the info and advice.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum and audio stuff in general. I kind of caught the bug on wanting to make improvements to my humble system. Right now I am using:
  • Denon AVR-X2600H (just got this)
  • Infinity R162 mains
  • Hsu VTF2 MK5 (also just got this)
My listening area is a relatively large living/dining area with asymmetrical measurements and openings to a kitchen, small hall, and stairs (I realize not ideal). No current room treatments (have to consider wife).

I ran Audyssey calibration after setting up receiver, but am only recently realizing I have the XT version, not XT32. Disappointed, but it is what it is. I was considering picking up a UMIK and trying to use room correction to dial things in, but I'm not sure how limited i am with the inferior Audyssey capabilities.

I have been reading thru this thread, and trying to take in the info, but it's a lot for a newbie.

Thank you for the info and advice.
If you only just got the 2600, you should be able to return it and get the 3600 right? If you are within the return window I think you should be able to negotiate a good discount on the 3600. The 3600 is a wonderful machine, it ranked second in the ASR bench tests for quite some time even when those $6,000 separate AV preamp processors were included, beating the $4,999 Marantz AV8805 as well.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
If you only just got the 2600, you should be able to return it and get the 3600 right? If you are within the return window I think you should be able to negotiate a good discount on the 3600. The 3600 is a wonderful machine, it ranked second in the ASR bench tests for quite some time even when those $6,000 separate AV preamp processors were included, beating the $4,999 Marantz AV8805 as well.
Here is the $799 price on the Denon 3600. It's the lowest price I have found:

S

sanu83

Enthusiast
I am also having a Marantz sr7012. I tried to install the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app in my samsung android mobile and not success. can you guys tell me in which android devices you are using to install them

C

CoolHandDuke

Junior Audioholic
Thank you for your reply. I would need to eat a substantial shipping and restocking fee in addition to the extra cost of the machine. I see that that XT does not sample at nearly as many points as XT32. However, if I'm using the app (and the PC Ratbudyssey), am I also limited in the curve corrections I can apply?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis