Looking for thoughts on ATI amps

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
With an average selling price for single family homes in Orange County of ~$750,000, and CA income tax to pay if you rent them out, good luck with that.
Oh, they rent out extremely fast. :D

Seriously, we opened up our 3rd house for rent last Wednesday. The renters signed the 1YR contract with a check for $5,600 deposit the same day.

We listed the house for rent on Monday. Got about a hundred phone calls. We narrowed the ones with the highest credit scores and longest job tenure. Opened the house for viewing on Wednesday at 4pm. They signed the contract that same day.

It was the same with the 2 other houses we rented out.

Houses in southern California (Orange County) sell extremely fast and rent extremely fast. The demand is unbelievably high.

There is a reason we own 3 rental houses all in Orange County, not in Oklahoma! :D

Last edited:

70sMac

Junior Audioholic
SVS, Hsu, Rythmik, Power Sound Audio, Seaton, JTR, Funk all would be good considerations for subs as well as some others. I've not owned the two brands you're curious about, tho....these days I just build my own....but quite a few SVS owners here, probably not quite as many Rythmik owners. SVS has a killer customer service package and is quite a bit bigger than Rythmik now....
Okay, I hope that this isn't coming out of left field, but I received a PM from someone who actually had their subwoofer tested for frequency response. Don't get me wrong, I was very happy to get such a highly-detailed report on a subwoofer, but it does bring a question to mind...

Lovin the HD ~ Have you ever run any tests on the subwoofers you've built? If not, are you pretty happy with your DIY subwoofer results?

I realize that there are people out there who buy enclosures -- for their vehicles -- and install woofers in them...but, quite honestly, I don't know much more than that about the DIY method of building a subwoofer. We do have the capability to do something like this, so I'm very interested in learning more about it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, I hope that this isn't coming out of left field, but I received a PM from someone who actually had their subwoofer tested for frequency response. Don't get me wrong, I was very happy to get such a highly-detailed report on a subwoofer, but it does bring a question to mind...

Lovin the HD ~ Have you ever run any tests on the subwoofers you've built? If not, are you pretty happy with your DIY subwoofer results?

I realize that there are people out there who buy enclosures -- for their vehicles -- and install woofers in them...but, quite honestly, I don't know much more than that about the DIY method of building a subwoofer. We do have the capability to do something like this, so I'm very interested in learning more about it.
I've done general in-room measurements but not a battery of tests like our shadyj would do for a review. I'm very happy with my subs, too. I built the enclosures myself, dimensions based on the driver's t/s parameters (you can model your own relatively easily with software available these days, or just follow someone's lead on a given driver/box design combo). There is a diy subforum here with some specific build threads....as well as other fora that have similar. You can see a variety of third party testing on various drivers and complete subwoofers (and a lot of good information about subs generally) at data-bass.com.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Do you have any thoughts on ... dare I say ... powered subwoofers?
Yeah, I hate powered subwoofers with internal amps. :D

I prefer my amps to be Separate/external from the subwoofer. :cool:

If anything happens to your external amp, you can simply replace it or use another external amp. If the amp is part of the sub and it fails and they no longer make the parts, you're kind of in a pickle.

I mean you could even use your McIntosh amp to power a externally powered subwoofer. How cool is that? Has anyone ever used a McIntosh amp to power a subwoofer? :cool: :D

70sMac

Junior Audioholic
I've done general in-room measurements but not a battery of tests like our shadyj would do for a review. I'm very happy with my subs, too. I built the enclosures myself, dimensions based on the driver's t/s parameters (you can model your own relatively easily with software available these days, or just follow someone's lead on a given driver/box design combo). There is a diy subforum here with some specific build threads....as well as other fora that have similar. You can see a variety of third party testing on various drivers and complete subwoofers (and a lot of good information about subs generally) at data-bass.com.
The last time that I asked about passive versus active subs, which was just yesterday, I was warned that you still have to have Digital Signal Processing (DSP) to effectively make use of a passive sub. Quite honestly, the only real experience we have with subs is the Samsung unit that came with the soundbar we purchased with our LG OLED TV. We didn't hook the thing up for quite a while, but, when we did -- I was very impressed with the results. I think this is why I'm particularly interested in the sub aspect of our simple 5.1 "starter" project.

How much amplification does one need to drive a passive sub? Does one have to purchase additional electronics to make a "passive" sub function properly? How about the variable filtering that I've been told about?

All of this leads me to believe that there must be people out there who've put together the electronics that one needs to get great results out of a DIY passive sub project. Please forgive me if I'm making the proverbial "tip of the iceberg" inquiry, but the only subwoofers I know anything about are the active unit I just mentioned and the ones that practically make cars bounce around.

70sMac

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, I hate powered subwoofers with internal amps. :D

I prefer my amps to be Separate/external from the subwoofer. :cool:

If anything happens to your external amp, you can simply replace it or use another external amp. If the amp is part of the sub and it fails and they no longer make the parts, you're kind of in a pickle.

I mean you could even use your McIntosh amp to power a externally powered subwoofer. How cool is that? Has anyone ever used a McIntosh amp to power a subwoofer? :cool: :D
Believe it or not, I think that there are McPeople who've done that very thing. If the last Mac shop we visited is any indicator, they must have a separate room that is a subwoofer. I mean, they had Mac speakers in there that damn near touched the ceiling, so my "sub room" concept isn't really that far out there. o_O

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Quite honestly, the only real experience we have with subs is the Samsung unit that came with the soundbar I was very impressed with the results.

I think this is wh and the ones that practically make cars bounce around.
Then you haven't experienced quality If that impressed you.

Car audio and home theater are two different things

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Believe it or not, I think that there are McPeople who've done that very thing. If the last Mac shop we visited is any indicator, they must have a separate room that is a subwoofer. I mean, they had Mac speakers in there that damn near touched the ceiling, so my "sub room" concept isn't really that far out there. o_O
I went to the McIntosh website. They don't have any Mac Subwoofers. So if McPeople are powering their passive subs with Mac amps, those subwoofers aren't McIntosh.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The last time that I asked about passive versus active subs, which was just yesterday, I was warned that you still have to have Digital Signal Processing (DSP) to effectively make use of a passive sub. Quite honestly, the only real experience we have with subs is the Samsung unit that came with the soundbar we purchased with our LG OLED TV. We didn't hook the thing up for quite a while, but, when we did -- I was very impressed with the results. I think this is why I'm particularly interested in the sub aspect of our simple 5.1 "starter" project.

How much amplification does one need to drive a passive sub? Does one have to purchase additional electronics to make a "passive" sub function properly? How about the variable filtering that I've been told about?

All of this leads me to believe that there must be people out there who've put together the electronics that one needs to get great results out of a DIY passive sub project. Please forgive me if I'm making the proverbial "tip of the iceberg" inquiry, but the only subwoofers I know anything about are the active unit I just mentioned and the ones that practically make cars bounce around.
DSP is helpful with subs, but not because they're "passive". Passive perhaps could be a sub sold without amp, but the sub will still need an amp, so its not useful as a passive sub all by itself. Most commercially available subs are active subs with built in amplification....altho some are made available with an external or rack amp, and a few as sub for you to choose amp for. With a sealed sub you would generally need some eq to bring up the low end; on a ported or vented design you might need a protective high pass filter to prevent over excursion; generally eq is helpful in using subs due to room characteristics for their frequency range (below the room's schroeder frequency). Some use amps with such dsp built-in, some use external units....those from miniDSP are popular. Amp power needed would be based on the impedance, sensitivity and spl levels and needed eq....like speakers.

The sub from an HTIB/soundbar you mention would be something that would compare poorly to a good sub.

ps For a diy sub an external amp is far easier and more reliable and easier to change if needed....I'd never consider a plate amp myself for such.

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I went to the McIntosh website. They don't have any Mac Subwoofers. So if McPeople are powering their passive subs with Mac amps, those subwoofers aren't McIntosh.
But just think how good their subs sound now since they are being powered by an audiophile McIntosh amplifier! Look at those blue meters go.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
As per the title of this thread, we're looking for thoughts on ATI amplifiers and, specifically, ATI amps that provide three or more channels. Why? As stated in another (AVP) thread, we are long-time stereo people moving into a modest 5.1 setup. We have five speakers for this purpose, so we'll be needing a few more channels of quality amplification -- at least three -- to get the surround system in our heads on its feet.

The ATI brand has been mentioned not only in the thread I just referenced, but also on another audio forum that we, my wife and I, frequent...so we assume that there must be something there... Thanks very much for your time.

ADDENDUM

It occurred to me that some sort of an equipment "listing" might be helpful, so here's some of the items we hope to employ in our new [to us] surround system: (1) MX121 pre-pro, (1) MC300 stereo power amp, (2) B&W 802s, (2) B&W 805s and (1) B&W HTM3S (center)...and, as a "modern" source, (1) Sony X800M2 universal player.

@70sMac, Them top feeder amps, Ati amps are good really good if I could Afford their 5 channel it would be sitting in my house right now, These two AH members are very rich plus they went to College they been having spec shoot outs from day one on AH cause they have all top feeder gear! You gotta be rich to think like them two in the first place. @PENG and @AcuDefTechGuy :p:D:p No but they do know more about understanding specs than I'll ever know. I can't afford a ATi or even a Parasound amp, I 'm a middle feeder amp guy, you know them middle amps like Outlaw, Monolith good amps. But I won't go bottom feeder like Pyle, Emotiva,:D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
But just think how good their subs sound now since they are being powered by an audiophile McIntosh amplifier! Look at those blue meters go.
Well, naturally. :D

But I'm not jealous at all. :D

I mean my subs are being powered by ATI amps. :cool: :D

70sMac

Junior Audioholic
No, I've never heard of a McSub, either. I was kidding around about the huge Mac Speakers we listened to as we humored the owner of the store...[rimshot] ;) We have, however, heard of B&W subwoofers, so...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No, I've never heard of a McSub, either. I was kidding around about the huge Mac Speakers we listened to as we humored the owner of the store...[rimshot] ;) We have, however, heard of B&W subwoofers, so...
Are the B&W powered subs on your list?

Don't tell me - your wife wants to put down a deposit for some B&W subs. :D

70sMac

Junior Audioholic
Are the B&W powered subs on your list?

Don't tell me - your wife wants to put down a deposit for some B&W subs. :D
No, I've taken her to see Mac equipment, but I've never really gotten her "into" the whole B&W thing. I only mentioned B&W because that's what we have to work with...so, shssssh, don't say anything. She might take the McSub thing seriously. ;)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Oh, they rent out extremely fast. :D

Seriously, we opened up our 3rd house for rent last Wednesday. The renters signed the 1YR contract with a check for $5,600 deposit the same day.

We listed the house for rent on Monday. Got about a hundred phone calls. We narrowed the ones with the highest credit scores and longest job tenure. Opened the house for viewing on Wednesday at 4pm. They signed the contract that same day.

It was the same with the 2 other houses we rented out.

Houses in southern California (Orange County) sell extremely fast and rent extremely fast. The demand is unbelievably high.

There is a reason we own 3 rental houses all in Orange County, not in Oklahoma! :D
I figured they would rent fast. I lived and worked in Irvine for a year recently, and of all the places I've lived it is my favorite. My wife doesn't care for it much, she's more of an LA beach city fan, but I think Irvine is awesome. On the other hand, I don't miss paying California income taxes one bit. Also, I'm not sure I could trust a renter with a $750K asset. No matter, my wife has forbid me from ever becoming a landlord.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I figured they would rent fast. I lived and worked in Irvine for a year recently, and of all the places I've lived it is my favorite. My wife doesn't care for it much, she's more of an LA beach city fan, but I think Irvine is awesome. On the other hand, I don't miss paying California income taxes one bit. Also, I'm not sure I could trust a renter with a $750K asset. No matter, my wife has forbid me from ever becoming a landlord.
One thing that pleasantly surprised me about S. Cal is the home insurance premiums. For our 3 houses, the premiums (ANPAC) are about $500/YR for each of the two 1500SF houses and about $700/YR for the 3500SF house.

I mean the combined premium for all 3 SC houses is HALF the premium of our Oklahoma house.

I don't want to live anywhere in Cali, though. But I'm afraid one day I will have to move from my 5500SF home in OK to a much smaller house in S. Cal. because my wife loves S.Cal. :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis